OCR01965 - Tales of Phantasia "as time goes on (you are love to me)"

djpretzel

Mmm, the new mixing sounds a lot better! When I first heard this on the album I had a big issue with this track because of how obscured the vocals were, but apparently it just took a bit of tweaking to get it right :-) I'm not a huge fan of such blatant vocal effects, but in this particular case I think they work well with the mood.

The live instruments mesh well with the rest of the soundscape, and the performances are top-notch, as I've come to expect. Definitely one of the more memorable SoS mixes! :-D Glad to see it finally posted!

No offense to Prophet, but this isn't my favorite mix of his. One thing that bothered me were that the way the vocals were written. I felt like there was too much sliding through the source to fit a line in, so that the line overall just doesn't sit right. It sounds too much like it's a line written over the source vs. a line that was meant to be the source, if that makes sense. An example of this is 1:55 with "Why hast thou forsaken me" 'Hast' takes up two syllables, as well as 'for' somewhat awkwardly. I would have preferred either a change of the lyrics or a chance in the line (which I know isn't what Proph was going for).

I'm also not crazy about the effect used for most of the mix that makes the vocals very distant and fuzzy sounding. I get what he was going for in this, but the first half especially is difficult to make out because of this, and there is such a drastic difference at 1:55 that it bothers me.

Lastly, while the balance between sax and vocals is improved from the album version, I feel like there is still a ways to go to avoid the clashing between the two that makes the sax very difficult to hear and the lyrics difficult to make out. Too much treading on toes, in my opinion.

What I like about the mix is the overall vibe that Prophet went for in this, and the idea of the lyrics. They suit the mood of the original source very well. I can also hear a good improvement between this and his work on the Thieves of Fate album, and I know he will continue to improve.

You know, somehow I missed this from the original project - I want to relisten to it again to catch a few other tracks that I seem to remember liking somewhat.

Brad has a surprisingly good voice, and melds it well with his sax playing.

One thing that bothers me somewhat is the background synth that plays for most of it - I think the track would have a more sexy groove to it without it although I guess that would be a different interpretation.

Otherwise, this is pretty nice.

• 11 months later...

I enjoyed the sax at the beginning of the track, but for me this track gets a little busy when the vocals kick in. When the section with the organ and vocals starts around 1:55, things clear up and an excellent, almost mystical tone is set for the rest of the mix. Great work on the vocals as well. Good mix!

Big fan of this track. It was one of my absolute favorites from the Tales album, and this modified version does not disappoint either. While some may pick on the occasional awkward lyrical pace, I admire this mix for the obvious infusion of emotion. Whether you like this mix or not, the listener can tell that Prophet sings these words and swings his saxes with a personal passion. Also a fan of the wide echo/reverb used here, creating a very ethereal atmosphere.

• 1 year later...

I recall this fondly from Summoning of Spirits :D It may not have had the most precise production, but there was something about the arrangement back then that had its charm.

Right from the bat, I sense that Brad's vocals ended up making a much more significant presence than in the original, and the call-and-response between that and the saxophone feels similarly more relaxed with the saxophone not sticking out as much this time. I've also sensed that the organ parts, particularly in the mellower second verse, feeling somewhat gentler than they were as well. These elements coupled with the more subtle drum processing work have managed to help give it a more relaxed charm than the album version, which to me can be seen as a good thing. The upgrade was worth it!

The straight-forward arrangement of the original still remains but given the structure of the song it's definitely not a bad deal at all. What DOES remain though was a slightly weak fade-out, which can pretty much be sensed when the volume is turned up really high; to hear the saxophone and beat just fizzle along slightly abruptly and finish without a climax is in my opinion a weak way to approach the ending, but thankfully isn't much of a problem now that the rest of the production concerns were addressed.

Nice going again with the upgrade Brad! And please don't vanish from OCRemix any time soon either, between this and your various other contributions you're seen as a potent figure within the community :)

• 4 months later...

Whoa, first off, that sax.....so sexy. I love the lyrics and vocals to this ReMix, and while I do enjoy the echo in it, it sounded like there was just a hair too much echo on every part except for the when the sax cut and other parts cut off and we got to the more organy parts. I think it was just a little too busy, that's all, no big deal. Honestly, besides that little nitpick, this is a very cool mix. I even liked the fading ending.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01965 - Tales of Phantasia "as time goes on (you are love to me)"