Star Trek Online

kitty

I haven't seen a thread about STO so I guess I'll start.

I don't know how many of you are into Star Trek or have even heard about the MMO that's releasing the end of this month, but I'm pretty excited to start playing.

I was gonna explain gameplay stuff but I'd rather not ramble. Instead, here's a link to the official website: http://startrekonline.com/

(and sorry I suck at starting threads)

Soooo who's thinking about playing (or is going to play)?

Have you registered for the open beta? It's going on right now.

I am hearing mixed reviews though - a lot of people have issues with its polish. There's some clunky mechanics (especially on the ground), the space combat is slow (Federation ships turn like a bus) and many people were disappointed that the game wasn't faction based, and instead the Klingons are basically the PMvP (player monster vs player) faction.

On the good side though I hear that the Trek side of things is pretty faithfully done.

Well for myself, I'm a pretty big Star Trek nerd, especially for my age. I got the collector's edition for Christmas but I haven't been able to log into the game due to corrupted installation files. Trying to fix that up right now. Hopefully the gameplay will make up for my headache.

And I think the whole PvP race kinda thing is kinda misunderstood. I mean, if the game is horribly unbalanced then everyone's just gonna jump ship. I think the quests are just focused on certain aspects that correspond to the factions. Like the Federation has a bunch of exploration quests while Klingons go down and attack another species or something.

Once I get into the game I can post a more accurate gameplay review.

My point still stands :P Why would you have a "PVP race?"

Also, what's your eve online character so I can gank you with smart bombs :D

I'm not telling you now!

And as far as the PVP race goes, yeah it's a dumb idea. I think the Klingons basically have instanced PVP any time, but can also kill the Federation sometimes. It would have been way way better to just have them as factions and to force them to fight over areas of space.

Well after a few hours of play I'd have to say it's a good game, but not a great game.

Space combat, for me, is much more fun than ground combat. The ground combat is a weird mix between a traditional MMO skill-based system and over the shoulder 3rd person shooter; only that you shoot by activating your skills. The space combat is a nice and slow and even and beginning levels allows for a little custom strategy.

Early missions are tedious until you get a weapon upgrade drop which, like regular drops, rarely happen.

Some PvP, as far as I know, takes place similar to battlegrounds in WoW. However I haven't ventured into these areas yet as I'm still getting used to the game.

As for those interested in story, the story so far has been very weak. Missions are usually just grunt work and when you find out something imporant you just get a pat on the back and get sent back out to mop up something else.

It really depends on what you're looking for in an MMO. Personally I thought Guild Wars was a really great game even though it doesn't really classify as a true MMO.

My review is also a little biased, as I haven't played as a Klingon race yet. When I look for a strong story, I want something that's on par with traditional console JRPGs; so STO is definitely gonna fall short of that. Keep in mind too that you can only reach level 16 in the open beta so there's much more content that has yet to be revealed.

I should amend my review by adding that there are several features such as linking items like you can in WoW, standard guild features such as a guild bank, ranks etc., and a good auction system that help with economy side of things.

EDIT: Just read the latest patch notes and the level cap has been removed. So look out for more reviews of the content.