OCR01996 - *YES* Dark Cloud 2 'Before Everything Happened'

Palpable

Artist name: Flexstyle

Email address(es): theoriginalmike@gmail.com, djflexstyle@hotmail.com

Userid: 22246

Game remixed: Dark Cloud 2

Song remixed: Intro

Link to original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_QNJT24Dnw

This came about after a request in the forum. Some newbie (who, I don't believe, ever posted again) requested that the intro song from Dark Cloud 2 be remixed. I took a listen, and loved the original. I decided I must do a remix of it, and this is what came out. If it sounds similar to any of deadmau5's work, this is entirely intentional! I was trying to throw a nod to Faxing Berlin here, with the intro piano and the stacked chords. However, I tried to take it and make it my own, too.

I've never played Dark Cloud 2 (or any related game, for that matter), but I thoroughly enjoyed the intro music and I hope this remix does it justice!

Thanks for your time!

-Michael (Flexstyle)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dark Cloud 2 Intro

Didn't know the source, but after listening, I think you've done an excellent job with it.

This is incredibly tastefully done considering the usual 4 on the floor stuff we hear. Great composition (except the sour note at 2:28). great variety, progression, direction. The piano is really tasteful. The vibe reminds me of that Orbital song (halcyon etc. etc.) that was at the end of every movie that came out in 1995.

Impressively done. A dance tune with a groove that never freaking changes, yet I never get bored or want to pull my teeth out from the drums I think the secret to this is that the hi-hat is really subdued, and the mix isn't too bright or brittle.

anyway,

YES

I had a vote written out but then I closed my browser. Let's see if I can remember everything.

There's a really solid groove here and the production is really clean. Your instruments are balanced nicely and nothing sticks out. I really like how you took embellishing and melodic elements from the original and developed a solid groove out of them. This is a really fun track.

YES

This keeps the melodic and harmonic elements intact, but adds in a pretty classy and sophisticated progressive house sound. Production is solid and restrained, and the arrangement has a lot of cool touches that go beyond just a genre conversion.

I really liked the piano sections, even the solo near the end that was just piano + beats. The few qualms I have with the mix are that the beat does get a bit repetitive, and the ending is really abrupt. Good thing these are overpowered by all the really cool ideas, and that bass synth is so great.

This mix takes a decent source tune and really makes it something special.

yes

Very cool approach. The take on the actual melodies or harmonies might not be breaking new ground but the way they blend with the overall track is well done. The small variations and production tricks help vary the arrangement up and the piano is a nice contrast to the warm electronica.

I thought the leads were mixed too low and it downplayed the source usage a lot. The meat of the track is also a bit repetitive but I didn't think that was a big issue. The overall groove, production and arrangement outweighs the issues I had too. I'll give you the pass!

YES

• 1 month later...

Wanted to co-sign on this before it got posted. Also, points for the remix's intro and outro which referenced the ambient intro of the source. Not everyone will be able to make out that connection.

As for the meat of the arrangement, it was great stuff, and a great example of using using relatively sparse sounds, but producing it to have a very full sound. Nice groove, and nice dynamics. I enjoyed listening to it in the car, it's pretty good driving music. While this was relatively conservative, there was definitely meaningful interpretation beyond the genre adaptation. Props for taking this theme and skillfully adapting it to an electronic sound, Mike, this is a strong debut. Keep 'em coming!

YES