Leona Lewis in FF XIII OST? What do you think?

Malaki-LEGEND.sys

I'm not specifically opposed to her doing the theme song -- I'm opposed to her not writing a new song specifically for the game. Substituting an old licensed track for an original piece in what is arguably the most important franchise where VGM is concerned doesn't send a good message, and I don't approve of it.

I'm not specifically opposed to her doing the theme song -- I'm opposed to her not writing a new song specifically for the game. Substituting an old licensed track for an original piece in what is arguably the most important franchise where VGM is concerned doesn't send a good message, and I don't approve of it.

This I can agree with this, makes me hope they leave the old track out of the official sound track release.

holyshitwhat.jpg

Maybe paying her to sing a new song is *sarcasm* WAY TOO EXPENSIVE *ahem*. It sounds more like a decision taken in the last minute and/or like a decision taken DRUNK. LOL

It's a weird decision, but I still don't get the real problem with this. The way I see it, its a step closer to VGM being taken seriously on the same level as music done by internationally known artists.

I'm not going to justify that argument in any way, that's just my opinion. I want to see what ends up happening with it before I start crying fowls on it.

Music over in Japan is expensive anyway. Add all those costs for import and whatever they have to to cover bootlegging losses and shit and that's kinda why...

among other reasons I'm sure.

It gets worse when they make additional stuff for it like specialized jackets/case/tin whatever they'd want to showcase them.

Oddly enough some publishers like Atlus throw them in like freebies or for just an extra $5 or so such as with Demons Souls, Persona 4, Disgaea and so on.

Mods can merge the threads when they feel like it.

I get what Meteo's saying about this being a good thing in that it's an attempt to appeal to the popular music audience (the "serious" music industry in the "real world"), unfortunately that wasn't done far earlier in the process, as with a song written specifically for the game. Bardic already touched on this.

It's akin to making a game about a viking exploring Europe and North America, but to appeal to the african-american population they re-skin and re-voice the protagonist. While funny and a possibly satirical take on certain tendencies in Hollywood (if done for that reason), I hope supposedly serious games would stay away from this kind of cheap marketing schemes.

We are gonna be seeing a lot more like this tho. At least with the big titles.

I don't have to be a huge fan of the Final Fantasy games to feel that this is a really dumb idea. And I don't see how this is "a step closer to VGM being taken seriously on the same level as music done by internationally known artists." as 'My Hands' is not VG music. It wasn't written for the game. As far as I'm concerned, Square Enix is just trying to use the song in some weird attempt to appeal to... well, I don't even know. Leona Lewis fans.

But anyway, that's the way it's going to be.

I honestly couldn't get very far into the trailer, I hated it.

I've always admired the Final Fantasy series, but this trailer, and the dialog (the voices sound pretty good), just sound horrid.

I really think Square needs to re-evaluate this series, I'm doubting whether or not they'll recoup the amount of money they took to make it.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a hater, I'm just being pessimistic with this one....

Well it might take another "Spirits Within" scenario to make them realize they are retarded.

Somehow I don't think they will.

If you let the trailer play while not looking at the screen, you'd swear you were listening to a horrible Sci-Fi Channel movie (oops, SyFy, horrid name).

And I'm sure the fanboy journalists will spin the (possibly) weak sales as something good if they turn out to be bad.

For example, this new FF came out, and obviously, in it's first week, it's number one on the sales charts, that's an absolute no brainer, that's a lot of fans getting that game. Week 2, it goes down to number 4.

I'd be nervous if I was Square at the moment.

I wonder if these companies are starting to see that putting big risky budgets on these games is a good idea anymore. And from what REAL analysts have been saying (ones that aren't like Michael Pachter), 2011 isn't going to be a very great year for games, especially with game companies folding, or downsizing late last year and more than likely this year...

All I know is I played FFIV: The After Years and it somehow defied all odds and ended up being EXACTLY the FFIV sequel I waited 17 long years for, so I cannot lose faith in Square.

A bad trailer means nothing. A few bad snapshots does not the ruin the album no matter how much of a fanboy you get to be. Wait until it comes out and you get done playing it before you call it a disaster.

All I know is I played FFIV: The After Years and it somehow defied all odds and ended up being EXACTLY the FFIV sequel I waited 17 long years for, so I cannot lose faith in Square.

A bad trailer means nothing. A few bad snapshots does not the ruin the album no matter how much of a fanboy you get to be. Wait until it comes out and you get done playing it before you call it a disaster.

Easy there, I never said it was going to be, I said it might be possible it won't be good, or not do as well, that doesn't mean it won't sell like a ton.

I only think something is amiss with this one, something is just, off. It's probably the Leona Lewis track playing, or the dialog.

But since I've not really played any Final Fantasy games (let alone much interest), since VII, and IV (on the DS respectively), I'll keep my mouth shut from here on out.

Sorry, didn't mean to rile anyone up.;-)