*NO* Super Castlevania 4 'Stop the Castle (I Wanna Get Off Mix)'

djpretzel

Pretty cool song. Good arranging from what I can tell. Dont know the originals too well.

Looking towards borderline Yes unless someone finds something wrong with it etc.

I like the mood it presents. Percussion is rather simple, but does the trick.

I'm kinda borderline.

YES

Will get back to this one. I'm quite uncertain.

Nice arrangement, decent production. Pretty cool at some parts. At others it's a little too sparse, which doesn't translate well for this genre. I also find it a bit muddy and very dry. I think this needs a bit more reverb and also more EQ work in the mid to high frequencies to clarify the mix. Better effects processing and mixing, mastering could make this mix stand out much more.

I'm unsure of this, so I'll be coming back to this later.

Edit: Too sparse and the production is definitely an underachiever. I believe LU uses a triton - which should be capable of far more than this. Whatever it is, borderline NO from me. A little more work and this could be much better.

Firstly, the organ is very disjointed and oddly arranged, rhythmically.

There are interesting percussive ideas here, but mostly the drums seem like an afterthought. The same synth textures trigger over and over, and get very tiring. It's got a very raw synthetic nature, but without any intensity to push it forward. Arrangement is fine by my standards, but nothing is really done to stand out. Simple A/B'ing with occasional brief breaks.

Jumps around like a mofo. Let's hear some smoother transitions and different instrumentation once in a while. Props on your improv in a harmonic minor. Overall melodic content is straightforward and effective. I'd like to hear a more concentrated presentation in the overall work to bring out that particular strength.

Until then, NO.

-D

The main synths in the beginning are quite grating to the ear. Cochlea-damage notwithstanding, there is some very competant arrangeing [sic] going on here. It's just that some things clash, conflict, and befuddle other aspects of the song in a way that I'm sure is wholly unintentional (on the grounds that it sounds weird-wrong, rather than weird-intruiging). However, I'm not saying no on the grounds that it's not pleasant to listen to. There are a menagerie of things (instrument apporpriateness, cleanliness, and flow to name a few) that aren't up to snuff. That, coupled with that inexplicable X-factor make me have to vote

NO

I don't know what Wingless is talking about. This didn't hurt my ears at all.

I really enjoy the ideas presented here. The arrangement is very cool, and it almost makes Castlevania 4's music sound like something out of Super Metroid. All of the sounds used seem to work together quite cohesively, and I can't hear any quality issues. The bottom line for this one is that, while it may not be the most AMAZING thing ever, it definitely adds new interest to an old song, and, in my opinion, transforms the original. The arrangement is really kicking my ass, and between that and the over all sound quality, I'd say this is easily up to par.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds something like Wingless might do...it's just not there yet.

The rhythmic oddities seem intentional to me...arrangement-wise i have nothing against what's here, but i have a couple points against it

-The samples really detract. The busy chaos approach to remixing has to be very delicately balanced in order to work. this is not. the sounds are unpleasant, and they make the mix sound like a mistake, rather than an avant-garde exploration

-There is no flow. The ideas jump around and there is no interlude, no repose, no connection. I think that adding a bass would be a great start-adding some strings might help as well.

Not cooked all the way through.

NO