OCR01201 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 'Truth in Forgiveness Await'

djpretzel

Hey Dave!

Artist: The Risen Dayspring

Song Title: Truth In Forgiveness Await

E-mail Address: MadeByHisGrace@yahoo.com

This is my first submission and I look forward to making many more in the future....

This song is based off Tifa's Theme in FF7 and I have titled my version "Truth In Forgiveness Await". I really enjoyed making all of the many parts to this song, but I have to say that I really enjoyed most doing the guitar tracks, because I left a whole section open for it and I had no idea what it would sound like in the end. And I am very happy with the end result. I also had a great time with the ending key change chorus doing the piano and drum parts because there was just so much movement in that section. Doing these remixes are so much fun!

Thank you!

David Michael

Hmm...interesting arrangement, the only bad i see is

A the sample/sound quality,

B occasional bad notes.

everything sounds stringy, the samples sound GM.

however, the arrangement is really quite engaging, it goes so many places that i didn't expect, and it's well played. I really wish better instruments and a better encoding were used.

but as it is, YES

This is a pretty basic transition of Tifa's theme into a rock ballad/orchestral score hybrid. The sound quality is absolutely sub-par in every way. Cool overdubs with chorus can't hide that. Drum quality is unbalanced, with a pretty slick snare and kick, but tinny, lifeless cymbals. The whole arrangement is sloppy and lacks any real punch. A couple cool piano runs and guitar licks, but those seem like bright stars in a dark, dark galaxy.

The drums at 3:50 almost made me puke. Honest. No rhythmic sense in the whole damn fill. The drum arrangement in general is very spotty and random in nature.

There isn't one thing in this mix that would make me pass it. Very low sound quality, confusing arrangement and progressions and muddy guitar work all contribute to make this fall far below the standards. Aren't we raising the bar?

NO

-D

The sound quality in this is below par. The arrangement is very fluid, perhaps too much at times, but it is definitely impressive. The percussion sounds don't seem to gel together at all, and the overall sound is very thin. I like songs in this style, and I like this arrangement, but the sound quality is below the OC bar; I have passed mixes with questionable sounds before, but the sounds used in this without doubt put it way down the scale.

NO

Would be a yes with better patches.

My diatribe on samples:

So we reject the song on the basis of sample quality. Is this poor bastard going to run out the next day and plop down $300 on Hyper-Dragon-Goku-XP-Special Edition sound fonts? Hardly. I win.

That having been said-

-Very unusual arrangement, and I say unusual instead of odd because unusual has more of a positive slant. It's a very meandering piece, more of stream of consciousness style of writing that we rarely find around here.

I really enjoy the moments when he "kicks it up a notch" at -1:07. There are some odd rhythmic [sic] hiccups here and there that may or may not be intended, but overall, it's competantly written, wildly original, and that ain't not bad in my book, samples be damned.

YES