Zelda Dungeon Remix

Musiccat

So I don't know if this is your first mix or not, but this is nice. Every time the melody plays it has something new and different about it, and the structure seems concise.

That said, the arrangement is pretty bland. The key change towards the end was decent; there's nothing wrong about it, but there are other ways of doing it besides just abruptly. The heartbeat that comes in at :10 threw me off the first time. Maybe tweaking with the sound to make it more pronounced instead of an off-beat bass note. Also, 1:41 is pretty short; I'm sure you could throw some original ideas in there or something and extend it.

my opinions

So I don't know if this is your first mix or not, but this is nice. Every time the melody plays it has something new and different about it, and the structure seems concise.

That said, the arrangement is pretty bland. The key change towards the end was decent; there's nothing wrong about it, but there are other ways of doing it besides just abruptly. The heartbeat that comes in at :10 threw me off the first time. Maybe tweaking with the sound to make it more pronounced instead of an off-beat bass note. Also, 1:41 is pretty short; I'm sure you could throw some original ideas in there or something and extend it.

my opinions

Great, thank you! Yes, it's my first mix, I'll work hard! ... I love the heart out of time, cause it's like mine (i have arrhythmia) :P.

I don't know anything about Remixes, I always do originals, so... I didn't know I could add some new cat-things, I'll next time.

Thank you again ^^

I agree with Xenon on this one: you need to mix in a bit more 'oomph', so to say, to make this mix a bit more appealing. The choir in the background is nice, but the base sounds a little bit mechanical, which distracts from the tune a lot IMHO; as if you're using a stick to bash against a barrel while you've got a whole orchestra behind you. Like, what happen, drumguy fell asleep or something? ;) And seconded: it's kind of short...

You've got some great material to start off with here though :)

You should definately keep working on this one. Some thoughts I had about it:

The percussion feels a little weak/bakgroundy and the bass is sort of all over the place but I like the mood of the piece. You should make it longer and come up with more ideas (like the heartbeat). Don't be afraid to be original :wink:

The atmosphere of this mix fits very well to the theme. You did a great job about that. But you have to extend you track (yes, 1:41 is short but other people have already said that) by adding some original stuff (like sounds effects, just like the heartbeat, or other things) and your own composition (judges love to have 50/50 between the original tune and new stuff added).

Anyway, you did a great job for the moment. Keep at it ! :razz:

I'm still new at critiquing so take these thoughts with a grain of salt.

The drums and the bass are a problem with this track as was previously mentioned.

-The toms sound shy. Trying bringing them upfront a bit more.

-The hi-hat sounds dry to me. Try adding some some reverb.

-It's probably me but the bass feels a bit too upfront and kinda fills up a lot of the soundscape and takes away from the other instruments. Try adjusting the level of the bass.

You got a lot of good stuff on here though. I like the intro (the heartbeat sound was cool). The choir was nice (sounded real to me). I like ominous tracks in general and this one definitely had that feeling.

For a first mix this is good. Keep at it! And good luck!

Hey there,

Nice work on your first mix.

I think honestly what this song is lacking is just, it feels empty even though it has so much going on it.

I think you should experiment and work on making it super gritty and evil. Maybe experiment with distortion and compression. Your percussion is very weak when it shouldn't be. It may be the samples you are using, but you can always do fx on your drums to compensate somewhat. Compression could help.

Honestly, this sounds like the background music for a great guitar mix, if you can understand that. It's like something is missing, something substantial to take it to the next level.

But really, cool work on your first mix. Just bring out the badass in you and experiment with your sound to find that right evil tone.

Mono's right; it's certainly missing something, it is background music. I hadn't noticed when listening to it put to your video, since that basically made background music the expectation.

You could write an original lead melody but, not being a musically inclined person, I can't imagine what that would sound like.

Lyrics could help, but it'd be hard to pull off without sounding really cheesy, and even then it'd only sound good in the 2nd and 3rd iterations.

You could weave in another source throughout, but I can't think of one that's compatible.

But there's no way I can think of to bring this inherently background-y source forward without adding something new beyond the arrangement.

This sounds nice for a first work. I'd have to agree with everyone else and say that from a background standpoint, this is good. Just try experimenting with leads (as well as fixing the drums a hair) and see if you can get that extra "something" that will push it to the next level. Other than that, I'm loving the dark feeling of this tune.:smile: Good for a dungeon.