OCR Meetup: Las Vegas, August 2010: **PICS PAGE 43-44**

Monobrow

I am in Grande Prairie, Alberta. I'm an hour from the BC border, and about 14h from Vancouver. I was planning on flying down, hopefully catching a seat sale on Westjet.

Anyone carpooling from the NW/BC?

Wasn't planning on driving initially, but I do have from the 1st to the 13th free, and driving the west coast is a recommended excursion apparently. But then I do have to be back home by the 13th, so I would have to leave earlier in the week for sure if I am doing some driving. If someone else was driving, I could fly home.

Where are you at Abadoss? What dates are you working with and are you looking to fill your vehicle, or get in someone elses?

I am in Grande Prairie, Alberta. I'm an hour from the BC border, and about 14h from Vancouver. I was planning on flying down, hopefully catching a seat sale on Westjet.

Wasn't planning on driving initially, but I do have from the 1st to the 13th free, and driving the west coast is a recommended excursion apparently. But then I do have to be back home by the 13th, so I would have to leave earlier in the week for sure if I am doing some driving. If someone else was driving, I could fly home.

Where are you at Abadoss? What dates are you working with and are you looking to fill your vehicle, or get in someone elses?

I'm in Portland, OR. I'm hoping to be a dead-weight in someone's car. Probably chip in for gas, but I don't have a license, so I can't drive. Frankly, I'll work with whatever dates I can.

I'm from Canada as well and I definitely plan to fly as well. For me though it's possibly cheaper to fly from Victoria to Seattle than it is to travel to Vancouver to fly from there.

Also, I would have to share a room with someone as I am extremely poor and probably can't afford my own accomodations by myself...I'll just have to see how much money I can have saved by the meetup date...but it isn't likely I'll have a whole lot.

I already offered that you don't have to stay in a hotel if you're tight on money. We actually got a 2 bedroom now so there is much more room then we thought we'd have for this meet-up. We don't know yet how many people are staying with us 'cos it's too early to tell, but just save your money and don't buy any extra things if you really want to go. That advice goes to everyone as well.

I'll keep you informed of my plans to get down there. I think it is pretty safe to say I'll be catching one of the frequent last minute seat sales to vegas via Westjet, but who knows. I might have a Prius or something by august, and that would require a road trip of this magnitude. Plus I'd score some vehicle cred once we get there ;-)

EDIT: The more I think of this, the more I am pumped to meet you folks.

Yeah we got the 2010, and actually got it with Cash for Clunkers (traded in an old Volvo)... We actually got it before C4C became available, about a week or two before, the dealership gave us the deal early so that we could go on a huge roadtrip from AZ thru Cali to Seattle.

Also we haven't really had any of those problems that everyone is going crazy about, or actually we have "mildly" experienced them and kind of think they are way overblown. We can reproduce the bug, but it's really pretty insignificant. We haven't taken ours in yet for the "fix" because we believe that the fix actually diminishes the efficiency of the Prius... Honestly I think people are overreacting big time.

I highly recommend them, driving has been so awesome. The hatchback is also awesome, we've slept in the back on an air mattress many times during travel :J.

The dash seems really strange at first but you get used to it... And believe me the money you save on gas is great.

That's the way to do it, just drop it all in one shot.

I did a bit of poking around, and according to the US vs Canadian Toyota websites, I could get a Prius V with the best option package and a few extras in the States for about 3000 less than a prius III with a lower option package here in Canada. Our dollars are almost even, but it sure doesn't reflect in the prices. If I do decide to bit the bullet and buy new, I might fly down, buy American, and drive back. Its a few hours of paperwork to import, and the 200$ RIV fee, but I could save my self an assload, especially if I was able to talk the price down closer to invoice pricing.

That is a huge amount of money though, lol, and I still have one year of school left. Maybe I'll wait one more year...

• 2 weeks later...

Well JaDE, if you manage to still have space available I can bus down there then and just stay with you guys for the duration of the trip, it'll help me out then because I won't have to worry about getting a ride back because I can just get another bus ticket. I hope there's a bus station near the strip or near where ya'll will be living O_o...it sux that I can't drive...

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, folks. It's getting to the time where we should start booking the hotels and flights and whatnot.

I'll probably be flying out Saturday, getting to Las Vegas a bit after five (if I book the flight I'm looking at). I'd like to ask bLiNd and Jade if I can stay with them for that Saturday night (and if they'd pick me up from the airport ^_^). I'll plan on staying at the hotel we choose from Sunday night through Wednesday night, and I'll fly back on Thursday. I'm not sure about roomshare but I know I'll be traveling solo this trip, so I'm open to the idea.

Are we settled on a hotel yet?

My hotel suggestion is the Flamingo.

It might be 5-10 dollars more a night then Imperial Palace.

Here is my reasoning.

1. The pool. The Imperial Palace pool sucks really bad, and it closes early (about 5-6pm). Flamingo Pool however is open until 8pm, and their hot tub is open all night from what I understand. Basically it's an all-night pool if you are discreet enough about it.

2. Location: Flamingo is right in the middle of the strip. It's actually pretty much right next to Imperial Palace in location, so we wouldn't lose anything there.

3. It's often rated as a 4 star hotel, which is a step up from Imperial Palace. For the price, that's well worth it to me. Having stayed at the Imperial Palace 3 times now, I'm up for a better hotel, and a different experience.

4. Again, the pool. It will be August, it will be HOT. For those that think they won't want to go swimming, I guarantee you will. And there is nothing worse than being hot and wanting to swim when your pool closes early. You can attempt to sneak into other hotel pools, but it's VERY hard nowadays, and you have to walk a mile to get to them, in the hot sun *_*. Not to mention, the pool looks like this:

Flamingo-pool.JPG

For the price, I'm sold.

5. Flamingo is an easy to find hotel, you can't miss it. It also smells nice. Anyway, there are only about two other choices for hotels that are ON the strip, and I think this is our best bet.

i'm going to start saving about 50 or more a paycheck starting this month...I hope to have enough by the time August rolls around to bus down there...I'm not sure I'll have enough for a hotel by then sadly...but the only way I'd be able to save more money would be to cut away internet, phone, and cigarettes, plus move back in with my parents...all things I can't do. So we'll just see, if not, well, I'll have other opportunities I hope. I'll confirm whether I'm coming or not for sure by July...