Bayonetta

MaxFrost

Zuul motherfucka zuuuul!

Also, Bayonetta will be a purchase for me. When I have a system that can play it.

Yeah chances are I'm going to be seeing Zuul plenty of times if I play the game right. :lol:

Also I'm way too far away from being close to beating it, but nonetheless I like the option of "concocting" stuff even if it's a bit wonky. Took me five minutes to figure that shit out.

Also to those that are playing it, any one find some nice nods and references to a certain person inbetween the gameplay..? :lol:

Edit*

Not even a week out and it just happened already :lol:

sample-9a7c14dfcccacf7e6a32f3ca6c85.jpg

Jeanne: Legit Unlocked. She's not easy to play as. Can only activate WT when you dodge at the Bat Within timing. Much much smaller window. I like how they did sequential characters like they did back with Viewtiful Joe.

I think anyone who has the balls, so to speak, to ride a motorcycle up an ICBM as it's disintegrating into space (along with the quip "Ah, plenty of time" as if she means it as the ICBM is clearing the launch pad) can have as small a window to engage witch time as they like.

Edit: If that was in a movie it would make it a legitimate blockbuster. I mean come on! Who the hell could possibly have thought that up for an action movie? That's 10 kinds of awesome!

If anyone here has beaten it, please don't give spoilers without warning. The demo was so awesome that I don't want to lose any surprises.

It would probably be better for you to not lurk the thread until you have, since spoilers usually get discussed in these threads anyway.

She explained it like this. In most games where there is a hot token female, the context of the game makes it such that the female character either doesn't have a reason to dress like that, or actively doesn't like being looked at that way. To pick fighting game characters, she said it was the difference between Christie Monteiro and Asuka Kazama. She HATES Asuka Kazama as really offensive, despite the fact that Christie is infinitely less clothed. Why? Because she's a schoolgirl, and because she gives no indication whatsoever that she enjoys showing off her body like that. Bayonetta is an arse-kicking slutwitch and accepts that and apparently has a self-respect that almost no other female video game character as poorly dressed has.

This actually makes a whole lot of sense to me. I was speaking with a friend last night about this very same subject. She usually hates how females are portrayed in games. They are often times pure eye candy and give little to the story that they are in, except for them always needing a man to assist them out of things and are extremely hot while not wanting to be. My friend on the other hand, like The Girl, loves Bayonetta. She says that Bayonetta is empowering. Speaking to her makes me understand why The Girl likes Bayonetta as well.

Partially why I dislike a lot of anime is because of what I underlined in what I quoted. That is pure objectification and it just never sat right with me.

Bayonetta, on the other hand, is totally self aware and doesn't take any of the shit seriously. Sure she is hot, but isn't trying to be all like "don't look at me" or any other way anime characters act. She uses that shit as an advantage and kicks people's faces in with it.

At first when I saw how Bayonetta looked in this game, I thought I was going to hate her because it would be Japan objectifying per usual. I thought she was going to act all cutesy and do everything females in japanese made games usually do. I was so wrong, and I am so happy for it. Bayonetta is one of my favorite video game heroines.

*post written while mildly affected by prescription drug so apologies ahead of time if it is written poorly*

That's why some of us make fun of the casual players to players that always play on easy mode...

I'll start it with a slight dash of engrish.

easymodoreally.jpg

In all seriousness though, to a man who started his video game "career" so to speak on Ninja Gaiden and Mario on the NES, you're not having fun unless you're either twitching like a man in the slips cordon of a cricket game (Hint: you have about a .25 second window to catch a ball coming your way) or memorising patterns like a demented MENSA genius.

This is also sort of why I am the only person in my house who enjoys Ikaruga. The Girl likes thinking deeply like I do (Hence shared love for Civ and her love of FF) but can't really twitch as well. Oddly enough, my FPS play style is very slow and methodical, so I suppose I am more the "memorization genius" than "twitcher" when it comes to dealing with really hard games.

This is also sort of why I am the only person in my house who enjoys Ikaruga. The Girl likes thinking deeply like I do (Hence shared love for Civ and her love of FF) but can't really twitch as well. Oddly enough, my FPS play style is very slow and methodical, so I suppose I am more the "memorization genius" than "twitcher" when it comes to dealing with really hard games.

Huh I had a different impression of you... :lol:

You'd probably enjoy the touhou games if you give them a try. Believe it or not, twitching capabilities are just a method of game play. Hell most people tell me they can't play it because they feel they need to memorize patterns.

SURPRISE I DON'T MEMORIZE THEM AT ALL~! :lol:

that make it thrilling for me.

Stage 5 of UFO is probably my favorite "gauntlet" stage on lunatic mode :lmassoff:

I think anyone who has the balls, so to speak, to ride a motorcycle up an ICBM as it's disintegrating into space (along with the quip "Ah, plenty of time" as if she means it as the ICBM is clearing the launch pad) can have as small a window to engage witch time as they like.

Edit: If that was in a movie it would make it a legitimate blockbuster. I mean come on! Who the hell could possibly have thought that up for an action movie? That's 10 kinds of awesome!

Also the combined infernal demon summon was fantastic.

Also unlocking Jeanne was pretty annoying cause getting platinum on the motorcycle/missile levels was not easy.

Huh I had a different impression of you... :lol:

You'd probably enjoy the touhou games if you give them a try.

Touhou is made of awesome.

I love bullet hell games. Parsec 47 is a thrill ride- it induces seizures in most others.

Back to Bayonetta!

What is your play style? I've noticed I am very partial to "Crack Monkey attack" as I like to call it- avoid most attacks, then go in and smash until you have to get out of range again. Incidentally, this means I'm really bad at taking on enemies who are much bigger than me. Stupid not acting like a person, stupid tentacle monster!

I find myself often times trying to corral them up and then slaughtering them with a lot of kick combos. Only saving the "torture" and "punishment" moments when I face larger prey. Whenever I find a lance just do some wild kicking from there rather than keep it. I find the blunderbuss (trumpets) rather annoying despite having a lot of raw power as they're just too slow for me to use as much.

I've also found myself fancying the all-around shot (L circle + triangle or circle) and shoot them up as I go dodging when the time comes.

My strategy is very up and in your face since my eyes and fingers are fast enough. I go in attacking usually with any combination and watch for any attackers. PPKKK is really strong cause it's two wicked weaves. PPPKKK is strong because it sweeps and will interrupt enemy attackers. PPPPK is just insane damage overall and is what I usually resort to. First priority is to do a delayed block so I get to counter with a super long WT and if there are just too many angles to watch for then I'll resort to actually dodging to activate WT. In Non-Stop Infinite Climax you can't WT normally so I'll probably resort to skirting around with lots of dodges like I did when I wasn't so good at timing my dodges but with the black rosary equipped this time.

In terms of using bought techniques I keep them all on and use them except for three (or four I guess). I keep the dash punch, the heel slide, and crow within off which also means I can't use the crow dive. This is mostly because in midair I have a tendency to spam dodge which means crow screws me up and if I panic and start pressing directions a lot to preemptively block really fast attacks I'll end up doing a dash and screw up my combo.

Tried to finish the Lost Chapter without maxing out my health and magic first. Lost at the 2X Jeanne battle.

EDIT: Okay I lied. I actually use Umbran Spear now. I always kept it on but even if you have crow disabled you will transform into a crow then right back out if you use the technique in human form. This is actually really useful and more precise than using the full throttle kick downward.

Oh man I love this game.

I remember really getting into Devil May Cry 4 when it got out, and played the hell out of it but always felt like something was really missing, and considering almost nothing in the "stylish action" genre came out after that, I was left feeling half baked once I completely beat DMC4.

When I started playing this game however, everything I ever loved about action games and Devil May Cry / Viewtiful Joe / God Hand all came together in this game. I couldn't stop playing it, thinking about it, everything like that.

Games like this when done this well get me so amped to continue playing it, finding all the secrets, and getting high ranks to the best of my abilities and overall get better at understanding the game etc, I love it when games make me want to learn it (Street Fighter comes to mind in terms of wanting to learn the ins and outs). It was also very good to see lots of these secrets btw, some of these special weapons and the secret boss (tough mofo!) and the "blood palace" stage were great things to see 'return', even though it's an original title and all.

I can't recommend this game enough, even after finishing it 6 times I still want to go back and play it some more. =]

EDIT:

Oh and I almost play exclusively with the Katana, I love charging and using dodge offset with it.

I usually keep the 'flame shoes' on secondary for dealing with opponents that need a little more nonsubtle beatdown. =D

blew my fucking mind. Not only is the entire scene awesome but the track brought tears to my eyes. ITS THE MOTHER FUCKING AFTERBURNER THEME! remixed for that stage.

Also find myself preferring to mix it up between the Scarburough Fair and Durga/lightning side.

In case you weren't aware there are tons of old SEGA tracks in Bayonetta, most are even re-arranged by HIRO who composed 'em. Two tracks from Out Run, After Burner, After Burner II, Fantasy Zone's boss theme and the theme from Space Harrier.

In case you weren't aware there are tons of old SEGA tracks in Bayonetta, most are even re-arranged by HIRO who composed 'em. Two tracks from Out Run, After Burner, After Burner II, Fantasy Zone's boss theme and the theme from Space Harrier.

I started to notice them, so much nostalgia being blasted towards me. :shock:

I own it... and trust me when I say that this game oozes killer intent. I mean it's like devil may cry 4 on speed and acid while throwing in random stipper moves, poses, sultry dancing and a combo system that makes ninja gaiden 2 look like child's play. and don't get me started with how messed up some of the weapons are... 10/10 for me

Are the PS3 load times bad enough to make you not wanna play?

Or does it just have a long installation like DMC4?

The load times are fine, cos it lets you practice your moves while it's loading. The really bad thing about the PS3 version is that the FMV is mostly half baked and unfinished

Fricking SEGA