MAGFest 9: What dates do you want?

Nick The Newbie

Hey guys. Some of you know me, and some don't, but I'm Nick, and I help with MAGFest.

We're currently working on the dates for MAGFest 9, and the hotel is giving us the option for different dates. We're sticking to Thurs-Sun this year, so the options at Dec 30 - Jan 2 (doesn't interfere with classes, but might interfere with new years family time), or Jan 13 - Jan 16 (Might interfere with classes, but better for people who can't take work off or have to stay with their families new years weekend).

So we've got a poll up at http://magfest.org/node/326, and it'll help us make our decision. You have to register to cast a vote, but it only takes a second, plus we can keep all the votes centralized.

Thanks for all your help, guys!

Well I mentioned my thoughts in the poll comments, but I do not like those dates because 1 takes away being able to spend time with other friends (and unlike some, I like to keep a diverse social circle), and the other is just flat out impossible. The ideal date would be the weekend in between but it NEVER gets discussed as a possibility or even as a desirable date, which makes me very unhappy :? .

Well I mentioned my thoughts in the poll comments, but I do not like those dates because 1 takes away being able to spend time with other friends (and unlike some, I like to keep a diverse social circle), and the other is just flat out impossible. The ideal date would be the weekend in between but it NEVER gets discussed as a possibility or even as a desirable date, which makes me very unhappy :? .

I agree here with Wes. Though I voted for the second option, the 13-16 of Jan, I would still rather see it the first full weekend of January mainly because it would be much easier to take the time off. With New Year's being on that weekend, I myself have to work the last two days of the year, and it's unfortunately mandatory (which I think is garbage, but hey, I don't run the place). Anyway, I would January 6 through the 9 for MAGFest for sure, and I'd even be able to make the whole thing. But it's not about me, it's about everyone who loves MAGFest and what's really more convenient for the majority.

I agree here with Wes. Though I voted for the second option, the 13-16 of Jan, I would still rather see it the first full weekend of January mainly because it would be much easier to take the time off. With New Year's being on that weekend, I myself have to work the last two days of the year, and it's unfortunately mandatory (which I think is garbage, but hey, I don't run the place). Anyway, I would January 6 through the 9 for MAGFest for sure, and I'd even be able to make the whole thing. But it's not about me, it's about everyone who loves MAGFest and what's really more convenient for the majority.

Believe me, if jan 6-9 was an option, we wouldn't be making a poll out of it.

I'd prefer the 13-16th to new year's weekend, but I'm also curious why the 6th-9th isn't an option. If there is anything that can be done to make it an option, I'd be willing to pay a more expensive registration if it lowers my plane tickets without impinging on my first week of classes.

Summer would also be nice for similar reasons.

I didn't know students had to go to class on a Saturday and Sunday.

But they need the Friday and the Monday to fly in and fly out (unless MAGFest of course starts at on the afternoon on Saturday and ends on Sunday afternoon - I looked for a program on the web site but couldn't find one so I'm not sure).

If you put MAGfest in the spring or the summer it makes it an easy decision for me, I will have much more flexible options. The winter is just a bad time for me overall.

But they need the Friday and the Monday to fly in and fly out (unless MAGFest of course starts at on the afternoon on Saturday and ends on Sunday afternoon - I looked for a program on the web site but couldn't find one so I'm not sure).

If you put MAGfest in the spring or the summer it makes it an easy decision for me, I will have much more flexible options. The winter is just a bad time for me overall.

Most students have Fridays off as well.

And that Monday is MLK (Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday) which means they also have off.

I didn't know students had to go to class on a Saturday and Sunday.

If you'd looked up the dates mentioned, you'd notice that they're Thursday through Sunday.

Meaning, to go you'd have to leave Friday evening, or Saturday morning. Arrive Saturday or late Friday night, and then leave early Sunday to be back by Monday morning for class.

And I don't know where you got the idea that most students have Friday off...

Again stated, Monday is a holiday for you guys.

That doesn't particularly change the fact that I'd arrive for 1 (hopefully) full day of MAGFest, and 1 day of closing ceremonies and people leaving.

Also: My tickets from LA to DC didn't cost $500. Michelle told Jordan that, as well.

Also also: why would tickets on the NYE holiday be any more expensive than ones on the MLK holiday? BUT whatever it doesn't matter to me either way. I just won't be able to go if it's then, so I'll save the money.