Leona Lewis in FF XIII OST? What do you think?

Malaki-LEGEND.sys

after seeing the huge ammount of new content for the ps3 version of tales of vesperia *only out in japan at the moment* that the 360 version owners are completely screwed out of, a simple song change really doesnt affect me what so ever

$%^#%^*&$%&*%^$%

luckily I have a ps3 but fuck's sakes I already bought the 360 version :(

Hell no. Some of the best songs I've heard in the last couple of years have been these vocal tracks. Baten Kaitos Origins, Chrono Cross, Xenosagas I-III, Xenogears, FFIX, La Pucelle Tactics, Suikoden III... the list goes on.

And let me tell you something. You haven't CHILLED until you've chilled to the "Silent" version of Melodies of Life.

Not all those tracks are pop. The vocal tracks I know from La Pucelle Tactics and Suikoden III aren't pop.

I just decided to pop in here and...

Curiously besides Final Fantasy what other "jrpgs" have you all played that made them different and memorable?

Persona 2: Innocent Sin.

You can hand over the medal anytime you like.

When the gods offer you a blessing like Final Fantasy, you don't complain.

I didn't used to. Then I bought and played IX. Then X. I'm really hoping I wasn't foolish in buying XII, but based upon recent history I can't be certain.

Anyway, I'm going to give every game a fair shake. I suppose most everyone else here will do the same. But, for the next FF, as my magic eight-ball puts it, "outlook not so good".

I'm just waiting for KB to pop in here and laugh in my face.

HahahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!! In your face!

That'll be five dollars.

Also, I'm not excited. ...and even if the song was written for the game, it still sucks.

PS: I'm not arguing with you, just laughing at you. For the money.

yea its pretty dumb

whats worse is that we dont know if it is coming outside of japan at all

Probably due to the fact that Namco doesn't really bother with its own localization jobs half the time. If it's coming to the PS3 stateside, because of the system changeover they might have to hire different voice actors. And that means redoing the whole game's script again.

It might just not be financially doable.

Not all those tracks are pop. The vocal tracks I know from La Pucelle Tactics and Suikoden III aren't pop.

Are you talking about this?

That is as straight up J-pop ballad as ever I can remember hearing. Suikoden III you're right about. I'm just saying don't say these tracks don't add to the experience, because Melodies of Life and Radical Dreamers and this one all MAKE the ending experience for me at the very least.

You also can't tell me Suikoden III's opening wasn't one of the most badass things you've ever seen when it you saw it for the first time. :)

Hell no. Some of the best songs I've heard in the last couple of years have been these vocal tracks. Baten Kaitos Origins, Chrono Cross, Xenosagas I-III, Xenogears, FFIX, La Pucelle Tactics, Suikoden III... the list goes on.

And let me tell you something. You haven't CHILLED until you've chilled to the "Silent" version of Melodies of Life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGImr9HKbN4.

You can't tell me these tracks don't add something to the experience.

I don't like the style of much of the vocal songs in games, as I'm not a fan of J-pop or music sung in japanese (oh I can see the hate posts coming) and what not. but of course, there are exceptions.

I quite like "Melodies of Life", "Radical Dreamers" and the orchestral version of "1000 words".

Anyone that does is a Japanofag and can shut it. Language is not the deciding factor of if you enjoy it or not.

It can be.

I prefer songs with lyrics I don't understand. It makes the voice more like an instrument, and less like plain talking. Instrumental is still better, though.

Probably due to the fact that Namco doesn't really bother with its own localization jobs half the time. If it's coming to the PS3 stateside, because of the system changeover they might have to hire different voice actors. And that means redoing the whole game's script again.

It might just not be financially doable.

they didnt have to change va's for eternal sonata so i dont think thats it

Liking a song only because OMGJAPAN is kind of dumb.

i like how a lot of people are like *not saying thats the case on this forum just in general* "oh i like songs in a foreign language over english" yet they only listen to japanese songs and hate any song in any other foreign language

they didnt have to change va's for eternal sonata so i dont think thats it

i like how a lot of people are like *not saying thats the case on this forum just in general* "oh i like songs in a foreign language over english" yet they only listen to japanese songs and hate any song in any other foreign language

It's interesting that this moment as I read your post, I have a Chinese song playing.

Not everyone falls into your prejudged categories.

Did you by chance read the portion in the asterisks, or did you skip that part?

Just because you covered your ass doesn't mean I don't get to make a counterexample.

Edit: If I hadn't responded, my non-response could be read as an acknowledgement that I DID fit into your category of people who claim to listen to various foreign music but actually only listen to Japanese music. I guess you could say I wanted to cover my own ass as well.

You ought to scale back the vitriol.

I'm hovering around a 7.5 now, maybe a 6.5?

But really, he shouldn't have to (even half-jokingly) worry about people complaining that he doesn't like Japanese language music. I find a lot of the people that do are exactly that: Japanophiles that refuse to think that maybe, just maybe, people don't like Japanese stuff. God help you if they think you're even a bit against Glorious Nippon and its many wonderful things.

I'm hovering around a 7.5 now, maybe a 6.5?

But really, he shouldn't have to (even half-jokingly) worry about people complaining that he doesn't like Japanese language music. I find a lot of the people that do are exactly that: Japanophiles that refuse to think that maybe, just maybe, people don't like Japanese stuff. God help you if they think you're even a bit against Glorious Nippon and its many wonderful things.

Having lived there for three years, yeah I am not too keen on Japanese things.

There are Japanese things I like, like capsule, Gundam: Bonds of the Battlefield, Spicy Miso Ramen, and half-naked anime statuettes. But really, if that fuckstick Tetsuyo Nomura wants it in his game, he is gonna put it in his game.

Now as far as purism goes between Japanese and English versions go, I though we got to the point where Japan didn't care to translate over things anymore. I mean that is why most animes have thier original opening and endings(unless you are a 4Kids Anime).

Also, I have never heard of the english artist before in my life.

This needs more Aquabats...

I find a lot of the people that do are exactly that: Japanophiles that refuse to think that maybe, just maybe, people don't like Japanese stuff. God help you if they think you're even a bit against Glorious Nippon and its many wonderful things.

They're bitter over alterations like this and blame you as part of the reason they happen.

But there are ethnocentric assholes out there too you know. America is God's country, everything great is American, "What's this ching chang chong shit, we live in America!", and all that jazz. I just think it's crazy that the US can send all its shit out into the commercial world, yet there are idiots who will never even consider giving other cultures a shot at sharing back.

Who was the last non-English/Spanish speaking artist to really hit it big stateside?

I thought about Rammstein, but then considered they might be too underground, have they ever been a chart topper here?

Tatu was pretty big waay back when.

And then, those two do use English on top of their native language.

Are you talking about this?

That is as straight up J-pop ballad as ever I can remember hearing. Suikoden III you're right about. I'm just saying don't say these tracks don't add to the experience, because Melodies of Life and Radical Dreamers and this one all MAKE the ending experience for me at the very least.

You also can't tell me Suikoden III's opening wasn't one of the most badass things you've ever seen when it you saw it for the first time. :)

There's some song from La Pucelle that I have on my mp3 player called Maiden of Light that sounds more Celtic than J-pop. It isn't the song you linked to obviously.

And yes, I f'ing love the Suikoden III intro.

What I want to know is how important this stupid FF13 song is exactly. Is it just going to be played during the credits like FF12's? It's probably going to be used in promotional materials than anything. I'd be right with you guys if Uematsu had composed the original J-pop song or something. That would've been a huge snub to long-time fans of the series.

Console yourself with the awesome FFXIII battle theme:

the best Final Fantasy battle theme since Don't Be Afraid from FFVIII.

It can be.

I prefer songs with lyrics I don't understand. It makes the voice more like an instrument, and less like plain talking. Instrumental is still better, though.

yes, plus the fact that some languages sound prettier than others when sung. that preference, of course, is each listener's taste, obviously. for instance, I don't like japanese or my own language, portuguese, when sung, but I do like sung english and norwegian. it has nothing to do with nationality, but with the sound, considering the voice and the phonetics as an instrument and its articulation.

yes, plus the fact that some languages sound prettier than others when sung. that preference, of course, is each listener's taste, obviously. for instance, I don't like japanese or my own language, portuguese, when sung, but I do like sung english and norwegian. it has nothing to do with nationality, but with the sound, considering the voice and the phonetics as an instrument and its articulation.

Wat.

Portuguese is the best singing language. :(