OMG Robot Vampires - A Castlevania remix (yes! Another!)

Doni

Howdo Folks,

I made a remix of the infamous "Vampire Killer", the stage 1 track from Castlevania 1. I also mixed in the intro bit that plays right before the gameplay starts... its like some sort of ominous chord progression...

The track itself is a cheesy electro remix. I was trying to make something true to the source but different than what's been done before, while staying true to my style a bit.

Anyways, I hope you guys like it, give me some feedback if you want, and by all means, feel free to download the track.

This track is part of a 10 track album I am making devoted to my favorite game music. Hopefully I can get some of the tracks onto the site here but it seems as though it takes forever for tracks to be reviewed. Standards are important and must be adhered to, of course, but that doesn't mean I can't complain! :<

Anyways, here's the link:

Doni - Robot Vampires

Yeah. I don't know what happened to OCr. Not much feedback these days. Anyway, I just came back from a business trip and getting your tune. Will be back with comments in a short while. You can take a listen to my new song in the mean time (lol! I know) :) Let's help each other out.

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27026

will edit this post later

EDIT: (After listening)

This is one of my favorite musics of all time and I was thinking of remixing it too but then decided to go with the one above. I think the intro dragged too long and lost it's charm after a few measures. Also the lead needs to stand out a little more. You should also add some more stuff in the background (other than drums and percs). Anyway, can't go wrong with "Vampire killer"

Are you doing an electro album? because your previous track "SOR: Dirty Alien" was also a bit similar.

Feels to me like ya brought an R&B beat to a trance competition. Might wanna consider either funk'ing it up a bit , or adding something to the weaker sounding snare type beat. Feels a tad hollow at times , like so much more could be added. The deep bass lead could use some added oomph.

If you were going for something less original and something more exotic , cheesy tech isnt usually the way to go. I would try giving the lead more of a pronounced place. Either that or lessen it and go for a cheesy drum beat of it. Just ideas. Sorry if they were a tad harsh. >_<

EDIT: (After listening)

This is one of my favorite musics of all time and I was thinking of remixing it too but then decided to go with the one above. I think the intro dragged too long and lost it's charm after a few measures. Also the lead needs to stand out a little more. You should also add some more stuff in the background (other than drums and percs). Anyway, can't go wrong with "Vampire killer"

Are you doing an electro album? because your previous track "SOR: Dirty Alien" was also a bit similar.

Firstly, yes, I am doing an electro album. This serves a couple purposes:

1. The listening pleasure of the publix
  2. To give me more weapons when I play my dj shows out

The intro might sound a little longish, but im going to be mixing this track into another, so imagine the intro just kind of growing out of the ass of another track... that's the concept on that one. I guess it's not as dynamic as most of what is popular on OCR but it's not a song that's made for everyone to like, mostly it would be something people like inside of a set or if they are a big fan of this kind of electro.

I experimented alot with the lead. I wanted it to sound a bit detuned and burried. Not sitting on top of the mix at all. This is a bit more of a deep sounding mix. However, I am leaving it away from my ears for about another week so I can fully decondition my ears before I take another listen... so I might do another mixdown, have to wait and see :<

thanks as always for the feedback!

Feels to me like ya brought an R&B beat to a trance competition. Might wanna consider either funk'ing it up a bit , or adding something to the weaker sounding snare type beat. Feels a tad hollow at times , like so much more could be added. The deep bass lead could use some added oomph.

If you were going for something less original and something more exotic , cheesy tech isnt usually the way to go. I would try giving the lead more of a pronounced place. Either that or lessen it and go for a cheesy drum beat of it. Just ideas. Sorry if they were a tad harsh. >_<

If by bringing an RnB beat to a trance competition you mean it sounds fuck up, I assure you it is intentional...

The beat is kind exactly how I want it. It might sound weak but the beat is not based on snare variation or funk type drums at all. Its based on cheap and cheesy sounding beats.

What are you listening on? I'd need to know before I added any oomph to anything. This track needs to come out sounding clean through a massive club stereo system, so if I add too much oomph something that isnt a bassline or a kick drum, i'd run the risk of muffling the entire song and rendering it not playable in the format it was designed for.

You're going to have to explain this statement to me: "If you were going for something less original and something more exotic" because exotic means more original... so what you said means i am going for something less original and more original at the same time... je ne comprende pas...

You're going to have to explain this statement to me: "If you were going for something less original and something more exotic" because exotic means more original... so what you said means i am going for something less original and more original at the same time... je ne comprende pas...

To me , originality is of your own creation. To make it exotic is to take it a step further and make it original and focus is on a genre that is less tapped into. In your case , ya want it to sound like "f**ked up" trance. Making it original (your idea) and exotic (uncommonly used trance type). Sorry for the confusion.

Remember though, while it is your music and your ideas on hand here, ya do have some people to impress to get it passed the panel. So if your intentions are something wierd and funky , get ready for some explaining of your motives.

To me , originality is of your own creation. To make it exotic is to take it a step further and make it original and focus is on a genre that is less tapped into. In your case , ya want it to sound like "f**ked up" trance. Making it original (your idea) and exotic (uncommonly used trance type). Sorry for the confusion.

Remember though, while it is your music and your ideas on hand here, ya do have some people to impress to get it passed the panel. So if your intentions are something wierd and funky , get ready for some explaining of your motives.

Well, I'd have to say that you must not know much about the music on this forum. There is not that much in terms of electro house at all. I think you are generalizing between techno and electro house... there is quite a difference. If you want to call it fucked up trance... ok... but the only arbitrary elements this song shares with trance is a kick drum and the use of arpeggio... I'm still confused by what you mean.

Although I'd love the panel to approve this song, that is secondary to my motives. I am making an electro album and this song is going on there regardless. Also, I already explained that my intentions are something weird...