Liontamer

Blue Magic

Damon Campbell

bluemagic1984@hotmail.com

Game Info:

Donkey Kong Country SNES

Composers: Dave Wise, Eveline Fischer, Robin Beanland

Track: Fear Factory

I don't really have too much to say about this mix, but it was really fun to make and I hope you all have fun listening to it.

Thanks

Damon

----------------------------------------------------------------

Donkey Kong Country - "Fear Factory"

Really unique take on this. The execution wasn't the most solid ever, but this was still a welcome change of pace for this source. The sequencing was too stiff for the pipes, and I thought the texture from 1:08-1:41 was too sparse. But once things picked up at 1:41. On the negative side, the bowed string work in the background there was also way too stiff-sounding and unrealistic. 2:31 brought in some synth stuff over the top of the arranged source for some nice interplay. Cool SFX for the finish.

I'll be honest, and I don't mean this in a derogatory way, Damon, but when I hear this track, it seems to me like your skills are plateauing. As far as overly-quantized sequencing goes, you've had mixes pass with similar issues. Sometimes the other strengths of the arrangement are enough to overshadow those, but I keep hearing the same issues with unrealistic sequencing that prevent me from fully engaging when I listen to your stuff.

Definitely focus some time on the details of your sequencing so that the organic instrument sounds more natural. The level you're at, you can get things passed fairly consistently, but I really hope you're able to push forward, pay more attention to the finer details and raise your execution to that next level. Looking forward your next one, bro!

YES (borderline)

Some sections very mechanical, especially those staccato pan flutes, which stand out even worse than the strings Larry mentioned. Things are saved by the great percussion and the synth work, but it really is something you should take a look at. Basically, it's the only real weakness in the mix, but it gets more glaring with each listen.

The arrangement ideas themselves were cool, and a very fresh take on the theme. Props for that, and the instrumentation itself was cool and inspired.

I gotta agree with Larry here. This is still passable, but I think you've gotten a good enough grasp on your game at it's current state that you can kick it up to the next level, and humanizing your organic elements is a great place to start.

yes

This song really lacks a substantial bassline. I feel that with so much attention payed to the percussion work, a bassline that locks in with it would have really helped this piece. This mix sounds top-heavy to me; it really needs a stronger bass element. Sequencing is a little mechanical throughout the piece; it could do with some humanization.

The arrangement is cool. The development of the themes is really nice; good highs and lows.

I think this needs some work on the production end. NO, resub

I'm pretty ambivalent here. I love the textures and the set of instruments, very well chosen and blended. The first minute was too directionless, very little build-up or much happening. Eventually a pan flute came in and from there, it started to go somewhere, though it only really took off at 1:40, when the bass regions that Shariq noted as missing were filled by pads and kick. That's this mix's weakest aspect IMO, the first half is only OK.

There's also an overquantized feel to this, but I didn't feel it hurt this too much. The reverb settings are good, and the blend of electronic and natural elements downplays the stiff timing. The pan flute is the worst of it. Overall, I'll give it a borderline YES. The second half really comes through and offers a great arrangement of Fear Factory, the first half has some good ideas but the execution could have been improved.

YES (borderline)

I'm a bit ambivalent as well, I suppose. Generally, that means I'm likely to fall on the side of favoring the mix, and in an effort to not ramble on and on, that's what I'll do here. I don't mind the sparse feel, there seemed to be enough going on to keep the mix interesting enough.

Like Shariq mentioned, I was most disappointed in the mediocre bass writing. Heck, it felt like the bass wasn't even really a firm presence in the mix until like 1:43, which is kind of weak. And then the part itself was kind of dull, really.

Oh well, all in all, the mix is nothing short of enjoyable, regardless, and despite the less-than-stellar bass, I felt like it's a nice tribute to Fear Factory.

YES (borderline)

I listened to this many times a few days ago but left it around because I had a hard time settling for a vote.

Coming back to it, I still feel it has some flaws that could easily be fixed. The main thing being the very stiff sequencing (the strings and flute sound especially unreal) and unbalanced mixing (where's that low/low-mid?).

Still, what's here IS good. The arrangement is decently personalized, the musicality is really apparent in this one. Some of the sounds (especially percussion) are good and adds to the very personal mood. If I have to settle for a vote, and I'm a judge so I do, I'm gonna have to land on the good side. This is not a strong YES and I hope you keep that in mind, but it's a YES nonetheless. Next time it might not swing your way so take the critcism to heart.

YES(borderline)

Simplicity is not in and of itself a bad thing. Trouble with simplicity is that when there isn't a lot going on, what's there needs to be that much better. I think the second half of this remix is substantially more interesting than the first. It starts to get interesting. I'd make the first part of the mix shorter and develop the second more. You also really need a bass instrument here to fill it out.

NO