ReMixer: AeroZ

Name: Sebastian Freij

E-mail: seb@freijman.com

Homepage: freijman.com

ReMix: Agahnim Arsenik

Game arranged: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Song arranged: Hyrule Castle

Own comments:

Those haunting strings... the pouring rain sfx... entering the castle...

These are all memories that never will go away for me.

With this ReMix, I try to share with you the energy I felt as a kid while playing this game.

This is a tribute to the game The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

I thank it for an awesome childhood.

/ AeroZ

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://ocremix.org/chip/6670 loz3-05a.spc "Majestic Castle"

Those beats+bass are wicked; makes me wanna get up and dance. Awesome gating and rolling kicks. I love how this sounds really old school with the SNES style strings around halfway through. Lots of old console sounding synths, but still a lot of great effects. Awesome.

As much as I hate the phrase, I see this becoming an "instant classic" on OCR.

YES~

I love the arrangement on this, and the progression, as well as all the ornamentation, but until it got layered sith some claps I thought that snare was pretty weaksauce. ;_;

Synths are rocking as always, nice filtering and general sound selection, and once layered, the snare sounds good. The transitions were always exciting, and though the ending just sort of happened, I was definitely feeling this track overall. It's seeming like 2010 will hopefully have a strong chiptune presence as long as the three amigos of AeroZ, halc, and Willrock continue to fight for justice!

yes

Seb does not share Samson's weakness. I saw that dude with far less hair on his noggin than I remember, but his strength as a remixer appears unaffeted.

I really have nothing productive to say about this submission other than the fact than it's awesome. I've been enjoying it a TON for the past week. Shame on me for not voting sooner, I suppose.

Boo-yah.

YES!

NOTE: In spite of my reactionary hyperbole, I don't actually think this is a terrible piece by any stretch. I just don't think it's nearly as good as everyone else does. Please don't take it the wrong way.

Groove bias, anyone?

The first minute is repetitive and boring..very little going on besides the groove, and that clap is really...tiresome. 1:00 to 1:30 is much better than the first minute. Some actual ideas introduced, although I can't identify their relationship to the original. Once the melody comes in at 1:45, I'm bored again. There's nothing going on besides a bare-bones interpretation of the source. Finally at 2:10 we have some creative interpretation of the bridge. Thirty seconds of real,respectable arrangement. Come to think of it, the other interesting part of this song is the other bridge at around 3:00. So I'm counting two 20-second bridges and an unrelated section towards the beginning that I count as good arrangement, punctuating 2:30 of groove plus little else.

The production here is definitely solid, and the bridges introduce some really interesting ideas that I wish were better contextualized, but a majority of the track (~65%) is devoid of anything remotely interesting going on. I have no idea what you guys are all creaming your pants about. "Instant Classic?" are you kidding me?

NO

Groove bias, anyone?

The first minute is repetitive and boring..very little going on besides the groove, and that clap is really...tiresome. 1:00 to 1:30 is much better than the first minute. Some actual ideas introduced, although I can't identify their relationship to the original. Once the melody comes in at 1:45, I'm bored again. There's nothing going on besides a bare-bones interpretation of the source. Finally at 2:10 we have some creative interpretation of the bridge. Thirty seconds of real,respectable arrangement. Come to think of it, the other interesting part of this song is the other bridge at around 3:00. So I'm counting two 20-second bridges and an unrelated section towards the beginning that I count as good arrangement, punctuating 2:30 of groove plus little else.

The production here is definitely solid, and the bridges introduce some really interesting ideas that I wish were better contextualized, but a majority of the track (~65%) is devoid of anything remotely interesting going on. I have no idea what you guys are all creaming your pants about. "Instant Classic?" are you kidding me?

NO

No, I'm not kidding you. There's a lot of subtle changes going on in the "repetitive and boring" groove. Synths embellishing and interacting with the percussion and bassline change a lot and there are a lot of different drumfills every couple of bars. A lot of people are going to love this piece.

I wasn't as crazy about this as the first three votes, but I don't get where you're coming from thinking this is too conservative, Jesse. There's a ton of little places where the melodies change, harmonies added, new stuff in the background. My unchaste mother just raised me to think that way, damn it!

It's a pass. I don't think this is really Sebastian's best - the instrumentation is a little blunt, but there's a lot of little details and it's a good interpretation.

YES