How to spend Wii points post-holiday

BardicKnowledge

I got an incredible 4000 Wii Points this holiday season, and need help spending the back half of them.

I got Majora's Mask and LostWinds 2 with the first $20. I don't need NES/SNES/Genesis games because I run homebrew and emulate the older systems.

Castlevania Rebirth looks pretty good, as does Mega Man 10 (though that will be a wait). What other good WiiWare titles are out there? Thanks in advance, everyone.

If you like RPGs, Final Fantasy IV: The After Years is fun. The price is really deceptive, though. It's listed for something like $8, but it costs another $30 or so to actually buy all of the content for the game.

Other good games include Mega Man 9 (I'm sure 10 will be great as well), Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (lots of fun, playing it right now), and apparently World of Goo is pretty enjoyable. Also, if you don't mind episodic games, the Homestar Runner games are really funny. Phoenix Wright's series is releasing in a few months as well, though if you have a DS, you'd probably be better off getting that version.

On the Virtual Console side, Sin & Punishment (N64, sequel possibly releasing this year) is really good. If you like Zelda games, you may want to invest in Startropics or its sequel, Zoda's Revenge, both of which are really good Zelda-style adventures. Naturally, the Mega Man and Castlevania games are also good, as are the Mario and Zelda games out there.

Make sure you save some points for later investments. There's a really good Mega Man style game coming out sometime this year (Blast something or other, I forget), and some other cool WiiWare titles releasing later.

My brother bought me FFIV: After for the Wii and he said he actually paid like $47 for all of it.

With that in mind, I'm literally THE biggest FFIV fan in the entire world (in ways that would really frighten you) and I can safely say this IS the sequel I've been waiting for for 15 years. I've been glued to it whenever I could play it.

I doubt you'll be as in love with it as I have, but I can wholeheartedly say it was worth the money.

Super Metroid.

Also any Mega Man games you haven't played.

I asked for almost specifically not this Luke :(. Also before I got homebrew I bought Super Metroid and about 10 other big classics. Still, SM is an awesome game that I didn't mention I had -- definitely a good choice for anyone else reading this with the same question as me.

If you like RPGs, Final Fantasy IV: The After Years is fun. The price is really deceptive, though. It's listed for something like $8, but it costs another $30 or so to actually buy all of the content for the game.

Other good games include Mega Man 9 (I'm sure 10 will be great as well), Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (lots of fun, playing it right now), and apparently World of Goo is pretty enjoyable. Also, if you don't mind episodic games, the Homestar Runner games are really funny. Phoenix Wright's series is releasing in a few months as well, though if you have a DS, you'd probably be better off getting that version.

On the Virtual Console side, Sin & Punishment (N64, sequel possibly releasing this year) is really good. If you like Zelda games, you may want to invest in Startropics or its sequel, Zoda's Revenge, both of which are really good Zelda-style adventures. Naturally, the Mega Man and Castlevania games are also good, as are the Mario and Zelda games out there.

Make sure you save some points for later investments. There's a really good Mega Man style game coming out sometime this year (Blast something or other, I forget), and some other cool WiiWare titles releasing later.

I've heard good things about Castlevania. Your views seem to match almost exactly match mine -- love the Startropics choice (also on the short list of what I've paid for). Probably not getting FF4.5 because of the high price, thanks for the reminder about that as well. I'd happily get Phoenix Wright if I didn't already have them for DS.

Putting in my vote for Orbient again.

Don't remember hearing about this one, I'll look it up. Thanks!

- SIN AND PUNISHMENT, Virtual Console Game of the Year, All Years.

- Contra, Castlevania, and Gradius Rebirth, Excitebike, Crystal Chronicles MLaK and MLaDL, Tales of Monkey Island for WiiWare.

I'm going to be the Devil's Advocate here and say that Sin and Punishment is NOT worth your money.

The gameplay is indeed fun while it lasts, but the game is criminally short, and if you run out of continues (that are used every time you load a save file), you have to start the game over, which in the later levels, really pisses you off.

On top of that, the ending sucks, pisses you off, and resolves absolutely NOTHING. I'd go for maybe Sin and Punishment 2 as a more rewarding experience, but I haven't played it (nor do I know if it has even been released, haven't checked).

But ultimately, it was not worth my time and money.

I heard from a few sources that the whole "keep on buying shit to complete FFIV: the After Years" has a way of pissing you off.

Games you want, then?

World of Goo. Probably one of THE best WiiWare games, and it's a perfect fit FOR the Wii, as well. It's a whole lot of fun, and has a whole lot of charm. It's 1500 points, so I'll let someone else fill in the rest.

World of Goo. Probably one of THE best WiiWare games, and it's a perfect fit FOR the Wii, as well. It's a whole lot of fun, and has a whole lot of charm. It's 1500 points, so I'll let someone else fill in the rest.
Question for BardicKnowledge: Did you take advantage of the demo period for WiiWare games? They had World of Goo and 4 other games up for trial. I don't know when they were taking the games down, but it may be worth it to check and see if the demo for this is there.

That and Pokemon Rumble, which is surprisingly fun in its simplicity. Real-time, simplified Pokemon battles makes for an entertaining time. I bought the full version and it's good to have on here.

Either of those games would be a worthwhile investment, depending on if you liked the Pokemon series or if you liked Lemmings (which bears strong resemblance gameplay-wise to World of Goo - not a bad thing).

---

I still have 500 unspent points, and I am debating getting SMB (a nice standby and a game I don't have a functioning copy of at the moment) or holding out for something else.

PS: Skip Virtual Console games. Just look up homebrew.

Already taken care of here, and I highly advise anyone with a Wii to do it also. Currently have nes/snes/genesis/tg-16/gba all running just fine (though the GBA emulation could stand to be slightly faster, I'm not complaining about something that's free).

Also, Yahtzwii homebrew is fun as hell. Super Mario War is damn near the best thing ever....except that it randomly crashes on my console. Any other Wii homebrew users have a problem with it?

I'm going to be the Devil's Advocate here and say that Sin and Punishment is NOT worth your money.

The gameplay is indeed fun while it lasts, but the game is criminally short, and if you run out of continues (that are used every time you load a save file), you have to start the game over, which in the later levels, really pisses you off.

On top of that, the ending sucks, pisses you off, and resolves absolutely NOTHING. I'd go for maybe Sin and Punishment 2 as a more rewarding experience, but I haven't played it (nor do I know if it has even been released, haven't checked).

But ultimately, it was not worth my time and money.

You played Sin and Punishment for the story?! No bloody wonder. What criminally short gameplay? Did you play on Easy Mode or something? This is a TREASURE game. You don't "beat" it until you can make it through Hard Mode. And unless you're a gamer guru, there's no way that won't be worth your money.

Did you play on Easy Mode or something? This is a TREASURE game. You don't "beat" it until you can make it through Hard Mode.

Man I still remember the day I finally got access to Phantasm mode on PCB and tried to beat it...

So yeah you can't really say you've beaten S&P without finishing it on hard mode.

NO WUSSING OUT BY DOING EASY MODE! :-x

I still can't 1cc PCB on normal

I'm so damn bad at bullet curtain hells

I say give "Subterranean Animism" a try, as you may find it easier due to a gimmick behind the shots; in this case it's a lot of streaming and lines rather than bullets homing in on you. This is very evident in stage 4 and when you fight Satori.

beware the cat though, bitch will fuck you up even if you do figure out her shots...

Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People. All of them.

PS: Skip Virtual Console games. Just look up homebrew.

Slightly off topic, but in order to access the WiiShop Channel, you have to do a system update... the problem is I've heard reports that the new update can brick your system... especially if you have homebrew on it.

Does anyone know if this is true, or know of a way to access the WiiShop Channel otherwise? I've got some unspent Wii Points I'm wanting to use, but I don't want to risk the whole system.

Slightly off topic, but in order to access the WiiShop Channel, you have to do a system update... the problem is I've heard reports that the new update can brick your system... especially if you have homebrew on it.

Does anyone know if this is true, or know of a way to access the WiiShop Channel otherwise? I've got some unspent Wii Points I'm wanting to use, but I don't want to risk the whole system.

Sinewav, I'm running homebrew and the latest patch (just spent 2000 of 4000 points a couple days ago) -- while the patch uninstalled my BootMii stuff (boot2 install), everything else is working fine...and I've read that you can just reinstall BootMii at your convenience anyway.

It's all been fixed. Just make sure you do all system updates before installing anything.