Battletoads dubstep remix (finished)

Jarski

Yo!

I thought that couple of Battletoads tunes could sound nice if it's remixed with some dubstep influences. So I decided to test what I can do with these songs.:twisted:

Here is the result: http://jarskie.wippiespace.com/mp3/battletoadsdubstep.mp3

Heh, just kidding! :) Had lots of fun with that one, maybe when I have time I do full lenght remix of it too. :smile: (atm I have too many wip songs and this song have low priority right now:sad:)

Here is the tune I'm working at the moment: http://jarskie.wippiespace.com/mp3/wip/khoal_-_surfing_(battletoads_dubstep_rmx)v0.6.mp3

a little update: http://jarskie.wippiespace.com/mp3/wip/khoal_-_surfing_(battletoads_dubstep_rmx)v0.62.mp3

---------------------------

Final version 1: http://jarskie.wippiespace.com/mp3/khoal_-_surfing_(battletoads_dubstep_rmx).mp3

---------------------------

Just having fun with that level 3 tune and this is level 5 - surf city. (

original)

It still needs massive bassdrop with the melody which is at 00:15-00:29 in that video.

It would sound pretty awesome if someone pro like skream made that part.

I hope you guys enjoy this as much I did, so give me some comments! bad or good, anything that helps to finish this/these tunes. 8)

Pretty cool. I've been downloading a crapload of dubstep music lately. Some good stuff out there.

I know dubstep is all about the killer beat and the bass being the most prominent thing in the mix, however, your bass in the surfing one is TOO out of control. It's not a smooth clean bass, it's more just muddy.

Looking at your song on a frequency analyzer there's a crazy slope downward from low-end to high end. Even on dubstep, if you look at a well produced and mastered song through an analyzer you'll see that most of the frequencies are still fairly even across the board except for the massive bass notes usually sticking above the rest. Currently your song takes a dive on everything about 3khz approximately.

Also, you could probably highpass it up to 30-35Hz and get rid of the gunk below that that doesn't really give definition to your sound.

All in all pretty good just clean up the low end and bring in a little more high end to balance it out.

Good work.

Pretty cool. I've been downloading a crapload of dubstep music lately. Some good stuff out there.

I know dubstep is all about the killer beat and the bass being the most prominent thing in the mix, however, your bass in the surfing one is TOO out of control. It's not a smooth clean bass, it's more just muddy.

Looking at your song on a frequency analyzer there's a crazy slope downward from low-end to high end. Even on dubstep, if you look at a well produced and mastered song through an analyzer you'll see that most of the frequencies are still fairly even across the board except for the massive bass notes usually sticking above the rest. Currently your song takes a dive on everything about 3khz approximately.

Also, you could probably highpass it up to 30-35Hz and get rid of the gunk below that that doesn't really give definition to your sound.

All in all pretty good just clean up the low end and bring in a little more high end to balance it out.

Good work.

thx for the feedback Nubioso!

made a little update to the song, but havent got much time to do, so no big changes.

Hmmm, was trying to show a friend that I share my dubstep music with this song and appears the links are no longer working =/

Oops, my bad. I just added the "v0.62" to the links name but it didnt change the hyperlink. Now it's working properly.

here is the link anyways: http://jarskie.wippiespace.com/mp3/wip/khoal_-_surfing_(battletoads_dubstep_rmx)v0.62.mp3

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For a Battletoads remix, you sure haven't got too many comments out there. C'mon peeps, this is Battletoads (Surfing area, no less)! The source is one of those that I'm absolutely surprised isn't remixed more often.

I am... not that familiar with the genre, myself, so let me know if my comments are coming from a horribly ill-informed point of view rather than being helpful.

I like the texture / soundscape of the song, in general, but I feel the texture is too static. I'd love to hear it go a couple of other places, periodically, with the texture. The drums could use a little more variety, as well - the change towards the end isn't quite enough.

Chiptunes are always awesome and appropriate, and this remix is no exception. Love the chips 8). I suspect that's a very personal bias, though.

The song doesn't seem to have any direction, and the ending doesn't quite sound like one. That could be because of the relatively static nature of the piece. More direction would make this great.

It certainly isn't a bad mix, imho - it has great production value and it's a great source. It just doesn't seem to go anywhere, as is. Hope this helps :-o.

It could be my lack of dubstep experience, but the changes that I hear don't seem significant enough. It's the lack of change of harmonic change that's bugging me specifically, though - there are a lot of little things that are changing, but the bigger picture isn't changing, at all. If that's how dubstep works (similarly to trance, for example) then this comment merely shows my ignorance to the genre (one that I'm now curious about but don't want to illegally download tracks to get into it), but otherwise I'm pretty sure my ears aren't deceiving me, here.

My first post wasn't specific enough, sorry.