EmperorCharlemagne tries a stab at counterpoint, and probably fails~

EC2151

My hope is that this title scares any off any prospective well-wishers or admirers! Who needs 'em?

I've been listening to a lot of Bach lately, and for a very long time I've been an ardent fan of the late great Glenn Gould, so I decided, in the wee hours of 2AM one night, "how about I try one of those counterpoint thingies???"

2 hours later, I finished with a (lol) one minute song. Took longer than I thought, that's for sure. How the ol' German was able to make 100s of these is beyond my comprehension, but that's maybe why I'm not the genius.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/304455

A quote from Glenn Gould that I really like about Bach and counterpoint:

"It allowed Bach to write with the bare essence of tonality, without all the technicolour trappings OF tonality"

I think, the more I listen to Bach, the more I find the truth in that quote.

I won't wheedle or peddle you with the question of "Did I do good?" because I probably didn't, but I would like to hear opinions on the mixing and mastering of the organ (which admittedly isn't the greatest). I tweaked around with a lot of filters in FL, and although I used the soundfont found on DarkeSword's page (God love 'em), I hope I came close to a resemblance of authenticity... And if not, I'll just say I meant it to sound that way!

To this date, I only really use in FL the filters under Fruity Reverb and Reverb 2... For me, the less choices to worry about the better. Since I mainly do instrumentals and faux-classical/pseudo avant-garde, aside from Fruity Reverb, are there any other filters worth checking out for enhancing authentic sound? Help or advice always is appreciated.

Making a piece like this was fun, though, and I'd definitely like to try again... Maybe even incorporate a remix element into it... That'd be pretty rad if not horribly difficult. But hey, whatever's somewhat new, right?

It sounds interesting. It reminds me of Guilty Gear, maybe cause of the organ?

Sometimes, tweaking the EQ can be useful when trying to the make the instrument sound more authentic. You could probably make the reverb spacier - to give it a church/cathedral feel. Think of what elements makes the instrument sound "real" and copy them.