Lucky Number Show remix from Pokémon (F!N!SHED)

BlackPanther

Hey guys, I had a Ragnarok Online remix I had posted not to long ago but lost the motivation for it so I'll work on it later. I definitely want to finish this song though since I've always liked the song when I played the Crystal version. But I would greatly appreciate feedback and what could use some work.

Source

Remix

First Update

Final Update

Edit: It came to me a while back. But when I fired up my Pokemon Crystal game, I forgot that there was dialogue when you stay on the radio mode in your pokegear and Reed and he gives his intro to the lucky number show and tells you the number. I would like to add that element into the remix I'm workin on.

What I need is someone with a decent mic with a dry recording of that dialogue and I need it to be charismatic like how Reed appears to be when he's sayin all of that. If anyones interested please give me a pm and I'll give you further details...

• 3 weeks later...

I was listening to the source on youtube while your song came up in foobar and they synced perfectly! That was pretty awesome.

Some of the synth work you have here is neat, especially around 1:20 and on. You need to bring the bass forward, I might change the sound and EQ it so it's a bit deeper and works with the percussion to give it more of a backbeat instead of being kind of distorted like it is now. In general, you could use some EQing and processing here and there.

Arrangementwise, just make it longer and expand it further, maybe have a breakdown or something like that. I'm not incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to this genre, but I'm sure you'll have some ideas.

pretty nice work so far! keep it up!

I was listening to the source on youtube while your song came up in foobar and they synced perfectly! That was pretty awesome.

Some of the synth work you have here is neat, especially around 1:20 and on. You need to bring the bass forward, I might change the sound and EQ it so it's a bit deeper and works with the percussion to give it more of a backbeat instead of being kind of distorted like it is now. In general, you could use some EQing and processing here and there.

Arrangementwise, just make it longer and expand it further, maybe have a breakdown or something like that. I'm not incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to this genre, but I'm sure you'll have some ideas.

pretty nice work so far! keep it up!

Thanks Liz I really appreciate the feedback. Are you sayin you don't like the bass as is now? Because I did the weird distortion effects on purpose because I like the way it sounded and I had a few others say they like it or do you mean it shouldn't be as prominent? I'll get to work with the eq'ing and all that the minute my stands come in for my new krk's, lol I'm soo excited xD.

Anymore takers? I need/want all the help I can get.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty disappointed that I haven't gotten anymore feedback for my remix but hopefully this'll spark some interest, I edited this on the first page:

It came to me a while back. But when I fired up my Pokemon Crystal game, I forgot that there was dialogue when you stay on the radio mode in your pokegear and Reed and he gives his intro to the lucky number show and tells you the number. I would like to add that element into the remix I'm workin on.

What I need is someone with a decent mic with a dry recording of that dialogue and I need it to be charismatic like how Reed appears to be when he's sayin all of that. If anyones interested please give me a pm and I'll give you further details.

Hmmm what is it about that distortion you don't like? Because I like it which means I'm probably gonna keep it xD same with the texture, which I assume the one that's doin the arpeggio. Is it that you don't like that distortion in general or is there somethin about it that you think could be worked on? Another thing is that I have an updated file of the song but my computer is undergoing some heavy maintenance so I don't have access to the file but the bass and distortion combo sounds different than what you're hearin now. I'll work on that texture to make it more cohesive with the rest of the track because it comes back in later.

Also. I still need someone to do some voice acting for my song if anyones interested pls lol.

Thank you for the comments guys keep em comin xD.

• 1 month later...

I love this remix so bloody much.

I have no complaints whatsoever.

I would love to do the vocals for you, but I'm a chica - which might ruin the vibe you're looking for, am I right?

If I'm incorrect, PM me. I've got a mic and Crystal's laying around here somewhere. :roll:

I know you want the dialog, but I really don't like dialog within music as I feel it draws away from the song. I think that music should speak for itself(singing is fine, I don't like dry talking/raw dialog), I could autotune it T-pain style to match the techno feel of your song) you could really do a cool effect like that if you wanted, I bet it would be cool. I also really like the remix as it is. 5 out of 5, hypnotizing beat, amazing sound, good musical flow, I bet you can submit this now and get it published.

I can autotune it, but I can't voice it, I am not even sure how I manage to listen to music, let alone edit stuff, my laptop's integrated sigmatel chip is really bad, sometimes it crackles audio, even low-quality MP3's(it encodes sound fine though, my Speakers aren't blown, headphones crackle too). It only seems to do this when my PC is on for awhile. I can record on another PC but the best mic I can use is lost and was junk, although I will soon get a XLR to USB adapter(and a good one, not a cheap one) and record on a different PC than my laptop.

I love this remix so bloody much.

I have no complaints whatsoever.

I would love to do the vocals for you, but I'm a chica - which might ruin the vibe you're looking for, am I right?

If I'm incorrect, PM me. I've got a mic and Crystal's laying around here somewhere. :roll:

Got some more replies, sweet lol. Unfortunately I need a guy for this part and I already have someone to fill the part I'm just waitin for the audio that I was wantin lol. Thanks for your support though, I appreciate the comments =)

@Yoshifan - Lol thanks man. And about the dialogue thing, it's not gonna draw away from the song It's gonna be part of the bridge so it should only help the song, plus it'll make it more interesting as people probably wouldn't expect it.

Anyways keep the comments comin guys I want everyones feedback and opinion.

Omg wow, this melody really takes me back. I was reading your description on the first page and I was thinking 'What radio station, I don't remember anything like that' and then I listen to the mix and Bam! I remember this melody and station now! I enjoyed it then and I'm really enjoying your remix of it now! (For whatever reason, I haven't heard this melody in the new HG/SS yet! Hopefully it's still in the game somewhere!)

Anyway, I agree with some of the others, dialogue might take away from the melody. I think it's perfect as is! Keep up the great work and thanks for the nostalgia blast!

Omg wow, this melody really takes me back. I was reading your description on the first page and I was thinking 'What radio station, I don't remember anything like that' and then I listen to the mix and Bam! I remember this melody and station now! I enjoyed it then and I'm really enjoying your remix of it now! (For whatever reason, I haven't heard this melody in the new HG/SS yet! Hopefully it's still in the game somewhere!)

Anyway, I agree with some of the others, dialogue might take away from the melody. I think it's perfect as is! Keep up the great work and thanks for the nostalgia blast!

They took the Lucky Number Show out of HG/SS, and now the theme is used in the Game Corner(s). T_T

• 4 weeks later...

Cool, someone else using the Mod Review tag! Thanks for keeping me employed :tomatoface:

First thing I noticed about the mix is the drums, which seem pushed too far back for the most part. Only a few parts of your kit are really audible and the interesting part of the drum loop is thrown so far into the background for the first half of the song, which leaves the whole beat sounding pretty bland and boring. The writing is a little repetitive too, which doesn't make the aforementioned issue any easier to swallow.

That sorta leads into my next point - the arrangement itself has some cool ideas, but is largely repetitive and built off the same few loops. There's not much to the source tune aside from a solid groove, which you replicated well, but I definitely think this could have used some more original writing on top of it. As it stands, it's probably too conservative to pass the judges panel :\

On the plus side, there's a lot of moments in the song where you do some really cool synth effects/embellishments, your bassline is fun, and you did some subtle but well-appreciated countermelodies. Production generally sounds nice (though there's some instances where notes bleed together too much.) All of those aspects were handled nicely, but the conservativeness of the track and the fact that it's just a short groove without anything taking center stage on the melodic front, as well as the weak/repetitive drums will probably keep this from passing the panel if you choose to submit in your current form.

I'd strongly advise fixing up your beats and changing up the structure from time to time to facilitate variety and allow for a more melodic focus here if you're still interested in submitting. If you're not aiming to go for the panel, you've still got a short but sweet track with some very enjoyable aspects to it :-)

emu pretty much nailed it but i'll leave a few thoughts

the biggest issue is repetition. 1:30-2:00 is pretty direct and where the song starts to get boring for me. i think this would be a great place for you to change things up with some more original writing. try breaking away from the original structure a little more or vary up the instrumentation and percussion.

drums were, as mentioned, a bit weak-muffled sounding and repetitive. i think the verse sections need a more melodic lead (outside of that underlying synth rhythm) to take the stage, although the sections at 1:00 and 2:21 were pretty good, with some nice touches (and cool effects :P) on the melody.

what you've got here has good potential but needs some TLC, particularly on the arrangement front.

Uh wow lol O_O. That was hella fast, this was seriously an overnight thing for me. I posted this before I went to bed and woke up to actually see responses. I recommend everyone use the tags to help out the mods it's a really good idea anyways. I don't know if you guys are always this fast but I really do appreciate and this concept definitely works as long as you guys keep it up =).

Anyways about the track. Thank you so much for the fast and effective feedback. I can work on this when I get off work today =). I'm confused about what you guys said about the drums, could you guys elaborate please? Do you mean theres a tad too much verb on some of the stuff, or do the drums need more layering? If you couldn't tell already I'm still a nub, there are still some things I need to know/learn about terminology regarding musical feedback lol xD.

haha, glad to help! we've kinda been sitting around waiting for some mixes to hit mod review status so when one does i guess we get a little excited :P

some more layers in the drums as would help as they're a bit sparse, and some of the quieter sounds need to be brought forward. the kick and snare are alright, but the rest just needs a little more clarity and presence.