OCR00415 - Castlevania II "Mini Mayhem"

Ginnsu

Castlevania II 'Mini Mayhem'

Although I'm not particularly fond of this style of music, I must say this is incredibly well done. It’s really interesting to hear a piece of music produced electronically and then here the same thing reproduced completely with live instruments. One also must applaud the talent that must have gone into producing a mix like this. I can’t say that this would ever be at the top of my favourites list, but there is no doubt in my mind that it’s at the top of somebody’s.

• 3 weeks later...

To me, it sounds like in the mix down of this, they didnt transition the second guitar in well after the intro. It just comes in, and cuts right out way too fast. But other than that, its great, cause its the bosses. I guess Im just use to the live one more though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yum. Generally not my preferred type of music (because too often people who are guitar nuts have this nagging tendency to pollute their beautiful music with their voices...), but still extremely nice. Ironically enough, this would make a great general combat song for Castlevania -- minibosses or otherwise. :D I'm quite fond of what they've done with the wilderness - daytime and town - daytime original tunes. And the ending is just great.

... though that's the one problem: this song needs to be 10 times longer. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Seriously, this track is well played, but when the song hit the "Bloody Tears" theme at 2:36 I couldn't stop playing the air guitar. "Bloody Tears" has always been my favorite Simon's Quest theme ever since I first played the game in the late 80's. Kudos to the Minibosses, and I would love to hear more.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I loved the minibosses work with Super Mario Bros. 2 so was really looking forward to something even more special with what I'd consider superior base music to work with.

Sadly, I was disappointed with this medley. While I like the raw sound (someone compared it to Iron Maiden, which is pretty accurate), the pace of all the cues except for "Bloody Tears" is achingly slow adding to what another reviewer summed up as "garage band sounding". Very true yet again.

The instrumentation is well done, especially when picking up those difficult notes in the town theme, but it sounds like the band purposely slowed things down to make the first cues easier to manage.

Yes, there's nothing neccessarily wrong with that but part of what makes the CastleVania music great is its ability to work in those devilish little overtones while still moving at a brisk pace, implying the impending mood of doom. So slowing down the bpm kind of killed the mood persay of the original cues.

Bloody Tears was great however. I was disappointed in my hopes that the band would work in some keyboards but the one guitar did an excellent job of creating a sharp, impactful sound, filling in the place of a cathedral organ that one would expect in CastleVania music.

This would've been great if it were sped up a bit. But all in all, a passable effort.

• 5 months later...

For some reason I love the daytime town music, and at 1:17 they do a great job of rocking it out here. I love it.

HOWEVER, as usual with Minibosses Castlevania material (if you've heard their CV III Medley then you know), it's just toooo slow!! The music loses a lot of its edge and often ferocity when played too slow. Maybe I'll just speed it up in an audio editing program...

Otherwise, a practically flawless mix. Not so much a remix as a re-play though.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Some cool stuff going on here. I can recognize a few of these tunes just through listening to other mixes, and this is a pretty cool medley. Transitions are done well, so things don't get caught up between songs. Overall playing is nice and tight, no complaints there.

I like the raw feeling of the guitars, but I feel like they're lacking a little bite at times. They feel like their set a bit too far back in the soundscape.

Other than that, cool stuff.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00415 - Castlevania II "Mini Mayhem"