Webpages Display too Small

XZero

Okay, so here's the story. Yesterday, I managed to get a particularly nasty virus on my laptop. My efforts to remove it were futile, though thankfully all of my important documents (and media files) are on external drives. To that end, I ended up formatting the hard drive.

I'm now in the process of reinstalling everything, but I've hit a little snag. It seems that my Internet Explorer window displays smaller than it did yesterday. This is true of all webpages. The settings seem to be the same (same zoom level, text size, screen resolution, etc.). Lots of webpages just display much smaller, like towers in the middle of the screen. The monitor is widescreen, so this is expected to some extent, but not like this.

The Dell tech support person insisted that changing the fonts would help, but that wasn't the case. Does anyone know how to make webpages display larger outside of increasing the zoom level?

Okay, so here's the story. Yesterday, I managed to get a particularly nasty virus on my laptop. My efforts to remove it were futile, though thankfully all of my important documents (and media files) are on external drives. To that end, I ended up formatting the hard drive.

I'm now in the process of reinstalling everything, but I've hit a little snag. It seems that my Internet Explorer window displays smaller than it did yesterday. This is true of all webpages. The settings seem to be the same (same zoom level, text size, screen resolution, etc.). Lots of webpages just display much smaller, like towers in the middle of the screen. The monitor is widescreen, so this is expected to some extent, but not like this.

The Dell tech support person insisted that changing the fonts would help, but that wasn't the case. Does anyone know how to make webpages display larger outside of increasing the zoom level?

Try firefox? :)

^^ I knew someone was going to recommend that. I know a lot of people like Firefox, but I'd rather try to find a solution for IE7 first before switching.

It seems a lot like fixing IE7 would be a lot more hassle than getting Firefox.

But okay, I haven't used IE in years (except for school) so I dunno how to help you there.

But the best solution IMO is Firefox. :) Just sayin.

Okay, I downloaded Firefox, and I am currently typing this through it. Same problem. Text is very small, and web pages do not display as they should. I think it's something related to my screen resolution, but if I make it smaller, the screen gets blurry.

The scroll wheel actually does zoom in both IE and FireFox (by default), though that's not necessarily a bad thing. In Firefox, you can go to View -> Zoom and click on Zoom Text Only, which makes Ctrl+Scroll Wheel change just the font size. IE8 doesn't have that option, but you can choose View -> Text Size.

I can't get a screenshot at the moment, but some playing with it showed that I'm roughly 10% further back from the page. What I mean by this is that 110% puts me about where I should be. The problem is that it cuts off the sides of webpages, and while this isn't a huge issue generally, it does affect my use of WestLaw (a paid legal document website) when it cuts off the sides of cases.