OCR Meetup: Las Vegas, August 2010: **PICS PAGE 43-44**

Monobrow

Hypothetically, I'm sure there are people that could pick you up (as long as I could find the airport, I could pick you up).

There are people looking for roommates that could possibly provide you with a space, if you ask around. I'm keeping an ear open for people staying the entire time, myself, but if I don't find one I'd be more than happy to provide.

Well, Ari and I will have a car, as well as a few other people, so that is covered. As far as a place to crash, there are several people who are looking for roomates or just haven't made the plans yet. If you split a room 4 ways for a couple days, you are looking at 20-40 bucks total for a room.

So yeah, it would be completely feasible.

I have some suggestions for stuff to do.

Piano bar

karaoke

barbecue

go drinking

dance dance revolution (I have a red-octane afterburner I can drag with me to Jordan's house, yes it's a metal pad). There are some bowling alleys with pool and ddr and stuff (and cosmic bowling if anyone is into that sort of thing).

As far as shows go the one that is extremely good is Blue Man Group. I haven't really been to that many. The Luxor Hotel has a few motion rides that are pretty cheap and other fun things to do. There is some go cart racing in town. Besides that I can't think of a whole lot to do around here.

If anyone needs to find a good restaurant I can probably name a few (though they're mostly off the strip), Thai food, Italian, etc. One place we could possibly meet up is Buca Da Beppo. Probably the best Italian restaurant in town, serves family style (portions serve 4-6), inexpensive, and they often accommodate very large parties.

I have an acoustic guitar, a drumset (although awful sounding) and some keyboards. I also have a 2 channel mixer, Shure mic, and some cables (I can hookup karaoke to youtube from my laptop and a tv if need be). Also I got quite a few pop style sheet music song books for guitar/piano/vocals.

Unfortunately I'll probably be working through most of the meetup. If I join up it will have to be after 4:00 or on the weekend.

I would keep outdoor activities limited unless Jordan has an outdoor climate control system. We've had some hot weather lately.

Yeah, it's really hot out here for your average out-of-towner so swimming is fantastic, but anything else outside is probably best done at night. Karaoke is great, dollar blackjack at the Sahara is fun, especially when you're getting free drinks, barbecues might have to planned if you're doing them at a park, and you have to ask them if you plan on bringing alcohol unless you make it obscure I suppose. If we go the park I'd be down to set up some slacklines which are basically like tight ropes but they wobble quite a bit if anyone wants to try that.

I mean, the heat isn't so bad if you're dressed light and stick to the shade -- maybe hang at the park, but yeah, it'll probably be too hot for anyone sporting a monitor tan.

Also, I can guide a small group of 5-10 around Red Rock at night if anyone were interested in that (it's a sight to see, and definitely an under-looked aspect of Vegas), but unfortunately you aren't allowed to start fires out there to make Smore's or something unless you want to risk getting a hefty fine -- though I have done so before a of couple times.

Sounds great, we will look into parks soon, if only for just the one party (the big birthday one so we can all do the cake etc.)

That italian place sounds awesome too. The better the food, and the cheaper it is, the better for us. So by all means, suggestions are welcome.

As far as shows go, I've seen:

Cirque du soleil (Zumanity)

Bodies (Luxor)

Blue Man sounds cool, as would another one of Cirque du soleil's shows, or any cool comedians.

Ari and myself are willing to do time-share stuff to try to get free tickets as a couple if any other couple is interested :J

We are pretty covered on pools, since Flamingo has swimming up until at least 8pm.

As far as Jordan's house is concerned, due to a private family emergency, unfortunately neither him or Jade will be involved in the meetup to my knowledge (which is why I took over the thread and why we will probably look for a park instead) So yeah we probably can't do anything like that, unless of course you guys want us to come over instead to your places :J Ari does have modded Xboxes for gaming :J

Also guys, if you wouldn't mind, if you could check your local newspapers etc. for coupons for good deals on eating etc. for that week, that would be awesome, we have cars so we can drive wherever, or at least some of us can.

Or if you know of any discounts for locals with show tickets, food, eating, gambling in general... Or hell, know someone who sells coupon books or could hook us all up in any way possible, by all means :J

As for Red Rock, Ari and I at least might be interested in that, we are hikers/campers.

Brandon: We're going to be in VEGAS, baby. I don't think anyone is bringing instruments. This isn't really a meetup for sitting in your room playing guitar when OMG VEGAS is right outside. There will, however, be karaoke.

Hemo: Gario will be driving in but I know you're a bit south of him. He was offering rides, maybe you can meet up with him and catch a ride to Vegas with him. I've asked Longe if he could try to get a ride with him too, but I'm not sure that they've talked. I'm driving in and leaving a couple days early too.

As for rooming, if Stevo and Gario are rooming then Obtuse is the only one left that needs a roommate. I believe he only wants 1 roommate so if this works for you, I'll mark you down for it. I suggest people try to do 1 roommate rather than cram rooms full like Magfest - here the rooms are relatively cheap, and you get the comfort of having a bed guaranteed for you. If you wanted to stay with him, then that would complete all rooming and no one would be stranded :) This is based on the registration I've been running, and doesn't include people who have not signed up. There are 18 confirmed people so far including a couple locals. We are trying to have as organized a meetup as possible, Ari has even set up a twitter account to organize events, so if you follow it and allow alerts to your phone, you'll get a text message with updates to the twitter.

There's little ironing out to do :) If you have NOT signed up using the registration form, I have NOT taken you in account for rooming and rides. I'll link it again here:

http://sgtrama.wufoo.com/forms/ocr-las-vegas-registration/

THANKS GUYS :D

Brandon: We're going to be in VEGAS, baby. I don't think anyone is bringing instruments. This isn't really a meetup for sitting in your room playing guitar when OMG VEGAS is right outside. There will, however, be karaoke.

Hemo: Gario will be driving in but I know you're a bit south of him. He was offering rides, maybe you can meet up with him and catch a ride to Vegas with him. I've asked Longe if he could try to get a ride with him too, but I'm not sure that they've talked. I'm driving in and leaving a couple days early too.

As for rooming, if Stevo and Gario are rooming then Obtuse is the only one left that needs a roommate. I believe he only wants 1 roommate so if this works for you, I'll mark you down for it. I suggest people try to do 1 roommate rather than cram rooms full like Magfest - here the rooms are relatively cheap, and you get the comfort of having a bed guaranteed for you. If you wanted to stay with him, then that would complete all rooming and no one would be stranded :) This is based on the registration I've been running, and doesn't include people who have not signed up. There are 18 confirmed people so far including a couple locals. We are trying to have as organized a meetup as possible, Ari has even set up a twitter account to organize events, so if you follow it and allow alerts to your phone, you'll get a text message with updates to the twitter.

There's little ironing out to do :) If you have NOT signed up using the registration form, I have NOT taken you in account for rooming and rides. I'll link it again here:

http://sgtrama.wufoo.com/forms/ocr-las-vegas-registration/

THANKS GUYS :D

Mama Starla rules this roost!