OCR01968 - Final Fantasy IV "The Skies Hold No Angels for Us"

djpretzel

The arrangement is very well done and creative, but this is another boxy amp-sim sound. The song would have benefited greatly from having guitars recorded the proper way. Also recording the rhythm part properly. Instead of a single rhythm in the center channel, you could have doubled it and had it in stereo. It's strange listening to a rock song with one guitar track in the center; it has a weird mono effect. The leads are panned hard left and right and do mask this flaw a little bit.

It's a good arrangement, but has guitar production issues.

Like Luiza, I'm not at all familiar with the source as I haven't played the game (but I got the DS version as a Christmas present, so consider this a preview), but also likewise, I must say that this kicks some serious ass!

Any gripes I could have aside, great job on the mix and making it rock like there's no tomorrow! A special congratulations as well to Level99... Stevo, you're finally an official OC ReMixer! YAY!

I'm sorry for how blunt my critique was. There's a big difference between writing for a zine and writing here, where the artists actually read what you have to say.

As for guitars being recorded the "proper way", I am really just not a big fan of the amp sim and the sound you get out of them. I prefer the half-stack or full stack with microphones recording guitars, but I realize that isn't financially feasible for most people. At any rate, you can disregard what I said about the amp-sim tone, but I still think the song would have benefited from multiple rhythm tracks.

Looking past the tones and number of tracks though, the arrangement is very well done and the song is a good adaptation and very enjoyable.

Sorry and thanks for understanding. ^_^

One of the most emotional pieces on the album, this has some great transitions and separate sections that show a lot of different colors of a similar progression. The original source to me was decent but not outstanding, but this style of arrangement, especially the effect-laden acoustic outro really makes it feel.

Good stuff, homies.

I liked this song, but there are a few areas of repetition I felt could be cut out. The kids playing around in the background of the song about 2/3rds through is an interesting touch, as the song title suggests a desolate environment, yet there is an element of hope embedded there.

The end in particular also adds some flavor to the piece since the style seems to bring to mind a sort of resignation/acceptance. Of course all of this is made possible by the aggressiveness of the earlier portion of the song, but I think it could've used some heavier rhythm guitars, or at least more in front, to underscore the desolate mood.

All in all, pretty good, but would've loved to see a few things tweaked to tighten it up.

I think one of the more interesting things I noticed about this song is that two solos / leads were played simultaneously, panned left and right, while the rhythm kept going in the center. It gave it some stand-out character and I really like that uniqueness in production. Keep it up guys!

Love the call and responses going on with the original solos. I know that Larry called you guys borderline with usage of the source material, but I think it's the solos and the original rocking touches that give songs like these real character.

The breakdown at 3:20 is very emotionally jarring.

(Also I was thinking that this mix sounds a little lacking in highs, but I'm wondering now if it's these stupid headphones now that are muddying things up).

The acoustic part at ~4:40 at the end is honestly my favourite part of the mix. I know it's the closing and all, but it's all so fitting there.

Nice nice stuff. Level99, this is going to be only the first of many numbers that'll appear next to your name on this site :)

• 2 weeks later...

I want to thank everyone for all the comments about the mix. They're all absolutely appreciated. What I intended with the song was to tell a story without words, and judging from some of the responses, I was at least moderately successful :nicework:

I won't speak too much but I couldn't have done any of this without Jay, as he definitely took all the ideas I wanted to implement and ran with them while adding a ton all his own.

Keep on rocking, folks. /obligatory shoutout to OA for awesome FF4 project/

I want to thank everyone for all the comments about the mix. They're all absolutely appreciated. What I intended with the song was to tell a story without words, and judging from some of the responses, I was at least moderately successful :nicework:

I won't speak too much but I couldn't have done any of this without Jay, as he definitely took all the ideas I wanted to implement and ran with them while adding a ton all his own.

Keep on rocking, folks. /obligatory shoutout to OA for awesome FF4 project/

i love you too buddy - lets rock out again soon :D

• 5 months later...

This is simply amazing! The echoing children was a very cool touch that I imagine several people may have found slightly haunting. The guitars were so full of win in this ReMix. Easy example of the mix surpassing the original, in my opinion.

• 10 months later...

I've been listening to "Echoes" quite a bit lately (seeing as somehow I only recently learned about it) and every single time, something else jumps out at me.

Most recently, its this song.

Driving around in the car, it gets to the piano section towards the end, I'm thinking "Ok, its getting quieter, kind of sad, must be Edward.." Then, the sound of children playing fades in and instantly its DARK. Like, Sarah Connor's nightmare at the playground. Then the (laser?) bombs drop and it rips back into metal, and I get the chills. Like, literally my arms goose bumped.

Good work, guys

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01968 - Final Fantasy IV "The Skies Hold No Angels for Us"