OCR Meetup: Las Vegas, August 2010: **PICS PAGE 43-44**

Monobrow

I so, so badly wish I could attend this.

Just a note: You guys crossing into Mex be very careful. Stay in groups and don't let people wander off as individuals even for short periods of time, and all the regular precautions. It's extremely dangerous there right now, even at tourist spots. And don't take a bunch of US dollars across with you. A lot of stores etc. won't accept them anymore. Just find an ATM and get the pesos you'll need and spend them all before you cross back.

Just want to clarify. Rocky Point is safe. After reading a ton on the situation there online, I still feel it's fine to go.

Ari and myself were there last year and had no problems whatsoever. We've had more problems with crime in Phoenix than in Rocky Point. Basically although it is wise to take precautions, the only real difficulty of traveling to another country is that they may take advantage of your inability to speak their language. While Mexico might be having some turmoil in general, at Rocky Point, any crime I have heard of has nothing to do with tourists.

Rocky Point is a tourist dependent town. They thrive on AZ tourists the year round. There has been no crime against tourists that I have been aware of, any crime reported has been Mexi on Mexi. As long as you stay in tourist areas, and do not wander off alone or do anything stupid, which I don't think any of the people involved in this trip will, it should all run smoothly.

That being said, I think the only risk on this trip will be common from going to Mexico in general, as in theft. Keep belongings safe, don't walk off alone, especially drunk. Don't break any laws.

I've heard of people being harassed at the borders, however we were not harassed in any way, and we were alone then. When we travel to Rocky Point, it will be in groups, so no worries there. The road we took is a USA hassle free zone road, so as long as you stick to the highway, I doubt there will be trouble.

These are just standard precautions anyone traveling to another country should take.

Don't wander off alone, don't keep valuables in sight, keep them with you and safe, have emergency funds, and don't be stupid. Bring food and drinking water with you, come prepared for emergency situations, etc. etc.

About dollars in Rocky Point, when we were there we had no trouble using US currency, but had pesos just in case. They have ATMS and grocery shopping, pharmacys, hospitals, etc. etc. etc.

Whatever kind of party thing we do, I would think would probably have to be earlier in the week, like a Monday or Tuesday... The 9th or 10th?

If you want to do the mass birthday party at your apartment, that'd be awesome. AFAIK, the birthdays are: Jordan, Stevo, Eric (Posibolt), Long Dao, my brother, and hopefully I am not leaving anyone out. So maybe we could a HUGE HUGE HUGE birthday cake or something lol. Hopefully like 30 people max won't be too many at your place.

If it is too many, lets start brainstorming and come up with something else.

THE TIME IS NIGH!

My girlfriend's birthday is in the period as well. PM for info.

So I am thinking I would like to come. Originally I was going to go to Defcon in Vegas but kind of felt weird going to a convention by myself. My birthday is also on the 8th so it would be the most awesome birthday gift to myself to spend my birthday with all you awesome people. I will be able to confirm within a week.

Alright, as promised, I will be coordinating rides, events and rooming.

PLEASE REGISTER FOR THE OCR VEGAS MEETUP HERE:

http://sgtrama.wufoo.com/forms/ocr-las-vegas-registration/

This is final and official registration - rides, events and rooming will be assigned based on the information you provide. The information you fill out will be sent to myself only, a final schedule and list of attendees will be posted on August 1st so please fill out the form before then.

If you don't have a room, or have a room and need to fill it up with more people to split the bill, make a note and I will help you to find other people who still need rooms.

PLEASE fill this out before August 1st so that we can finalize our plans! Thanks!!!

Oh snap -- I come back to OCR and find you guys are finally having a meet-up where I live. Win sauce.

My work schedule is tentative, but I'll definitely be down to hang some of these days. If necessary, I may be able to drive people around a little provided they are cool peeps. So yeah, I am confirmed for Brawl.

Edit: If anyone needs to know anything about Vegas let me know -- I've been here far too long, ha ha.

FYI $1 Blackjack at the Sarah -- best way not to donate too much money to our city if you know what I'm sayin' :)

If you're looking for good cheap food, Blueberry Hill is the place to go, and they have one near the Flamingo. Also, there is a Asian Karaoke Bar not too far away as well if you guys are down for some drunken karaoke! (You know you want to!)

Hmm... Well, I'm assuming on August 1st Jade, Starla or Monobrow will have a great big message telling us what everyone is planning, roomwise. Nonetheless, I request that we all know who needs rooms/looking for roommates before August 5th - until then, we can cancel rooms, if we find people who need roommates. I mean, Obtuse and I are both looking for a roommate, but if no one is available one of us could simply cancel the room and bunk with the other.

Probably doesn't need to be said, but I'd like things to go smoothly, so it's better to say too much than too little.

PLEASE REGISTER FOR THE OCR VEGAS MEETUP HERE:

http://sgtrama.wufoo.com/forms/ocr-las-vegas-registration/

Rooms and rides are looking pretty good so far, make sure you've registered here. A rough schedule of events will be planned since we're looking at around 20+ people and want to coordinate as well as possible, while still staying flexible. Once that's all planned, as stated, Me or Katie will send a schedule to you guys :)