Looking to buy a keyboard

The Mutericator

Hey all, thanks for clicking and reading. Here's the deal: it's been a goal of mine to learn piano for a long time now, and now that I've got graduation money to spend (but mostly save) and a job theoretically on the way, I'm looking to invest in a keyboard so I can practice at home in between the lessons I'll be taking.

Problem is, there doesn't seem to be a market (that I can find) for what I'm looking for. I want, optimally, something sub-$500 that has 88 keys and none of the addon stuff (all the different instruments, et cetera).

I realize this is a pretty odd request, but basically, I don't want to have to buy a new keyboard again if I can avoid it, and I plan on taking this pretty seriously.

So my questions are:

a) is getting an 88-key out the door as important as I'm making it?

if so,

B) where might I procure one for as little monies as possible?

or if not,

c) what size should I go for, and how might I obtain one that's a good price? Remember, features aren't important, just number of keys.

I have an (88-key hammer action) Casio CDP-100 that I'm happy with. Retail is about $350 without a stand. I got mine used for $250 off of craigslist. The internal speakers are pretty bad, but the piano sound itself is decent. The polyphony is low, which means that notes will start disappearing if you sustain a whole lot of them. Not a really big deal, but it can be annoying. I like the action a lot -- even more than much more expensive Yamahas that I've used.

You definitely want something with 88 keys and hammer action if you can find it. I'm not sure if you can get both of those on anything besides the CDP-100 for under $500.

88 keys is far from essential; it'll take years of practicing before you come across material that requires it, and even then, it's mostly more advanced classical and jazz where you might need that range. I use a 73-key keyboard and have never once had an issue with the missing octave-and-a-half for anything I perform (rock, pop, jazz-type stuff). What *is* important is having good weighted action if you want to be a pianist and not just a keyboard player.

88 keys is far from essential; it'll take years of practicing before you come across material that requires it, and even then, it's mostly more advanced classical and jazz where you might need that range. I use a 73-key keyboard and have never once had an issue with the missing octave-and-a-half for anything I perform (rock, pop, jazz-type stuff). What *is* important is having good weighted action if you want to be a pianist and not just a keyboard player.

Pianist is my goal, yes. By "weighted action," do you mean the weight of the keys, the strength required to push them down?

I have an (88-key hammer action) Casio CDP-100 that I'm happy with. Retail is about $350 without a stand. I got mine used for $250 off of craigslist. The internal speakers are pretty bad, but the piano sound itself is decent. The polyphony is low, which means that notes will start disappearing if you sustain a whole lot of them. Not a really big deal, but it can be annoying. I like the action a lot -- even more than much more expensive Yamahas that I've used.

You definitely want something with 88 keys and hammer action if you can find it. I'm not sure if you can get both of those on anything besides the CDP-100 for under $500.

Oh damn, that solves the problem pretty quickly. I'm gonna wait on snatching that one until I know what weight action is and get a few more opinions, but if I don't hear any good arguments against it, I'm definitely gonna nab that one.

Thanks a bunch to both of you!

Pianist is my goal, yes. By "weighted action," do you mean the weight of the keys, the strength required to push them down?

Yes, exactly. There are three classes of weights of the keys. Synth action is really light, weighted is a piano feel (or reasonably close to it), and semi-weighted is more like an organ, somewhere in the middle.