*NO* Animal Crossing 'Slippery Safari'

Liontamer

Greetings. I present a track that was originally written (a long time ago) for Joe Cam's expansive Animal Crossing remix project... and ended up on Joe Cam's rather oddly released KK Setlist. Ah well. I like my mix and feel it a fine submission for the site.

---

Remix Title: Slippery Safari

Game: Animal Crossing

Composers: Kenta Nagata, Shinobu Tanaka, Toru Minegishi

Remixer: Mazedude

File:

Description: When I was approached with the notion of doing an Animal Crossing mix, of course I wanted to hear the source material, as I was completely unfamiliar with the game. After hearing I few tracks I was overcome with the sensation of "What the hell is this???" But Joe Cam explained what it was that I was hearing, and ideas started to form. I then chose the "Safari" theme, thinking "Oh boy, I'll make it all safari like, with tribal drums and chanting and who knows what else!" But... that didn't happen. Somehow, someway, I ended up going totally off the deep end into the world of synths and chopped up samplepacks on this one. And of course, the usual Mazedude tricks: odd syncopation, fun with overlapping time signatures, wild synth leads, everything ya need to give you that tingly feeling.

---

Mazedude

---------------------------------------------------------------

The 6-note pattern introing the arrangement (:00-:09 of the mix) seems inspired by either :12-:26 of the source's intro or 2:10-2:14's of the source's ending, but sounds too different/liberal for me to count it. That means the sections where it was alone (e.g. 1:26-2:33 of the mix) were too liberal for me.

Same issue with the steady 6-note pattern running in the background first from :38-1:07 of the mix, which was the similar to the 6-note patterns of the source's chorus (1:11-1:15 of the source).

So the breakdown below is basically what I could make out.

:10-19, :20-:27, 1:07-1:26, 2:34-2:43, 2:44-2:51, 2:53-3:02, 3:03.5-3:09, 3:12-3:21, 3:22-3:30

That's about 83.5 seconds of a 217-second long track or about 38.48% overt source usage.

As far as I'm making out, it's kind of like "Smooth Tanooki". The original writing ideas sound similar to the source, are stylistically derived from the source, and connect well with the obvious usages of the source. The track sounds strong and I like listening to it. But the overall connections to the source aren't overt enough when you listen to it. The source usage sounds too liberal for me to pass it.

If someone can show me A-to-B connections that illuminate the source usage, I'm down with revisiting my vote, but I gave it a fair shake and I'm not making it out enough.

NO (resubmit)

And of course, the usual Mazedude tricks: odd syncopation, fun with overlapping time signatures, wild synth leads, everything ya need to give you that tingly feeling.

I love all of that stuff--it sounds fantastic--but this mix is problematic. The source itself is pretty odd, and you do a good job of utilizing it, but there are long stretches (like starting at :27, and again at 1:26) where it doesn't sound like what you have is derived from the source music; rather, it's riffing on the original bassline/comping you've set up in the earlier parts of the mix. It sounds great, but it goes off the rails, away from the source.

I think if we saw some stronger usage of the themes from the admittedly odd source, it'd be better, but for now, I'm gonna say NO, resub.

Weird ass arrangement. I guess Mazedude has given the site some mindbending stuff over the years, but this really was hard for me to enjoy. I don't feel that it's unmusical, but there's too much going on sometimes and too many volume changes. Not my thing.

I can hear how the pad in Chris's mix is based on the 0:32-0:34 pattern in Safari, but it's too altered to carry a connection. The melody stuff is all well-and-good, but that means a minority of this mix comes from Safari by a sizable margin. It's pretty much been pointed out already, I couldn't find anything to change that. :-(

NO