Sonic the Hedgehog 4

NNY

Yup, I am, I just changed my username. And yeah, a lot of it looked off at first, but going back to the old ones, this is way closer to how it should be. It's the newer ones that messed that up.

You likeh makin my life harder, eh?

Anywas (sounds like a car company), I liked the gameplay footage. Not commenting on physics, cuz I liked NSMBW. xD

especially since the game LOOKS like it's made by the team that did Sonic Rush...

This would not be a good thing. Sonic Rush was easily as bad as Sonic Heroes. Where the latter was bad because of bugs and a horrible basic concept, the former was terrible because the whole game just constantly forced you to either go at mario speeds or play through twice to memorize all the random "HAHA GOTCHA" moments they threw in.

I was afraid of getting on a spring because I knew it had a 50% chance of launching me at Mach Fuck straight into a baddie that wasn't visible and I couldn't avoid.

Sonic Rush was terrible because the whole game just constantly forced you to either go at mario speeds or play through twice to memorize all the random "HAHA GOTCHA" moments they threw in.

hey wow that sounds like a few other sonic games I know (all of them)

This would not be a good thing. Sonic Rush was easily as bad as Sonic Heroes. Where the latter was bad because of bugs and a horrible basic concept, the former was terrible because the whole game just constantly forced you to either go at mario speeds or play through twice to memorize all the random "HAHA GOTCHA" moments they threw in.

Goddamnit, that is the entire point of Sonic Rush. It is a speed run game. You're supposed to memorize the level layouts and blow through them as quickly as possible. The entire meta-game revolves around figuring out the absolute fastest way to get to the end without getting hit once. Don't call the game terrible just because you don't get it.

Memorize the goddamn levels.

Honestly, I mostly liked the Sonic Rush games for their soundtracks. I liked the whole Jet Grind Radio music thing going on throughout the whole thing.

The speed thing was pretty good too, and not all that difficult to get the hang of. If you hit a random enemy off screen, its not like it would be a death unless you had no rings.

That's, I think, one of the beauties of sonic games. As long as you have at least one ring, you're invincible essentially. Not like that plumber fellow who dies if he hasn't eaten enough vegetation...:lol:

I was afraid of getting on a spring because I knew it had a 50% chance of launching me at Mach Fuck straight into a baddie that wasn't visible and I couldn't avoid.

You're criticizing Rush for that? Hell, Rush was downright generous about this kind of stuff compared to Sonic Advance 2. The "Gotcha" moments weren't really bad until like, the very end of the game and even then they weren't *that* cheap.

You're criticizing Rush for that? Hell, Rush was downright generous about this kind of stuff compared to Sonic Advance 2. The "Gotcha" moments weren't really bad until like, the very end of the game and even then they weren't *that* cheap.

I dunno, I liked Sonic Rush, but I think it had more of those moments and much more unforgiving than any of the other games, take those out and it would probably have been (even) better.

The more I think about it, if any of the other 2d games I've played had them they must have been much more forgiving (easy to avoid on first encounter). Because up till rush, and the wind levels of SADV2 the only thing I ever dreaded was the zones with water cause the need to hunt down bubbles or get out quickly doesn't really mix well with my tendency to have anxiety problems.

I find it ironic you guys are complaining about having to memorize level designs in sonic games... I mean isn't that the point? You memorize the levels so you can speed through them later.

Its almost as if you guys would rather speed through all the levels first time and don't want a challenge from the sonic games at all...

Its almost as if you guys would rather speed through all the levels first time and don't want a challenge from the sonic games at all...

games should be designed to be fun from the get go

the whole 'you're supposed to memorize it' bullshit is just sonic fans in denial about how bad most sonic games are

I find it ironic you guys are complaining about having to memorize level designs in sonic games... I mean isn't that the point? You memorize the levels so you can speed through them later.

I don't really expect this, cause I can say to this day I still don't "speed through" some of the levels in the older sonic games, even though by now I know the layout for Sonic and Sonic 2 levels, (I didn't play S3&K till highschool so some of the later levels I don't really know but it's very fun to play, many deaths and all). I still dread falling in the water, even though at least in Sonic 2 and even Rush I know how to avoid it or get out quickly.

Whereas I used to do speed runs alot in Rush to pass the time, but got bored of it eventually. (Yeah ok I got almost all the levels to at least an A and I lost interest in getting all S's so I have no desire to play anymore). I just think the game while good uses gotchyas as a bit of a crutch for level design.

Sonic level designs used to bother the shit out of me because I could never tell if I was back-tracking or going down the right route or anything. Something about those huge levels, up and down, and so many identical sections used to really fuck with my cognition.

I never really had problems finding the end of a level.

Sonic 1, 2 & CD designs were pretty basic: you start in one place, it branches off into 2 or 3 different routes, then they come back together for either the end post or the boss. It wasn't "move right to win," but you were pretty much only moving that direction--occasionally to the left.

Sonic 3 & K mixed it up a bit by having larger levels and more exploration, especially vertically. But it was still always fun & innovative to me.

And as far as memorization goes, I never had a problem with it. It isn't like "bullet hell" games or, *ahem,* certain NES games where you have to first move this way then that with utmost precision.

It was more like a guideline; there was always a lot of freedom. Like they said, speed is a reward.

It was actually fun for me to memorize the location of every continue post in Sonic 2, then the Special Stages, so I could get Super Sonic by Aquatic Ruins (Zone 3) Act 2 :wink:

Edit: cobaltstarfire: I used to be scared shitless of the water levels as a young kid too. Looking back on it now though, I laugh.

Edit2: Bleck: Some people like "bullet hell" games too, but not me. I guess we each have our own tolerances...

Some people like "bullet hell" games too, but not me. I guess we each have our own tolerances...

Bullet hell games aren't side-scrolling platformers - the difference being that one is about memorization and challenge whereas the other is only about those two things if you're using them to convince yourself that the game you're playing is actually good.

There are a dozen good ways to make a platformer based primarily on high speed - making it so you spend half of the time not going fast is not one of them.

Bullet hell games aren't side-scrolling platformers - the difference being that one is about memorization and challenge whereas the other is only about those two things if you're using them to convince yourself that the game you're playing is actually good.

There are a dozen good ways to make a platformer based primarily on high speed - making it so you spend half of the time not going fast is not one of them.

Ok we get the point you don't like sonic games, and you think anyone who does is silly.

I don't care if you don't like sonic games, but you saying over and over again that they are bad unfun games for you isn't going to change that they are enjoyable games designs for me or other people who enjoy playing them.

(Also most people stop playing hopscotch before like...2nd grade dude :-P)