Korg Kaoss vs Korg Kaoss Mini

Kaputnik

Hello out there!

I have a little question to ask.

Since i am at the beginning of making/creating/recreating music i just know Midi-Keyboard, virtual synthesizers and Trombone (the only instrument i have learned 6 years long) and have discovered something very new for me called Kaossilator (i guess its not so new for you guys :wink: )

I am going to buy a Kaossilator, because i think this is an awesome kind of instrument and i really want to have more than just a midi keyboard and i really would like to create some audio with it.

My problem is that (beside from knowing what the Korg Kaoss is capable of) i dont really know the difference between regular White/Yellow "Korg Kaoss Kaossilator" and the Black/Red "Korg Kaoss Pad Mini".

No... i really know nearly nothing about both in general! Just the price on Amazon.de (145€ kaoss and 142€ kaoss mini)

Important for me is:

The Mini looks better ;P thus i would tend to buy the Mini BUT: he should not have less abilitys than the "regular" Kaoss (especially the Loop thing)

Another very frigin important point for me is power supply. I read both run on Batteries and both do it for max. 5 hours (wich can be annoying if it is the ONLY power support because i would have to change batteries often) but i only know the Kaoss Mini does have an power jack to plug in.

Oh and yes. Is it possible to plug it between an IPod and the headphones (so i can remix while listening to smthng)?

So please dear OCR people. Help me out and give me a crash course in "the difference between Kaoss and Kaoss Mini"! :puppyeyes::puppyeyes::puppyeyes:

Thanks in advance

Kaputnik

okay stupid me...

googled the homepage of Korg.

so the KaossMini is just for the extra effects but to make the fancy loop thingy i just can use the regular Kaoss right?

and both support AC power adapter thats what i found out.

its just a pitty that the regular Kaoss seems to have no Input...

if that all is correct i have decidet for the Korg Kaoss Kaossilator and therefore topic closeable (but first please confirm the information i found so i can sleep peacefully)

so I have the korg kaoss pad. I don't use it nearly as much as I do my computer when it comes to making/creating/recreating music, more so I use it to kinda dick around with songs I've made (but the dicking is never re-recorded so it's just having fun, wasting 5 minutes or so). I have used the sample option to load up loops and tried making a song using the sample bank/loop edit thing but again, I've personally found it easier just to use a computer to do these things. It does come with nice effects, it's just rather difficult to incorporate them properly into a mix (or perhaps I'm doing it wrong).

Anyways, you have the right info in terms of kaossmini just being extra effects and both support ac power.

thank you for the quick answer.

interesting to hear how other people use the kaoss. dicking around sounds nice. i think of using it too for that kind of thing but i also thought if i by accident or by skill create some sweet loops i would record them with the record function.

but practically i thought of some kind of "do it yourself mp3 player but do it with style" for travelling or for university =)

@ Valenciangad: oohkaay... now i have to google x) im not so familiar with some words and phrases you mentioned.

By the way, my only audio equipment so far is the Magix Music Maker Premium 16 XXL (inlusive this so called "midi keyboard" which is actually more a usb keyboard and which seems to be more a toy than a actual keyboard), Audacity (of course), a "maybe not so toally legal" copy of Adobe Soundbooth (got it as a birthday present from my brother. he thought of doing me a favour but i dont like illegal software so its not installed) and a Sennheiser Headset for recording voice...

as you can see my "equipment" is really absolutely nothing (or absolute everything below zero) compared to the stuff you guys are using regulary.

i cant afford more than about 150-200 euro atm and the Kaoss seems to be the best start for me to "Upgrade" my equipment, to get more serious with the whole "creation" thing (its still my dream to become professional music artist one day) and to enhance the possibilitys for me in making music. (and finally a new music instrument to play with)

i intent to use the Kaoss to create new loops and sounds for my very basic samples-and-loops-moving software because always buying new sound archives isnt satisfying anymore since about 2 years (and i make music with that software for about 10 years now)...

what do you think about my plan?

you don't really create loops using the kaoss pad as far as I know. It's more set up to trigger loops you already have and then mess them up with the effects and junk.

hmm well yes, but you can record whatever kaoss plays on computer via audacity right? and i think creating loops that way is more fun than with a keyboard wich i cannot play or an software i dont have or with the lame software i already have (and which isnt good enough in creating loops to do it seriously)

you sure can.

awesome =D

im really looking forward to next week, then im going to the local store to get mine (ive already reserved an kaoss, a audio cable and an power supply). i definately will be not available for weeks while enjoying this genious masterpiece of music industry :-o

greetings

@ Valenciangad: oohkaay... now i have to google x) im not so familiar with some words and phrases you mentioned.

The reason for that is because he's a spambot. I've reported it but no one has done anything about it. His sig goes to some bullshit diet supplement page where you can order it.

Don't believe me? Take his quote from here:

The Mini-KP also adds a beat-synced delay to smooth changes between effects, but you can bypass this if desired. While we’re at it, there’s a ton of delays and reverbs — forwards, backwards, tape and dub delays, you name it. Reverb quality was certainly good, though you probably wouldn’t use the Mini-KP as a dedicated reverb for, say, a lead vocal. Most unique among the Mini-KP’s effects are those that split the frequency range into two or more bands, then process only one with effects; for example, “48 Mid Slicer” chops up the midrange while leaving the low end untouched to stomp the dance floor — cool! There are similarly mid-specific flangers and auto-panners, and “71 3-band Gated Reverb” does just what its name suggests, affecting lows, mids, and highs differently.

And compare it to this page:

The Mini-KP also adds a beat-synced delay to smooth changes between effects, but you can bypass this if desired. While we’re at it, there’s a ton of delays and reverbs — forwards, backwards, tape and dub delays, you name it. Reverb quality was certainly good, though you probably wouldn’t use the Mini-KP as a dedicated reverb for, say, a lead vocal. Most unique among the Mini-KP’s effects are those that split the frequency range into two or more bands, then process only one with effects; for example, “48 Mid Slicer” chops up the midrange while leaving the low end untouched to stomp the dance floor — cool! There are similarly mid-specific flangers and auto-panners, and “71 3-band Gated Reverb” does just what its name suggests, affecting lows, mids, and highs differently.

If he's an actual person, then he's just copy-pastaing. If he's a bot, then they've got a way to copy-paste surprisingly relevant content.

Are you really, really sure about that?

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2533301

That was just announced. It'll give you a sampler, synthesizer and looper in one; and it has MIDI I/O meaning that you can play it like a regular synth.

yea, ive heard about that but first i cant afford it if its price is same as kp3 and in addition to that i want to learn first the touchpad with loop function before getting something thats capable of more. may sound silly but it means a lot to me. if its capable of too much i have to learn more before i master it completely. so if i first master the smaller (and cheaper) one, mastering the bigger one will be easier and as an side effect until then i have collected the money for the bigger one so i can expand my skills. by the way i will have more than one synthi then wich is not too bad.

thats how i think about it