OCR01172 - Secret of Mana "Return to Elysian Lands"

::drool::

and its not just cause its orchestral.

man, emotive as all hell.

very very good arranging

there are time swhen it screams "im synthy," but thats okay, its very adaptative in this vibe that it should sound like this.

very surreal texture to a lot of it, and a completely enjoyable listen, DL now cause the man says so.

(is this Squid font? if so, I have never heard a better usage of those samples... like DEAR GOD! thats some amazing sequencing for squid.)

This is pretty good (like a few aspects), but like GrayLightning said in the judge forum, his originals are better. His MysticalLand sounds a lot like The Great Gianna Sisters.

EDIT: His longer originals are better. There are a lot of short minute-ish ones, but those are in the older section it would seem. The latest 4 and most of the later ones make me think the rest in the future are going to be long and good. Maybe one day I'll be able to make a CD =) So you have to agree even though you don't like spending long on arrangements it sure makes you more well known.

There is some nice work here done in making this sound like an actual orchestra, and the samples are all very good except for the percussion, yet the arrangement gives me a kind of ehh feeling in the end. It never seems to be very fulfilling - it's kind of anticlimactic, and the parts are mostly sparse and conservative. I really wish it would build to an intense climax, but it always seems like it's just on the edge and never quite gets there.

Still, the sound you've got is definitely right (minus the percussion). I just think the parts are all fairly conservative and almost hesitant to build up to something. It needs to be expanded into further territory and take some more risks. Otherwise, as I said before, it's kind of unfulfilling in the end.

This piece most definitely sends me off to a faraway landscape as I listen to it. Although very dreamy, I'm not too impressed with it unfortunately. It is a great piece, but in my opinion I have heard much better remixes. *Shrug* :(

I'm using the Vienna Strings samples and a bunch of Miroslav.

That would explain why the strings sounds so good. My only wish (can't really call it a complaint, this song is too pretty sounding to complain about) is that there was more brass in it so that we got more of a full orchestra sound as opposed to the string orchestra with some woodwinds. Either way, this is really good.

• 4 weeks later...

Three seconds into the remix I basically had to compose myself so as to avoid an immediate seizure. Mana was my first RPG, and to this day the mysticism and majesty of that world holds tight with me, and this remix carries on that spirit strong. This remix just draws you right into the title scene, the majesty of that gigantic tree, the backstory of destruction and rebirth rolling on slowly, and I'll be damned when those bells ring I can see flocks of those pink birds fluttering across a majestic forest with sunlight peeking through the boughs of the mana tree. Utterly fantastic, here.

I could imagine this done to a fully animated opening with a quality so high it'd put Studio Ghibli to shame. Bravo, man.

• 2 months later...

This is one hell of a remix. One of the best symphonic mixes I've heard on OC Remix to be honest. The arrangement is just stellar. I am partial to movie scores and this definitely delivers. The mix and arrangement is so well done that my brain basically accepts the strings as the real thing. The timpani sounds really sweet. Quality, man, this is quality work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

When I first heard this, I was kind of unimpressed and I and I almost deleted it, but I am not sure why I didn't.

But I am sure glad I didn't. This, like many of my favorite tracks, took more than a first impression for me to fall in love with it. Once I listened to it more, it grew on me, and I realized that the different, more minimalist tone was not a fault.

I like to listen to this mostly when I am drifting off to sleep, and it's very moving. Especially at 1:13 all the way to 2:00, and then at 2:59 to 3:13 it just gives me a very serene feeling and I envision the most beautiful things. It gives me a feeling not unlike the kind you have when you are looking at someone you have a crush on. A feeling of longing and admiration, of utmost beauty.

It's very smooth, mellow, peaceful and dreamy, and that doesn't make it bad. I love that it's more minimalistic, I love the chords that drift in and out like gentle waves. Remarkable work. Great job. I recommend you listen to it a bit more and try to be detached from other things when you do if you did not like it at first.

• 4 months later...

This is truly beautiful, Nigel. I love the epic feel to this entire piece. There is a sense of nature, almost, within this. The song would fit perfectly to wandering through a lush forest, peaceful, yet grand. Powerful... yet tender.

Not to mention that it loops flawlessly. Put the song to be the only one on the list, and set your player to repeat. It's just... wow...

Awesome job, Mr. Simmons.

P.S. I'm now a Red Mage. :wink: Better than an Eggplant Wizard, anyday.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Agrees with pretzel and Rimfrost, this can as easy as pie be the music to the movie of this game. This is a majestic piece, the strings and flutes goes up and down like a wave, and gets continuously pushed up by the have drums and cymbals. I'm very familiar with the melody, it does sound good in orchestral form.

This is gold.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01172 - Secret of Mana "Return to Elysian Lands"