Sonic the Hedgehog 4

NNY

The only GBA game that focused on speed was Sonic Advance 2. The other ones balanced it out. Heck, the original Sonic Advance could have quite easily been called Sonic 4, and nobody would've complained. It's the closest Sonic Team has gotten to the genesis-style formula.

I guess I just kinda got sick of the idea of making Robotnik playing second fiddle to supernatural monsters who don't really interact with Mr. Sonic.

And as far as the arguement about Robotnik not being as menacing as Bowser, I'd like to point out that you don't get much more evil than kidnapping cute, lil animals and turning them into your robotic slaves. I think they should start with that angle when doing Robotnik or Eggman.

He was somewhat intimidating in SatAM as well, along with his horde of Swatbots. I miss those guys. I've been thinking for a while that it would be cool for a game to bring the Swatbots back, maybe have the story have something to do with a Swatbot rebellion or something.

I hated Sonic advance 2 so much... I never played the others because of it.

It was like watching a game more than playing one.

Lame.

Well, at least until the later stages. Later on it felt like you needed psychic precognition to know what you needed to do to not die. Early on it was "Hold Right, Jump Occasionally" and you can get through stages. Later on you had to be damn near perfect with your jumps and tricks not to fall in a pit and die. I don't mind a challenge, but at the speed you had to move at to even make the jumps? Jeez.

Oh, and for the record, there *were* SwatBots in the BioWare Sonic game. But I can't honestly recommend that game due to the combat mechanics.

Oh, and for the record, there *were* SwatBots in the BioWare Sonic game. But I can't honestly recommend that game due to the combat mechanics.

I didn't realize those were intended to be SwatBots. I can see how the battle system could be considered less than desirable, I don't think it was enough to ruin the game for a fan. What did bother me was the sudden end. Also, no Tikal.

I wonder if I'm the only one here who reads the bona fide Archie Sonic comic.

As someone who once wanted to be a writer (and was directly inspired by the Sonic comics), I take issue with the idea that Sonic cannot/should not have a plot. The stories in SA1 & 2 were good. Ideally, I think the games should adopt plot elements from the comic/TV show (and at one point they nearly did), but unfortunately that's not very realistic.

The only GBA game that focused on speed was Sonic Advance 2. The other ones balanced it out. Heck, the original Sonic Advance could have quite easily been called Sonic 4, and nobody would've complained. It's the closest Sonic Team has gotten to the genesis-style formula.

On that note, I think Sonic Advance 2 had one of the more underappreciated soundtracks in recent memory. In particular, the music for the last 2 zones was pretty good.

If I were a musician, I'd try my hand at remixing some of it, but sadly, nuts to that for now.

I would say that one of the reasons SEGA hasn't used the comics may be because of its large cast. They might think that including a bunch of characters all of a sudden who have pre-existing relationships with the characters of the games out of nowhere would confuse players who aren't familiar with the comics. And they may feel if they limited the new cast appearance it may disappoint fans of the comic series, and therefore decided to avoid the situation altogether.

Another possible reason may be that SEGA Japan feels that Japanese gamers are not familiar with the comic series. This is all just speculation of course.

Personally, I would like to see more of Silver and, especially, Blaze before any Archie comic characters start appearing in games.

I wonder if I'm the only one here who reads the bona fide Archie Sonic comic.

I was for a long time. I lost interest when the art and story reached a point of stupidity which was beyond forgiveness. Ron Lim was not a good artist, and fitting two half asses stories into one comic really didn't work. I think I didn't renew after issue 150 or so. My first ever sonic comic book was issue 35, which I still have. http://archiesonic.wikia.com/wiki/Archie_Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Issue_35

Doesn't one of the comic writers post on the SomethingAwful forums?

J.Axer (one of the better artists) in on Deviantart.

http://jayaxer.deviantart.com/

I always loved the covers by Spaz (http://archive.sonic-hq.net/newsite/comics/images/spaz1.php) His covers will always have a special place in my memory.

I still have all my old Sonic comics. I might pull those out sometime soon to reminisce.

Ah... good times...

I always got excited when Spaz would do the art for an issue's story in addition to the cover. I stopped reading the comics around the time they started adding in the Sonic Adventure game material, including Dr. Eggman opposed to Robotnik. I liked the Knuckles comic series better overall anyway, had more interesting villains and a more coherent storyline (though that first date three parter was crap and probably was what put the nail in the comic's coffin). I'm actually kind of surprised when I find it's still around, and disappointed I missed out on the return of Enerjak storyline.

If anyone from the Archic comic universe were to make it to an actual Sega-endorsed game, I'd want it to be Julie-Su from the Knuckles comics. Not ever going to happen though, which sucks.

If anyone from the Archic comic universe were to make it to an actual Sega-endorsed game, I'd want it to be Julie-Su from the Knuckles comics. Not ever going to happen though, which sucks.

There were appearances from the SatAM characters in Sonic Spinball. I remember that being a huge deal to me as a kid. Even if sonic spinball was terrible, it was almost worth playing just to see them (and the awesome sound effects/music).

Yeah, I used to subscribe to Archie!Sonic for awhile when I was a kid. Started *almost* at the beginning, but I let my subscription cancel out sometime around Issue 55-60. Even as early as then, the comic was heading in a direction I didn't like. Characterization marches on, yes, but Sonic became more emotionally ambiguous (good with some characters, not really with Sonic himself) and they dialed down his smartass attitude. Also made the plot melodramatic and just batshit crazy.

My favorite Sonic issue was probably 25, the Sonic CD issue. Good times.

There were appearances from the SatAM characters in Sonic Spinball. I remember that being a huge deal to me as a kid. Even if sonic spinball was terrible, it was almost worth playing just to see them (and the awesome sound effects/music).

It's been ages since I last played Spinball so I had forgotten that. Seeing them there was a highlight for me as well.

I've been a subscriber to the Archie Sonic comic since I was in kindergarten and I have every issue (#0 - current of the main series), the 48 page super specials, the Tails, Sally and both Knuckles mini-series/series, but not Sonic Universe.

Yeah, the comic was really good up until around issue #100 or so. The stories got crazy and the comic started becoming more and more full of ads. I still get the comic I guess just because it's something I've collected for so long, but usually I just put them away with no interest in reading them. Another thing that turned me off of the comic somewhat was when they started using the Sonic Adventure redesign for Sonic (longer quills, buckled shoes and green eyes). Never sat well with me.

And I have to agree with the Spaz-love. He's the master of drawing Sonic with great detail. I was really excited to see his verion of Cut Man for one of the comic-adaptions of Mega Man that were produced but I've never looked into getting ahold of those. I also liked the way Ken Penders drew Sonic in the early days.

Yeah, the comic was really good up until around issue #100 or so.

And I have to agree with the Spaz-love. He's the master of drawing Sonic with great detail. I was really excited to see his verion of Cut Man for one of the comic-adaptions of Mega Man that were produced but I've never looked into getting ahold of those. I also liked the way Ken Penders drew Sonic in the early days.

I stopped at around Issue 52. I still read them from time to time at a local book store I go to, but I haven't bought a Sonic comic in years.

Sonic and Knuckles Mecha Madness was probably the best in detail for me, especially with Ken and Spaz's work.

Dang, I may just have to go and look at some of those old comics I have now.....:-P

Not to intrude on the Sonic comic lovefest going, but another piece of Needlemouse concept art got posted on the Sega blog.

4309916425ea669c31b9o.jpg

And also, a challenge:

So here’s the challenge: we want you guys to create your own concept art based on your favorite Badniks from the original Sonic games. It can be any Badnik from Sonic 1, 2, 3, Sonic & Knuckles, or any other Sonic games of that era. Pick your favorite(s), draw them up concept art style, and send it our way! (Japanese not required!)

The Challenge: Submit over 100 (total) pieces of Concept Art of your favorite oldschool Badniks to SEGA! Show us which enemies you want to see in Project Needlemouse!

The Reward: If the challenge is met, next week we’ll reveal:

• Project Needlemouse’s Actual Name
  • Concept Art from the first Zone
  • A very cool extra bonus…

If you guys can send in a cumulative total of over 100 pieces of concept art by Monday morning at 10:00 AM, you’re in for a very special treat in the days following. This will be our final community challenge for Project Needlemouse - and it will also be one of the last times we refer to the game by its code name. If you thought the first concept art was cool, then trust us – things are about to get a whole lot more interesting. We will also be updating throughout the week and weekend to let you know how close you are!

Also, this little bit at the end sounds promising.

In closing, some parting thoughts that expand on some comments we made in the last blog:

Speed is something that is not given; but rather earned through dedication. Speed is not found by simply pushing a boost button, but by building momentum. It is the reward for skill in the face of difficult challenges – this kind of speed is the most exhilarating, not only because it is fast, but because of the pure perfection such speed exemplifies. This is the truth of the original Sonic games – and this is the truth of Project Needlemouse.

or maybe they haven't because Scourge The Hedgehog is sort of like Shadow the Hedgehog except even more ridicilously retarded

That's because the character's supposed to be one part Ashura Glitch reference, one part dig against fan-characters that are essentially "just liek Sonic but orange plus faster and smarter and awesomer and cooler!11!"

I can understand people liking Spaz's art (it's too bad all the Mega Man related stuff he did was either canceled or terribly written), but Ken Penders' art? Ugh. Not that it really matters, anyway, since he and a ton of the other staff pre-#160 were either let go or fired and replaced with new artists, colourists, writer and editors. I think only about three of the older artists (Spaz included) were kept on-call.