Leona Lewis in FF XIII OST? What do you think?

Malaki-LEGEND.sys

I have to wonder whether the composer made the decision, or if was PR and marketing, because I can't really see Hamauzu making that kind of call.

me neither. and I was pretty happy Hamauzu was going to compose. FFXIII just keeps sounding worse and worse. I'm still going to play it though, that's square's brainwashing in effect.

hmm I dunno about this either, this is just a little weird. The Japanese song sounded like the next logical step in the now long line of Eyes on Me, Melodies of Life, etc. If there were an English version I'd have probably liked it a little more, as it stands I have no idea what it was really "about", but it sounded good, and "at home" with FF.

As for this Leona Lewis song, I don't dislike it, but I'm having a hard time associating it with FF games, maybe that will change when I play the game. Right now I'm gonna say I think I'll be ok as long as we don't get Britney Spears in FFXIV or whatever. The idea that North Americans "wouldn't like" their original song and "needed" something like this is what bothers me, I'm just fine with the original... hmm.

Chocobo theme is pretty epic though, hopefully there isn't too much debate about that!

The game community continues to baffle me. They announce the release to a new Final Fantasy and a bunch of people are pissed about some pop song? Whatever. They already are screwing up the immersiveness for me by including any kind of pop song J-pop or Western.

Alright weeaboos, listen up. Square is trying to make Final Fantasy a truly international product because their sales are down. There aren't enough weabboos to sustain big budget Final Fantasy games. Therefore, they gotta localize the game and make it have broad appeal. Americans aren't used to suddenly hearing J-pop in their movies. So deal. Shitty pop is shitty pop whether in Japanese or English. When the gods offer you a blessing like Final Fantasy, you don't complain.

The game community continues to baffle me. They announce the release to a new Final Fantasy and a bunch of people are pissed about some pop song? Whatever. They already are screwing up the immersiveness for me by including any kind of pop song J-pop or Western.

Alright weeaboos, listen up. Square is trying to make Final Fantasy a truly international product because their sales are down. There aren't enough weabboos to sustain big budget Final Fantasy games. Therefore, they gotta localize the game and make it have broad appeal. Americans aren't used to suddenly hearing J-pop in their movies. So deal. Shitty pop is shitty pop whether in Japanese or English. When the gods offer you a blessing like Final Fantasy, you don't complain.

QFE spaceball.gif

I don't think anyone's saying they're not gonna buy it or that they're not excited about it(although after this kind of wait, I really couldn't care less about the release date anymore). It just seems lazy/tacky. If the consensus is to keep the jpop song out 'cause it's shitty, then do that. If you really think that you need to pander to someone's ethnocentrism, well I wouldn't be too happy about that, but go ahead. And as it was pointed out before, the song was written specifically for the game, whereas this is just an insert. It's no different from your standard popcorn n' special effects movie soundtrack.

This is just a pretty lame move and I expected a bit more from SE is all. I don't really see how this is going to attract any new players since the demographic Leona Lewis caters to probably isn't prone to play video games in the first place.

Changing the song isn't going to automatically make it any less of a "shitty JRPG".

I'm just waiting for KB to pop in here and laugh in my face.

I like what KH did actually. It helps that the pop songs themselves were actually really beautiful songs to begin with (this coming from a person who genuinely despises most - but not all, but most - pop music... speaking of, both songs for FF13 really just don't strike my fancy in any way) but they also adapted the lyrics of the same song for English and Japanese versions for their respective audiences.

Square is dead to me. They totally pissed on their integrity five or six years ago when they started putting girly pop music in their games and making all of their characters into blonde girly-men.

Then why do you care enough here to post at all?

I still don't understand what the problem here is. I think its actually pretty cool a major recording star was willing to do this for Final Fantasy. I don't even remember the last time when a vocal track and lyrics fully matched up and justified a game anyway - whats this VS another?

And for those who complain what a corporate product FF has become; get over it. Its ALWAYS been a product. Thats what a game is. Things change. Final Fantasy changes. The world somehow continues on.

Enjoy it for what it is instead of what its supposed to be. :)

Hell no. Some of the best songs I've heard in the last couple of years have been these vocal tracks. Baten Kaitos Origins, Chrono Cross, Xenosagas I-III, Xenogears, FFIX, La Pucelle Tactics, Suikoden III... the list goes on.

And let me tell you something. You haven't CHILLED until you've chilled to the "Silent" version of Melodies of Life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGImr9HKbN4.

You can't tell me these tracks don't add something to the experience.