Sonic the Hedgehog 4

NNY

has anyone else noticed that the running animation in the preview isn't even good? he looks like he's supposed to be walking, and in the preview they didn't even take the time to make a stopping animation for him.

i can't tell if they're trying to get something out quick or just cutting corners because they think people won't notice

This has actually been addressed.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=312594

Q: Is the running animation in the trailer what Sonic's fastest running animation will look like in Sonic the Hedgehog 4? It looks kind of slow, don't you think?

A: Actually, it is not his fastest speed! There is a faster animation for Sonic's running that was not shown in the trailer, and is more akin to what you might be familiar seeing from Sonic 3 & Knuckles or Sonic CD.

This is so weird.....Sega's actually listening to us....

If you accept calling Dr. Robotnik as "Eggman" because it was his original Japanese name, then you must also accept that Ozzie, Flea, and Slash in Chrono Trigger are called Vinegar, Soysau, and Mayonnai.

I actually don't mind either name myself and have been known to use them interchangeably. I was just prodding to see if anyone would get their panties in a twist over the whole Robotnik vs Eggman thing. Fortunately or unfortunately noone did :-P

For the time being I'm not really following this new game very closely though, maybe later when more info comes out. The retro badnik designs are pretty neat though.

If you accept calling Dr. Robotnik as "Eggman" because it was his original Japanese name, then you must also accept that Ozzie, Flea, and Slash in Chrono Trigger are called Vinegar, Soysau, and Mayonnai.

I accept it as Eggman because character names don't matter at all. As long as we don't get creepy ass Eggbotnik from Sonik 2K6, it's all good.

I swear, 2D sonic fans are worse than the 3D bunch. At least the newer bunch can be hilarious in their depravity. The older dudes are just annoying and never satisfied with anything.

I swear, 2D sonic fans are worse than the 3D bunch. At least the newer bunch can be hilarious in their depravity. The older dudes are just annoying and never satisfied with anything.

I heard that!!! (Pokes cane, raises fist in the air)

In all seriousness though, I don't care about the name. Never really bothered me, I just thought it sounded silly.

The only thing I'm concerned about, is that Sega thinks we play Sonic for story, since when?

You know why I like Mario platformers, and Old School Sonic? They don't have a lot of story, and they don't need it. Any idiot that thinks it's a necessity for them to have cut-scenes between EVERY stage needs to play something else.

Granted, I still have a lot of love for Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, and even Sonic Heroes, but since then, nothing has been right with the games, at least to me, and the thousands of others still giving Sonic a chance...

I call myself Bleck! So do others I know! This does not, however, mean it is my real name!

"Bleck" is an inoffensive nickname that you (presumably) chose for yourself!

"Eggman" is an insulting nickname, made up by the other characters, to which Robotnik was shown to take offence!

Sonic the Hedgehog is not Gunnery Sergeant Hartman! People are not obligated to identify themselves by whatever derogatory sobriquets he comes up with!

I too like to end sentences with exclamation marks!

I always liked Robotnik/badnik because of the slavic ancestry it implied. The Russian/klezmer roots of his boss theme in Sonic 2 seemed to corroborate it. Put the release of the early Sonic games in the context of the crumbling USSR and it's apparent that communists like to turn peaceful woodland creatures into mechanical automatons under the direction of a tyrant.

Who apparently needed to find a bunch of powerful gems or crystals, but that could have just been a response to Final Fantasy.

New thing or not, whether it's the right thing is still to be determined.

This. Everything can bitch and speculate (myself included) but we won't know exactly how it will all pan out until it is released.

Though it'll still happen, because Sonic is one of the top rated in the "Unpleasant Fanbase" category.

I can't really find a word to describe how excited I am for this. I tend to give people and game companies too many chances to get things right, but something just feels right about this game, or maybe some things.

I'll have to get xbox live to download this when it comes out, right?

Those titles aren't pure 2D, nor are they HD. The developers for BlazBlue and SSF2T HD Remix have both said how unbelievably time-consuming and expensive it is to produce HD sprites. Now factor in that Sonic would require exponentially more sprites than a fighting game given the size and scope of the levels.

My point is that it's not "oh I'd pay $5 more for HD sprites", it's on a completely different scale entirely in terms of difficulty and cost.

Going back to this, how is murasama not "pure 2d"? I didn't see a single polygon in that game, maybe the effects weren't 2d sprites but certainly not 3d.

Also I don't see how it would be "unbelievably more expensive" to produce hd sprites to sd sprites. They're just drawings, and the artists just have to make their initial drawings bigger, which I think that they do now anyways to later scale them down for the sprites. Making a big drawing is more time consuming than a smaller drawing? why yes, but I don't think the difference would be so huge, as i said they're just drawings after all.

Making a big drawing is more time consuming than a smaller drawing? why yes, but I don't think the difference would be so huge, as i said they're just drawings after all.

I'd agree in theory, but we've seen the bitching happen during development of SF HD Remix, albeit in hyper-sensitive fashion. Smaller sprites would be much more forgiving, but when every tiny detail is apparent in an HD sprite, even if you're off by a 10th of an inch when animated, people would notice. I can imagine a lot more effort to get it right, from the get-go. Granted, in the case of SFHDR, they had to match up with the old sprites and hitboxes; in a new game with new animation (such as BlazBlue), there'd be less pressure.