djpretzel

Submission!

Remix Name: Vermilion

Remix of: Decisive Battle

Game: Final Fantasy 6

From Remixer: Adam Dachis

(You can credit me as that if I get in)

E-mail: amd@quon.net

I hope I didn't forget anything. I'm not that great with the piano yet, but I think this is all right. I hope you guys approve.

Thanks,

Adam

I hope I didn't forget anything. I'm not that great with the piano yet

You got that right. Lots of excessive release. No pedal control.

Drums are nice. Good job there.

Is there any bass? If so, I can't hear it.

I like the new chords.

So the problems; song lacks bass, piano is way floody and the reverb scheme doesn't fit the drums's reverb scheme. Learn about piano pedal.

Work out these problems and it would be a yes from me.

NO

Proof that Ari is a drum N00b.

These drums are so sickeningly over the top and randomized that I can hardly discern a defined beat pattern. If I saw a drummer play this, I'd kick his ass. Honestly.

The EQ on them is so articulate that i'm hearing vastly more attack than resonance out of the drums. Very, very, bad. And trust me, it's ok to not fill every single 16th and 32nd note with a drum strike. This is an uptempo jazzy drum pattern in a song that absolutely does not need it. Your piano arrangement insinuates a solid backbeat pattern, and the groove too often throws the backbeat on an and or even a 16th off, and it very much throws off the continuity of the piece. Simplicity in percussion is often more effective than haphazard "everythinghitting". The tempo even seems to fluctuate in and out of sync.

There are major off-key problems beginning at 2:04.

The whole thing is indicative of a sloppy mixing job and rushed production. Attention to staying in the key, or modulating it correctly, is vital to this song's presentation. As of now, this sounds like a very early WIP. I'd rethink the drums as much as possible. They aren't getting past me.

NO

-D

While I myself am a consumate drumnoob (I constantly tell REASON to do the damn thing for me, I ain't got time to screw around with the white man's drums!) this does speak to me of somebody messing around with the drum machine, stumbling upon something that fit the melody, however awkwardly, and saying, "Eureka! Expectum Patronum" or somesuch. Beyond that, the reverb and release on that piano is so inappropriately CAVERNOUS that I feel like I'm at a live recording inside Ailsean's fatass (I love you, Silent Bob!)

Here's what you do:

You need more sensitivity with the subject matter. You need to understand it better, get inside it, know it's everything. Then you need to reapproach this piece with the mindset that you are going to capture some important facet of that new understanding. Then you are going to write it in such a way that, on a technical level (that is to say, levels of reverb, drum mechanics, etc.), it proves how much you understand about said material.

NO

Proof that Ari is a drum N00b.

ROFL!!1

Didn't say the drums fit the song style. They obviously didn't. Scheme is all wrong, nevertheless I like the drumwork and in another context it would have been great.

so STFU.

Yea, I wasn't at all paying attention at 2:06. sounds like the guy didn't know what chord to use and kinda just hit something.