Multi Effects pedals/processors for guitar

I currently have a Digitech RP200, which I has been enough for everything I have done musically so far. I am going to be in the market for an upgrade though, and am starting to look at my options. The guys at the music store seem to think that the Line 6 M13 would be a great way to go, and I am inclined to agree. Basically I am looking for a great multi-effect pedal, as I like to have a good variety of presets to start tweaking from.

Do any of you have any experience in this area? Price is not a concern atm, just looking for personal opinions/experience with other products I might not have been aware of. Thanks all.

That M13 looks like it could bring a lot to your arsenal depending on what genre(s) you're aiming for. And Line 6 makes some awesome hardware. I hear this is a pretty good one: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-POD-XT-Live-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Pedal?sku=150394

I do have one reminder that's should obvious for any musician.

NEVER ORDER INSTRUMENTS AND/OR ACCESSORIES ONLINE WITHOUT TRYING THEM OUT FOR YOURSELF FIRST.

This is implied for anyone playing actual instruments like guitar, bass, flute, etc. (Not really talking about sound libraries.) If you see a product you like go find it somewhere at like Guitar Center or something and try it out. THEN if it's cheaper online, order it.

Reason I say this is because I bought a Metal Zone pedal online from Musiciansfriend.com and I regretted buying it for the sole reason that the word "metal" was in it's title. I didn't like the sound it put out. When I tried to return it, WEEKS LATER it got sent back to me with a letter saying something about it being passed the return date. I had it for 4 days before I sent it back. Deciding to just keep it and deal with it I managed to get a sound that did the job but no where NEAR the quality I was promised.

Just something I live by.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, both. I would assume they are the same, basically.

If you were wondering about modifying/switching tones mid song when playing live, that is not a current concern. So while the M13 has a lot of reviewers saying the tiered foot switches are the perfect distance and height apart for switching, that really doesn't influence my decision for it. Nor would the lack of expression pedal influence against.

the reason I'm asking is because I was wondering how many effects would you need to use simultaneously. for instance, if you need more than one modulation effect (chorus, phaser, tremolo, etc) for one sound, it'd probably be best to go for the M13. and it does indeed seem to be pretty functional for live switching too.

but, for recording, my favorite multi-fx unit would be the Boss ME-50. but for live settings, despite the sound quality, you can't turn the distortion off at the very same time you turn the modulation effect on, 'cause you'd go into tuner mode.

so back to the other issue, in the ME-50, the harmonist function, tremolo, phaser and stuff are all under the "MOD" section... it's not uncommon for me to use two or more of these effects simultaneously, so if you're like me, you're better off with something else.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I tried the M13, rented it for a week, and unfortunately due to some bad academic planning, I didn't get as much time as I wanted with it, only managed about 4 hours. I liked it, but not a ton actually. While some of the effects were cool, I didn't have a good amp sim to put it through for tone. I am sure if I had more time I would have had a more favorable view of it.

Anyway, I am 99% sure I am getting a Pod X3 Live simply because I found one in pristine condition for 350 (instead of 550~600) through a classified add. I have played with a friends XT Live and heard him play through it, I like what I am hearing, not to mention the many downloadable tones and settings that are out there.

I'll update once I actually pick it up and have tried it out a bit

I don't know how the live version is. but I own the desktop PODX3.

I used to have both the bass PODxt and the guitar one. I figured the X3 would be both plus vocals stuff.... so I sold them and a behringer compressor and bought the X3. big, big mistake. The sounds there aren't half as good as on the XTs and the double tone thing does not make up for it, the vocal preamp models are pretty useless.

so, don't do this to yourself. it's not worth it.

.......too late.....

Hmmm. Well I will have to see once I actually pick it up from my buddy who picked it up for me. It will be an upgrade from my RP250 for now. And I could sell it for more than I paid for it here without too much trouble if that turns out to be the case.

Thanks for the heads up LuIzA.

If you end up not liking it and are interested in a PodXT, I have one for sale. It's been very rarely used, in perfect condition, with the FX Junkie expansion added to it (though not the other amp packs or the bass pack). I'm selling for a good deal less than retail. PM me if you want to follow up on this.