OCR01168 - Strider "Vibe Victory"

hmm.. i usually dont post review, but have to for this one.. its very excellent! actually, i really got a feeling of enjoyment from the mellow, cool tunes of this song, will go onto cd for sure. hope can see more from this remixer!

Not your typical fast paced remix but it's easy to listen to...that's probably what I like about it the most.

For some reason this mix reminded me of that Linus Spacehead remix that was hot not very long ago, which is definitely not a bad thing. This mix just gives off a casual aura. At 2:10 some chimes kick in that really caught my attention.

Nice mix.

I think i started to like this song the second i heard the rhodes....so in the beginning. It's one of those soft mellow kinda chill songs that you just wanna listen to while you're sitting on your ass doing nothing and enjoying every second of it. Good mix.

Although i played the game a lot (i'm one of those rare people who grew up with a sega, and not a SNES) i just can't remember or place this piece in the game. But that doesn't stop me from enjoying it as a wonderful piece. I can actually see a jazz troupe playing this piece, i wonder if QF can write the sheet music down and sell it.

Dude, this is way impressive. The drumming in particular strikes me as very different from the usual electronically-produced track, mainly in it's complexity. The overall difficulty of this song, both in its making and its ability to be understood by the average layman, is to be respected. In two words: nice work. :nicework:

I was hoping I'd like this. Quinn Fox's last few pieces have been outstanding, and I was hoping he'd continue the trend. Right away, this sounds a lot like his two FF6 mixes. The sequencing/playing is very good all around and though some of his samples sound to me like cheesy demo keyboard presets, he's used them very well.

All around, pretty groovy and a nice mix to listen to. Good job.

• 4 months later...
Although i played the game a lot (i'm one of those rare people who grew up with a sega, and not a SNES) i just can't remember or place this piece in the game. But that doesn't stop me from enjoying it as a wonderful piece. I can actually see a jazz troupe playing this piece, i wonder if QF can write the sheet music down and sell it.

This is the song "counter-strike" redone in a jazzy way. The level was one of the very last ones, with spikes coming out of the walls and cielings, and a lot of pits to fall "up".

I loved this game when I was younger, and when I bought an old copy of Herzog Zwei, a friend let me borrow his Genesis, since I didn't have one. He happened ot own strider, and I once again got to enjoy it. It's music was and still is quite unique.

Any ways, for a while, every time I would here this song come up on my MP3 player, I'd have to go play it again. Good remix. I hope to hear another one form Strider one day.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Absolutely amazing. Reminds me of Nightmares on Wax or Layo & Bushwacka! Great stuff. As DJP's write-up says, it's absolutely amazing what QuinnFox did to the original tunes to convert them into this stylized piece of jazzy downtempo here. "Theme for Counterattack" in particular had a 3/4 time signature and was really fast and crazy, while "Mass of Cloud" was really slow, ambient, and was in 4/4. Yet he took both tracks and merged them into a cohesive, awesome remix.

And yeah, this soundtrack definitely is a bitch to remix. I've tried a number of times, myself, and I still intend to tackle Defense Line / Raid! at some point.

• 2 years later...

Pretty chillin mix; It has a smooth groove, and though i'm not completely sold on the the panning ideas (as the bass was all in the right side, making it really unbalanced), overall its a good mix.

I think it could be improved with an additional melodic instrument; piano, epiano and bass makes for a pretty static listening experience. I think some smokey muted trumpet would sound killer all up in here, but as is, it works.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Ahh, we're back into the Quinn Fox chilled vibe. Classic sound. I'm not totally onboard with the panning decisions, but that is personal preference. The piano performance and sound is by far the best that you've done and it sounds great! I really wish the bass would have been centered. It would have really balanced the track so well. It's such a great rhythmic line that we lose from the panning. The chill vibe here is excellent. The militaristic snare pattern is a great juxtaposition on the track as a whole. The trumpet, while clearly synthetic, adds a really nice touch to the sound. I can't imagine how this might sound if you were able to get studio musicians to rock this bad boy. Classic Quiin chill material here and highly recommended!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01168 - Strider "Vibe Victory"