OCR02048 - *YES* Animal Crossing 'purdieoldays'

Palpable

name - posu yan

game - Animal Crossing

song - KK Ballad

source material

this is actually a remix of a remix. i did the original arrangement for joecam's Animal Crossing project, then decided to remix my own remix since it sounded good sped up. the title and content comes from this, one of the greatest videos and greatest drummers ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC20X0DKsqo

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love the approach taken here, very reminiscent of Pizzicato Five and Fantastic Plastic Machine who were faves of mine back in college. Same sense of random fun with a predilection for bossa and sampling. I guess the issue for me is whether it's cool to do one minute of an arrangement, one and a half minutes of seemingly original material (plus uh Sagat :nicework:), then another minute of arrangement. Put me down as a borderline YES - this would have been greatly improved with some Animal Crossing thrown in the middle somewhere. It sounded like at the beginning of the second section you were starting to do some version of the melody in a different mode and that would have been a nice twist if it followed through longer.

YES (borderline)

See something like this bothers me more than jazz mixes that use chords as a basis for their deviation. I feel like the entire middle section was completely original, without any elements of the original track.

I love the actual KK stuff in here though, but that middle section needs to link up to the original more.

NO

Beautiful source song, and one of my favorites. <3

This one really walks the border for me, as the arrangement is really cool and creative, and there is the distinct source sandwich, with a more liberal middle. Production is clean and balances through out, and so the only really sticking point is the arrangement aspect of the middle. A lot of the chord style remains through, and the talkie synth is sortof KK slider-esque, but other than that, it's a bit of a stretch. Stopwatch-wise, you are in the clear, and the source sections themselves are sufficiently arranged. I do wish there was more source in the middle section, but I am comfortable letting it pass as-is.

yes (borderline)

So this is cool, but as far as arrangement goes, it's not really what I think qualifies as an OCRemix. It's some groovin, followed by some original material, followed by some more groovin. It's cool, but it's really not a complete thought. I might pass it if it did more with the original, before/after the original section, but it's kind of a copy/paste job.

NO

Anybody else hear the Sagat theme cameo there in the middle?

This is pretty unique and fun stuff. I think pretty much all of the KK Slider stuff really isn't meant to be taken too seriously, likewise with this mix. It's a pretty fun take on a kind of goofy theme. I'm being a bit lazy here, I'll admit, but as long as OA is vouching that the stopwatch is satisfied, then I'll pass off on this.

Entertaining, quirky, lighthearted stuff. :)

SURE

Anybody else hear the Sagat theme cameo there in the middle?

Did you not see my :nicework:?

I'm being a bit lazy here, I'll admit, but as long as OA is vouching that the stopwatch is satisfied, then I'll pass off on this.

The stopwatch is satisifed (I'd post a funny gif here if I could find one), but I don't think it's lazy to YES it. To me, there's not a lot to think about - the matter is only whether the source/original/source thing is acceptable. Do we have any precedent of stuff like this getting passed? It'd make the YES easier in my mind.

To me, there's not a lot to think about - the matter is only whether the source/original/source thing is acceptable. Do we have any precedent of stuff like this getting passed? It'd make the YES easier in my mind.

I haven't heard the mix yet, but it's basically a judgement call. If you feel the structure prevents the track from feeling cohesive, then you'd go NO. But otherwise, the sandwich approach isn't problematic for me at all as long as the source tune is used enough and the composition is cohesive and well-developed.

I haven't heard the mix yet, but it's basically a judgement call. If you feel the structure prevents the track from feeling cohesive, then you'd go NO. But otherwise, the sandwich approach isn't problematic for me at all as long as the source tune is used enough and the composition is cohesive and well-developed.

Alright, then I'm a more solid YES. The middle section had the same style and offered some creative new variations. It flowed into it from the source well, the transition back wasn't that bad either, even for an intentionally jarring switch.

I'd feel better about the bookended source use thing if more were done to the source in the ending section. I mean, among other things, there's the key change and the organ grooving the hell out in the background, but it does feel like kind of an afterthought.

Pretty slick track, though. The original section is pretty well integrated, and the take on the source is creative and fun. I've tossed this one back and forth a few times, and I think it's well-executed enough for a pass.

YES

Silly amounts of slick, I want Posu's man-babies. Took a few listens and I ultimately think the source is upfront and featured enough. Stopwatch checks out and even though that middle section could use some more overt source usage, the good production, groovy take on the theme and execution weighs it up.

Very many nice works.

YES

• 3 months later...

Decision was long closed, so I'm coming in way after the fact, but I finally got around to listening to this myself. Nice sampling of the Bernard Purdie drum lesson, BTW, that was strong. I'v enjoyed his stuff ever since I heard Gwilym sample an interview of his for some original stuff he wrote back in the VGMix2 days.

Again, I had 0 problem with po!'s arrangement approach, i.e. the A-B-A-style source usage in just the beginning and ending sections.

As far as the "formula" of using the source tune enough, I'm just looking for over 50% usage so the source usage is dominant. The methods you use to get there generally don't matter to me as long as you get there. po! had it here, and everything flowed nicely.

YES