Survey!

Basementwall

Hi!

I've put together an anonymous, open-ended, 5-question survey (for remixers and listeners) about the process of remixing, what happens when a remixer remixes another fan's remix, and issues of ownership and intellectual property. If you want, you'll have the opportunity to give contact info so I can ask you more about these topics, but that's up to you. If you've got 5 minutes, fill it out! I'll drop by later to let you know how many people have filled it out.

The survey is here.

If you're wondering why I'm surveying, I've got an FAQ on my survey site.

Enjoy!

Based off what I've read on your FAQ, you ought to read up on the forums; both on the General Discussion and Off-Topic sections to get a decent picture of the "fans". Reading up on the other sections wouldn't hurt your research either... :wink:

also click on my sigs for some giggles as there are some certain areas that fandom on a particular subject can become so incredibly massive that it's beyond what most could comprehend of possibly existing, along with the content that comes from said fandom

Based off what I've read on your FAQ, you ought to read up on the forums; both on the General Discussion and Off-Topic sections to get a decent picture of the "fans". Reading up on the other sections wouldn't hurt your research either... :wink:

Totally--reading is crucial. I've been reading lots in the last couple weeks, and I've lurked on and off since 03 or 04. But I think lurking leads things more toward an us/them mentality than actually talking to people here--so I'm doing both!

And yeah, the terminology gets weird, doesn't it? I keep using "fans" because I need a catch-all term for the 4 groups I'm surveying/interviewing (here, Lost Video Island, Zelda Classic, and fan fiction writers at Remix Redux on LJ). That's why some of the questions make more sense in some settings more than others, too. Like, the whole point of the fic remix redux is to rework other fic, but I've only heard remixes on here that do that once or twice.

Totally--reading is crucial. I've been reading lots in the last couple weeks, and I've lurked on and off since 03 or 04. But I think lurking leads things more toward an us/them mentality than actually talking to people here--so I'm doing both!

And yeah, the terminology gets weird, doesn't it? I keep using "fans" because I need a catch-all term for the 4 groups I'm surveying/interviewing (here, Lost Video Island, Zelda Classic, and fan fiction writers at Remix Redux on LJ). That's why some of the questions make more sense in some settings more than others, too. Like, the whole point of the fic remix redux is to rework other fic, but I've only heard remixes on here that do that once or twice.

Sometimes it's best not to remix a remix as it may come out worse than intended; not to say it's impossible but that could be one major reason.

I like to think at one point most 'fans' here have listened to music like this and probably thought nothing more of it than it being stuffy, boring, uninspiring sounds of plucking strings in a wooden box. Years later we may hear the same thing but in a totally different sound format and think "HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME!" and then scramble to different sources only to receive weak responses. Years later again some of us 'fans' will find ourselves doing

This is how the 'fandom' occurred for some people here; at least for me it had been. Though I actually enjoyed the classics as a kid and simply hunted for rare stuff back then but that's another topic.

I'm probably just touching the proverbial tip of the iceburg that is the 'fandom' here as far as I know.

edit* Oh yeah

the

, a
, finally a remix of a remix :lol:

I like to think at one point most 'fans' here have listened to music like this and probably thought nothing more of it than it being stuffy, boring, uninspiring sounds of plucking strings in a wooden box. Years later we may hear the same thing but in a totally different sound format and think "HOLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME!" and then scramble to different sources only to receive weak responses. Years later again some of us 'fans' will find ourselves doing

This is how the 'fandom' occurred for some people here; at least for me it had been. Though I actually enjoyed the classics as a kid and simply hunted for rare stuff back then but that's another topic.

Yeah, I've gone through some of the same stages. I actually have come to love Classical music (especially after being a music minor in college, where it's about all you study), but when it really comes down to it, I spend more time listening to contemporary people doing crazy things with classical-type instruments or VG music that makes me jump up and say, "Wait, what is this? It's the most amazing thing in the world!"

Maybe I like this site because I envy everyone with the equipment and tech know-how to create the remixes I would love to make. Like, I've jotted down musical ideas for arranging FF stuff for accordion and guitar, and I wrote a Zelda-themed string quartet a few years back--but where to get an accordion player or string quartet? Where to get the cash for a keyboard that's fancy enough to create lifelike copies? I know there's answers to that stuff in the boards, and people willing to play, of course, but I've never gotten around to reaching out...

My earliest VG "remix" memory: playing Mega Man 3 in 4th or 5th grade and insisting to my friends that the Shadow Man stage seemed to have lyrics that were hiding in the background of the song. They thought I was crazy.