Resident Evil 2 - I Don't Wanna Leave This Safe Room (ReSub Time!))

Dash Myoku

Well, this was turned down on the Judges Board, but they want me to resubmit with some changes. So now I'm in the process of going back over this to fix it up and hopefully get it to pass in Round 2.

stats.png

This is update #1 of the Resubbed version. So far, it's just the beginning half of the remix. There wasn't much that they wanted me to change, instrumentation-wise, but this remix is probably over a year old by now and I've acquired better sound libraries, so I'm trying to use those in this. So far, it feels a little rocky to me. I'm not sure that I want to re-add the delay setting I had on the Piano and I'm really trying to get away from the stock drum-loop I used, hence why that was changed to FPC drums. Either way, the Piano feels the same, as in mechanical (or at least to me anyways), but I'm not quite sure how to remove that from the equation. The Pad in the background is still the same, though it bores me, so I'm looking to replace it with something that fills the space better.

Um, I removed the synth bass and added in a more realish souning bass (Scarbee, if anyone knows it)...and that's really about all I've done with it. Between the issues I've stated, I'm also trying to figure out a better way to transition to the latter part of the remix, probably add in a different drum sequence there as well so it doesn't get boring, like in the first version. But yeah, give this a listen (older versions are below) and let me know what you think so far. I'll probably have another update tomorrow at some point. (Link to Judge stuff HERE)

-----------------------OLDER VERSIONS----------------------------

Click here to download RE2 SafeMix.mp3

Yeah, I'm bad with naming remixes. But whatevs, I'm a little stuck on where I should take this. I kinda want to get more electronic or trance-y with this, but the current feel I have for it feels...well, pretty good.

Maybe I ought to branch off and do some original composition, then have a big lead up to a tranced version of the theme? I just don't know right now...

---------------

stats.png

Semi-finished remix. Let me know what you guys think and enjoy! :D

-----------

Update#1:

stats.png

Changed a few things. I haven't added any original sections just yet, or messed around with the background stuff (Sorry Spoon), though I did add a couple of Pippi's ideas with the percussion at the intro 'n such. I also left out a few things towards the end, such as the Triplet Synth that played. I still don't know that I like that enough to keep it in. I'm feelin' like somethin' stronger should be in-place of it, so we'll see how that one turns out. So basically, still just a shell until I add in some original sections and a big, strong finish.

-----------

Update#2:

stats.png

Well, I didn't get to do what I really wanted with this. Couldn't really come up with any original sections to add in or anything. So, the best bet for me was to keep it simple and chill. As is, I think it works for what I originally wanted, minus a big trance-y section. Let me know what you guys think! :D

-----------

Update#3:

stats.png

Not a very big update, but I added in some sweet string swells for the second part of the track. When I was rendering this, I forgot to unmute a NES synth I had playing. Also, I realize the low-end of the song gets a little distorted towards the end, but I've already fixed that. I would've rendered the better version, but it takes forever on this computer. Another note, I realize the swells are a little overpowering, but not to fear, I already fixed that as well. Also, I really would like to add a stutter effect to the strings. Nothing that would overtake the strings, just as a little something for when they're building and dying. Sort of like just playing between which times they happen. I use FL, but I'm not exactly sure on how to pull that off. If any one knows how or can direct to me to something that can help me, please let me know.

I like the soundscape you have going here. The synth that comes in midway through has an awesome eerie feel to it, which is perfect. I'd say the song might be a little repetitive; try mixing up the background a little bit more, making variations here and there. Maybe some more original material, too. I really like how this sounds so far, very chill.

Awesome, thanks Spoon (if I can call you that lol). Since that last update on there, I actually changed that one synth. I'd upload that, but it'd be a waste to do that and not work on the other things you mentioned.

I'll go ahead and rework some things, see how I can add in some original sections and then onward-forth with the climax of the remix. :D

From a first listen, it feels like an awfully slow build, even for chill trance. It's something like 4 bars before the drums come in, and then another 2 bars or so before the melody synth comes in to replace the piano. I like where the piano shifts to, however.

I really like the change of tone once you introduce some of the breakbeat drummachine loops. I think the final minute or so is the strongest part of the piece.

If it were me producing the piece, I would sporadically fade the early snare and tambourine into the piano intro starting right after the piano starts to echo and fade.

I almost think the triplet synth after the breakbeat loop is introduced a little earlier than it needs to be, if you keep the lower piano chord echoing with a longer sustain and fade on the off-8th beat from the higher piano chords I think they would interplay very nicely, each coming in opposite the other. With the bass chords fading out so quickly right now, you don't get to hear it very much.

When I listen to chill, I like it especially when the piece weaves the instruments together, in and out around one another, playing with how they sound in various combinations. I think that could give you some more room for experimentation, perhaps adding interstitial measures of something else like a cymbal fill, or a new synth pad, but dropping it once it was done playing. You could tease different instrument tracks all through the piece.

So, those are my ideas, take them or leave them; it's your remix in the end.

Well, I like a lot of your ideas, Pippi. I'm going to try and implement a few of them and try them on for size, possibly give my own spin and see what happens.

I was actually a little ify about the triplet-synth, but I left it anyways. I guess it works fine for that part of the remix...just maybe not when it's introduced so earlier on in that particular section. Thanks for the feedback/ideas!

Got an update for you's guys.

I think it's funny, inbetween playing Phantasy Star Online, I've been workin' on this bit by bit. Making small changes and adding in small, but new things. I know that Spoon liked the original synth that played before everything gets all big and synthy. That DID change, but it can definitely come back by popular demand (the original synth is in the initial mp3, just for reference).

I'm in a hurry right now, but a quick thing I can hear that can be changed is the deep piano chords. It sounds really nice overall, but the deepest shouldn't have fifths that deep, then it starts sounding quite muddy. Thirds starts sounding muddy even earlier, you didn't use so many of them though, if any. You can replace the fifth with an octave and an fifth above there again, or some different design on the chords to fix it up :)

• 1 month later...

loooool Silent Hill I could understand...but 11th Hour?! Just to clarify, you ARE talking about Lamb of God, right? XDDD

Yeah, I definitely favored that pad over the original I had. It's not too over-powering, but it's enough to give off a nice effect with everything. And yeah, I 'll try my hand at some Silent Hill. Any particular track you had in mind for me to do?

Thanks for the response though, I was giving up hope there for a minute. x]

loooool Silent Hill I could understand...but 11th Hour?! Just to clarify, you ARE talking about Lamb of God, right? XDDD

Yeah, I definitely favored that pad over the original I had. It's not too over-powering, but it's enough to give off a nice effect with everything. And yeah, I 'll try my hand at some Silent Hill. Any particular track you had in mind for me to do?

Thanks for the response though, I was giving up hope there for a minute. x]

Sorry, my bad - not 11th hour, I'm mixing up stuff here. I meant 7th Guest. Wow I musta been real tired when I wrote that lol.

As for the Silent Hill track, I think you'd do real well with Silent Hill 3: Dance with the Night Wind.

the piano is mixed sorta harshly, the upper octave in particular is a bit piercing during the louder melodic portions, such as 1:05. the bass is a little overpowering as well, and there's some noticeable distortion during 2:30-3:05ish section.

good choice of source, i like the feel you have going and the glitchy drums are a nice touch. the arrangment is nice and full, but it does get a little repetitive. cool stuff, stick to it!

• 1 year later...