Pokémon Remix [Into the Palace]

Jakerno

Hey guys! I'm pretty new to the OC community. I've downloaded and listened to quite a bit of the OC remixes online, and listened to them from friends, but never got too involved in the forums. So here's (I believe) one of my first posts!

I've done a Pokemon remix a few days ago, from the Red, Blue and Yellow Gameboy games, and was hoping I could get some feedback on it. I consider the piece finished, and would appreciate if I could get some comments on it. Possibly even some suggestions, although the mix has already been mastered (to the extent of my mastering skills).

I'm planning to send this as a submission, but first tell me what you think.

Original:

Into The Palace

ReMix:

Out Of The Palace

Thanks!

I'm going to be kind of brutal, but in an honest way.

That piano bit in the beginning doesn't fit. It sounds very... plain and fake. Actually, the entire piano through out the entire song doesn't fit very well.

The electric guitar sounds fine. Just not that piano. Also, throwing the opening credits theme in the middle might get you a knock against it. I get what you were going for, but it doesn't mesh well with it. I think if you stuck to the one song, that would work better.

The E-Guitar sounds absolutely solid and dynamic, as well as the percussive part. like mentioned some times before.. the piano sounds wrong. Not as instrument.. some Notes are too short and the apreggios could sound cleaner.. maybe a bright or chorused piano with a fair reverb instead of a grand piano.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I just saw this, and I want to be the one to disagree. The piano, to me, is what sets this apart from being "just another electric guitar cover of a game song" in my eyes. The piano truly captures that moment of the game. Even on the game boy, I always imagined that song being played by a piano, it really matches the feeling of competition and victory.

Just to have an opposing viewpoint, I say I like it as is! Good job!

I think it's a great arrangement of the source, and really does keep the mood of the song intact. I htough the integration of the opening theme was smooth. And while I agree that the piano is out of place, I wouldn't remove it entirely.

I think angels Den idea of using a more fitting type of Piano would make the difference. Maybe even a Rock Organ.

The issue with the piano is that you're using such a soft instrument as your main melody, and it can barely be heard over the rhythm guitar. Turn the guitars down, and give the piano a little more oomph (if your samples incorporate timbre changes for a forte, or even fortissimo dynamic, do that too.)

Perhaps even consider turning the gain/distortion down on the guitars a little bit so that they don't contrast so much.

Make no mistake, symphonic instruments can go really, really well with guitar.

i thought the piano sounded out of place whenever it was playing the main melody, like at the beginning. during the other sections it was alright. that melody could use some variation too, it's pretty repetitive to begin with and in regards to source it's pretty close to verbatim. the transition into (and back out of) the intro theme was an excellent idea imo, and a great change of pace. that sounded totally fluid to me.

it is pretty loud - the quality is still alright but i agree with sly that could might wanna tone down the guitars a bit.

cool stuff. i enjoyed it :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks A bunch! I'm really happy for the (mostly) positive feedback. Invader_Quirk, you rock! Everyone else, thanks too. I haven't been on the forum in a while, been a bit busy, sorry. But I'm taking the suggestions, and I really think that I might just leave it as is and send it in. Haven't been really working on the remix in some time. As for the guitars, I can't really turn down the gain, because I recorded from my amp, and that would mean re recording.

Thanks again!

I like this mix, I think the opening piano would be better if it were played in a different register. It's not mudding up the guitar, but it's not too far away from it. Swapping an octave up or down might be the better choice. The rest of the piano work feels solid.

Personally, I feel like the section with the opening theme is the strongest. I'd say to just run with that song instead, or make it feel more like a cameo-solo thing in this one. It would need a lot of variance and playing with, but it could work out to be fantastic.

The guitar recording is very loud. That's not really a bad thing, per say, but it does catch the listener off guard initially. Even the harmonics come off a little loud, which isn't normally supposed to happen outside of pinches.

I'd like to see this worked on, I like this piece a lot.

Quirk: Personally, I'd prefer another guitar mix over another synth one.