*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'en Terra'

djpretzel

Heya OCR!!! :)

I know what you are thinking... OMG NO!! Another FF Remix!! But, I think you'll like this orchestral version of "terra"

I recently got one of my pieces accepted into OCR called, "Halo - Ruined Desert" and I've now got another piece I would like to submit to you guys:

enjoy!

This track is my orchestral interpretation of the Final Fantasy 6's track called, "Terra". I wanted to create a music piece that I could relax to and show my appreciation to the game and Nobuo Uematsu himself as a composer. This piece is very haunting and displays a sad yet uplifting story of the final fantasy world. enjoy!

Name: "en Terra"

Final Fantasy VI re-mix of "Terra"

My Name: Justin R. Durban

Handle: Edgen

web URL: http://www.edgen.com

email: justin@edgen.com

If you need anything else from me, feel free to ask!

-j

justin r. durban

www.edgen.com

This mix has better dynamics than most of the mixes that get posted. You'd be amazed by what wonders some dynamic tinkering will do for a remix. While this remix is largely a series of repetitions of the original, the dynamics and the instrumentation keep it from getting boring.

Well done.

YES

[18:45:19] <Gray> when something is so overmixed like this, something new is expected

[18:45:24] <Gray> i don't know :P

[18:45:29] <Prot> me either :P

So yea, I agree here. Looking for something new with terra mixes. Nevertheless, this is not the only reasoning here. I don't really see much merit in this song. Its pretty much the original song with a lot of layered instruments playing virtually the same notes and chords again and again for 5 minutes.

Yea, the samples sound great, no theres no real arrangement merit here.

NO

<Gray> when something is so overmixed like this, something new is expected

Very nice sounds. VERY nice dynamics. I'm torn. It DOES have some of the best dynamics of any piece on this site, but it lacks a lot of compositional innovation. I'm going to have to come back to this, and hope that everyone else voted before I do, so that I can relieve myself of responsibility.

D

This one is tricky. On its own merit it's a nice mix. My problem is there are a million versions of this mix. So when a Terra mix is made, much less yet another orchestral version of it, I expect something new brought to the table.

I do enjoy justin's style and orchestration, but considering this mix has been done to death, I think it's fair to have higher expectations.

Great build up though.

Also there's quite a lot of recording problems with clicks/pops. Such as at 1:41, 2:32, 2:40. It really isn't an issue, but if you weren't aware of it, it is worth mentioning.

More arrangement and additions like your Halo Ruined Desert mix would have made this shine.

Borderline No

Eh. Same notes, predictable build-up, uneven mixing. This does not have many parts for a full orchestration, and what's there is made bland by inattention to placement. The samples are of course nice, but they're not so amazing as to carry this rather watered down arrangement. In fact, if they were of any less quality, I'm sure this would be an easy rejection. And the clicks and pops that Gray mentions are inexusable.

NO

It would be nice to have a version that didn't have the clicks and pops, and a bit more balancing at the louder parts, but I find that this song effectively uses dynamic contrast and subtle harmonic juxtapositions to elicit a very stirring, melodramatic film score feel. Every song shines in one way or another, and like it has been said, this one shines brightly through its attention to volume and expression. The uber-low, subtle frequencies are the kicker for me. With the right subwoofer, it shakes the house down, and gives that real eerie, vibration feeling in your gut. I'd say this expands upon the original sufficiently, and the sheer emotional expression that it eminates makes it a worthwhile OCR bandwidth hog.

Nice work.

YES

-D

This is a very difficult decision for me. This sounds very good and big (on my speakers anyway) because of the powerful low frequency content. The sound is dynamic and I found the piece to be very expressive. However there is the issue that this song has been mixed many times over, and there are quite a few clicks in the mix. It is no surprise to me that this has split the panel.

I'm going to vote NO, because as it stands, for such a quality sounding mix to have clicks in it is bad, so it could not be posted in it's present form.