360 or PS3?

Sir_Snooze

What I DO know is that I don't have a single friend with an Xbox360 who hasn't returned at least two of them...

unless you have 12.5 friends with PS3s, you are theoretically under the threshold for having one statistically break on you.

as i said before, the jasper units didn't come out until mid to late 2008. i can guarantee that your friends didn't have a jasper unit - no really, i'll put money on it. that's how sure i am of them.

in my six months working at game crazy, i defected out about thirty PS3s, about forty Wiis, and about a hundred 360s. i returned one 360 that was a jasper unit - i checked every time (the dvd drive took a dump, but it still powered on and played XBLA stuff). about 75% of them were samsung and hitachi dvd drive units - aka, the launch models (these say 16.5a on the back). the falcon systems were launched as a supposed fix for the RROD issues, using a 90nm manufacturing process as a way to use less heat. these say 14.2a on the back, and they comprised the other 25%. jasper units read 12.1a on the back, use a 65nm manufacturing process...and they quite literally never break.

for what it's worth, over the same amount of time, i defected out almost two hundred - TWO HUNDRED - PS2s. models ranged from 5th gen to 14th (the newest models available).

you can say what you want about sony. i've never had a new or used 360 crap out on me, ever. had one that i bought broken and tried to fix, didn't work so i sold it. i've owned four 360s (got two for free through work!). i currently own two. i've owned three sony products in my life - a PSone, a PS2, and a PS3 - and i went through three PS3s until i got one that didn't have issues. the PS2 crapped out three years and five days after purchase. i still own the PSone.

so it's all personal experience, i guess. but i can point you to numerous articles detailing the reason that the jasper 360s are basically indestructible. hell, they don't even get WARM when you run them. even my n64 gets warm after a while. my PS3's practically a space heater. my 360 is cool as the other side of the pillow.