Zelda Reorchestrated: the entire Ocarina of Time soundtrack with an orchestra

atomicthumbs

I just discovered Zelda Reorchestrated.

Remember how OoT had two soundtracks: Hyrule Symphony (with a string ensemble and some other instruments), and the OST (just the music recorded directly from the game, with all the tiny little item found tunes and stuff)?

This is the OST, but with an orchestra instead of the Nintendo 64's sound chip. This thing is totally awesome.

http://www.zreomusic.com/

I listened to it and decided to mirror it because it was so good. I'm hosting the Houston mirror.

I just discovered Zelda Reorchestrated.

Remember how OoT had two soundtracks: Hyrule Symphony (with a string ensemble and some other instruments), and the OST (just the music recorded directly from the game, with all the tiny little item found tunes and stuff)?

This is the OST, but with an orchestra instead of the Nintendo 64's sound chip. This thing is totally awesome.

http://www.zreomusic.com/

I listened to it and decided to mirror it because it was so good. I'm hosting the Houston mirror.

Ah, here we go again. I created a thread like this a couple years ago. Apparently there's some kind of bad blood between zreo and OC Remix. Just giving you a heads up.

Still, I do listen to their music. I've got a collection.

Ah, I remember this... and the controversy. IIRC, there was some rumor of it being some kind of MIDI rip or whatnot. That was pretty long ago. Nevertheless, it's still nice to listen to.

Well, having listened to most of it (just about finished) the tracks that are redone are really stellar. A few of them took me by surprise by their quality, in that, they took an old piece of music and made it sound completely different just by making the quality better. That said, there are quite a few themes that feel like they have had little done to them outside of changing their instruments. I don't know that I agree with some of the choices they've made, and some songs do sound very midi-ish. There are a handful that sound like midi's with new soundfonts laid on top. And again, on occasion those instruments don't sound great on a few choice tracks.

All in all, a cool download. While its true that quite a few do sound like a glorified midi rips, the few that are really redone are very fun to listen to. Some of the instrument choices could have been better. There were at least two times where my ears hurt from a frequency coming out of some of the higher octave instruments.

A trip down memory lane.

These all sound midi-ish to me so far, mostly like they just slapped EWQL on them or something. There's no extended orchestration and no new material. It's stale arranging.

Isn't that the point? I got the impression that these guys were more concerned with upgrading the sounds of the original OST, not re-arranging the music. It's a neat idea, even if the sound production isn't nearly as good as a lot of OCRs; but to be fair, that site had a completely different focus from that of OCR's rearrangement policy. Props to zreo for fully completing its goal.