OCR01975 - Sonic the Hedgehog (XB360) "Absolution Comes in Dreams"

djpretzel

Haha, it was just a few weeks ago, during magfest, Cyril was telling me about how he had a remix of Dreams of an Absolution that wasn't posted yet, and I was asking him if he knew whether LeeBro from OCR was the same Lee Brotherton. Nice to see it confirmed.

Incidentally, I'm noticing that Lee Brotherton is missing from this remix's "original composer" field, and his artist profile only lists the Remixer role.

Firstly, let me thank all of your for your warming comments, reviews and congratulatory remarks! (cheesy line imminent)

It's nice to be on board.

And while I have ram doing flooring at my house, and I would love to have each of you drop in and put on some Rush and eat Gouda cheese. I think it would be easier for me to just say a big.

THANKS!

Also, for some reason people think I sing on this... NO! I have one small harmony line at the end, but other than that, its all multiple versions of M-One. :) I'm glad to see my guitar playing is appreciated, it was some intense recording sessions. SO MANY BARRE CHORDS!

Upthorn, I dunno why this is but a possible reason could be the fact the Mr. Bentley Jones only provided vocals and lyrics to DOAA. It was really composed by Minako Nanba.

Once again, thank you all. :)

I was silly enough to read while listening to this song. It just so happened to play when I got to a very, very emotional part of the novel. I had known before hand that a death was going to happen in this book, so I prepared myself for it. But THEN, a read a letter sent from the boy before he had died, and this song was playing.

I still want to cry about it. This song intensified the emotion even from the novel. It is so full of feeling, and a song like this isn't made very often. I don't think I have ever had such a rush while reading any other book, while listening to any other song.

So well done to the remixer! And know that you brought a woman to tears with it-a woman who doesn't cry very often, and was even prepared before hand! :P

Haha, it was just a few weeks ago, during magfest, Cyril was telling me about how he had a remix of Dreams of an Absolution that wasn't posted yet, and I was asking him if he knew whether LeeBro from OCR was the same Lee Brotherton. Nice to see it confirmed.

Incidentally, I'm noticing that Lee Brotherton is missing from this remix's "original composer" field, and his artist profile only lists the Remixer role.

That would be because Tomoya Ohtani is the actual composer of the song; Lee simply did the vocals, and perhaps an unconfirmed amount of actual music production. A quick look at the credits of the song and a few associated interviews will confirm this.

As for the mix itself, I'm very pleased with how it turned out! I love the more subdued acoustic vibe; it contrasts pretty heavily with the strong electronica that was the original song, but not in a bad way. In fact, I'd say the acoustics are more appropriate given the lyrics of the song! Very solid interpretation. Enjoying it loads. :)

I held off on commenting on this mix just so I could keep it in my need-to-listen-to-it-as-often-as-possible-so-I-can-comment-on-it queue. That should tell you how much I like it.

Some of the vocals are a bit hard to understand, but overall, they're simply great, as is the acoustic guitar.

Amazing mix; best one to be posted in a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think there are a few too many repetitions of the course at the end but it sounds pretty solid. After hearing Cyril vocals in the megaman comp I think we can chalk up anything that didn't sound so great to lack of time and production... nice voice! And believe me I still think this song is a bit lame, BUT I can appreciate what you guys have put together in a big way. Good job

Ummm.... Doni, those vocals are not mine. I have a SMALL harmony part at the end.

The main vocals are by Matthew Dunne, or M-One. He doesn't do too much in the community around here, so I can understand the confusion, but still.

Thank you for the compliments. :)

Although I can say that my vocals don't generally suck as bad as they did on the Megaman comp. That was definitely due to time and because it was a friggin hard melody.

• 2 years later...

Honestly, I was going to compose a remix for this, with my instruments of choice (acoustic guitar & vocals), only for me to find this, which is basically acoustic. Now what, do I have to do a cover of His World? Coz to be honest, that's tempting (a little too hard for my technical level, but who cares?), this game had a brilliant soundtrack.

Aside for all that, I love this mix. One of the first I found, and the first one that really got me interested in remixing for a site like this. I was about to record an original track (my first ever full composition, so I was looking forward to it) only for my headset to die, which is a shame - I promised myself that track first, and possibly a Sonic Adventure or Sonic '06 remix after that. Oh well, maybe next time.

Just a little note on the lyrics, which most people know already, but I thought I'd have to say it - 'there's a furball with one last chance'? Seriously? Was that the ONLY thing you could have thought of?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm going to be perfectly honest; I didn't like this at all. The vocals quickly became a chore to listen to, and the melody just didn't seem to fit the original song. I know one version is techno (kinda) and the other is rock-n'-roll, and I do like the idea of a somewhat acoustic version, but this one just didn't work for me. Also, "Absolution Comes in Dreams"? Doesn't this seem a bit redundant (and kinda fake)?

If you liked this, that's great, more power to you, but IMO, I was expecting better, especially since this is OCRemix we're talking about, and LeeBro, a remixer on this site, did an amazing job on the original song, and "Dreams of an Absolution" is, itself, a fantastic song. I apologize if I sound like an ass, but this is my honest-to-God opinion, and hopefully, constructive criticism. 4/10.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so this was a pretty nice take on the source and I did enjoy it as a good song to listen to in the background (that's about how I feel about a lot of easy-going acoustic tracks. Nice to chill to). The vocals sound good to me, don't get me wrong, but at some points it was hard to hear. Other than that, really nice ReMix with great instrumentation choices.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01975 - Sonic the Hedgehog (XB360) "Absolution Comes in Dreams"