Xbox Live Game Room

Brandon Strader

I just hope they don't try to charge 400points ($5) per game... Discuss. :)

Don't look now

It is free to download “Game Room,” which you can then populate with classic arcade games available for individual purchase. Buy games once and play on both an Xbox 360 system and a Windows-based PC for 400 Microsoft Points. Or, to purchase a game for only one platform, each individual Xbox 360 or Windows-based PC title is 240 Microsoft Points. You also have the option to pay to play a single game, just like dropping two quarters in the slot in the old arcades, for 40 Microsoft Points. Visit your friends’ “game rooms” and try their games free before you buy.

I think $5 for a game like Centipede is grossly overpriced, but since I would only use the XBLA version, it'd be 240 points for me. What's that, $2? Still seems like a pretty hefty price to pay for Centipede. It's not like you get a lot out of that game. :P

Why couldn't they just have it be free? The emulator and a thousand NES roms is small enough to fit on a 64mb memory card. :P

• 2 months later...

It's shit. I downloaded it because it said it was free, but then I found out I couldn't actually play the games. It did give me 20 virtual "tokens" to try games out, but this strikes me as more of a demo model than a free download. XBLA is being very misleading here.

As Brandon pointed out, Every one of the games they have could probably fit onto a 64MB mem card under a free emulator. $5 for Centipede is too high for the benefit of seeing a random avatar standing in front of the arcade machine.