(WIP) Ballad - Sonic Adventure: Azure Blue World

So I'm making a ballad for the first time, any help would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z3MzUZ5isQ <= Original

http://www.kiraoftrance.com/azureballad.mp3 <= Arrangement

This is (suppose to be) a ballad arrangement for a male and female duo of the song "Azure Blue World" from the game Sonic Adventure. It's in the early stages so it doesn't have a lot and production will improve too. Also, lyrics are being made as we speak, so no vocals yet and no arrangement title either.

Just for FYI, the oboe is the female part and the bassoon is the male part. Those will disappear when vocals replace them.

I figure getting an early WIP in and getting some feedback would help me before I get too into and have to change the whole song.

Tell me what you think!

Wow, thanks for the awesome feedback. I know this song isn't anywhere near OCR ready, but you comments make me believe I'm on the right path. :)

EDIT: Just listened to Vega's Ballad. I dunno, I thought ballads were suppose to be slow. This is more like an R&B track without vocals... :( But that's just IMO...

Also, lyrics are well on their way. The female vocalist also needs to find a day off so that she can record too >_>

For it to be a good duet, there needs to be some call-and-response between the vocals. Right now you've got them trading off verses, and then harmonizing the chorus, which is fine up to a point.

I think it might take until the lyrics are written for the interplay to shine through, because then you'll know when it would be appropriate.

The best duet example I can think of is the arranged version of "Somewhere Out There" from An American Tail, particularly during the bridge and reprise, the male and female vocals play off of each other beautifully.

I also think you might want a little more percussion. Not too much, but a little more snap to the kick and snare drums, and maybe one more kick just before the snare,

so the measure goes: Kick-and-2-kick-Snare-and-4-...

I suppose I'm just expecting it because it's been a trope in R'n'B ballad percussion for 20-odd years.

Aside from that, there's not too much I have to say about it. It seems very well thought out, though with the oboe and bassoon covering the melody right now, the bass is really forward in the mix. I would assume once you get peoples' voices, what with their grater dynamic range than synthesized instruments, the bass would fit perfectly.

Hope that helps.

Oh...

I've been taking my cue from Disney's ballads actually... Most of them don't even have drums in them...

I'll see what I can do as far as female/male responses. That's actually a pretty good idea considering the lyrics so far.

Which is the story that the ballad tells:

It's actually the Sonic versus Amy conflict, except at the end they get together. She likes him, but he doesn't really feel that way about her. He does care about her, and in the end forms feeling for her.

Not much of a story, but hey, it keeps with that small part of the Sonic Adventure storyline.

So far it's a nice sounding piece without anything notably jarring. The drums are pretty weak most of the way through, and the bassline seems very simple. It might just be a personal preference, but I think a slightly more inspired bassline might add life to the mix.

The lyrics/vox and actual production value beyond midi renders will all dramatically change how it sounds regardless of any other changes, I'd say to record the vocals and go with the rest of the production around them if you're happy with the melody.

I think it's gonna be hard to comment on this, since the vocals are most likely going to be the focal point of this mix. Taking that into consideration, I think it's off to a good start, though I think I might give those drums a little more punch and do a little more with that hihat.

Maybe these two songs may inspire you, they've worked for me in the past:

Again, it'll probably be easier to comment once we hear the vocals...hope my 2 cents help at all.

• 3 weeks later...