Final Fantasy XIII

AJ-enova

To quote Colonel Landa:

"That's a Bingo!!!!!"

Remember when FF mages sucked at combat and didn't have a buckle fetish?

EDIT:

Well to be fair, I guess that was only ever the case in like I, III, and like IV. Cuz in every other game you could basically customize the shit out of everyone to be dual-wielding ninja mages who could dual-summon Mega Flare while casting quick every turn.

Hey guys, the following are opinions from Japanese high school otakus.

According to them, FFXIII is...

-Way too hard

-Has great production values

That's all. Anti-climax is my middle name. ^_-

I still think it's gonna rock though. Looks like an interesting story. FINALLY, there's another black major character. I wonder if there is going to be anything on-line or trophy-related in it. I hope so. But knowing me, I'll probably like Star Ocean 4 more. COMING SOON!

-Way too hard

I assume the Japanese, in general, just suck at games at this point. A lot of old NES games were easy in their Japanese incarnations and this tradition continues up through today with games like MGS4 where the Japanese normal was the US easy. Too many dating sims, not enough Contra in their gaming diet.

I assume the Japanese, in general, just suck at games at this point. A lot of old NES games were easy in their Japanese incarnations and this tradition continues up through today with games like MGS4 where the Japanese normal was the US easy. Too many dating sims, not enough Contra in their gaming diet.

Are you kidding? Japan is where the "bullet hell" shooters were created. More on topic, JRPGs were usually dumbed down for the American release. Final Fantasy IV / II comes to mind.

The Japanese do tend to suck at 3D shooters (both first-person and over-the-shoulder), so those games do tend to be easier there. Probably because those genres are so unpopular over there.

Are you kidding? Japan is where the "bullet hell" shooters were created. More on topic, JRPGs were usually dumbed down for the American release. Final Fantasy IV / II comes to mind.

The Japanese do tend to suck at 3D shooters (both first-person and over-the-shoulder), so those games do tend to be easier there. Probably because those genres are so unpopular over there.

You forget that just as there are bullet hell fanatics here (such as myself) in the west, there are some guys who are good at shooters who are of eastern descent/origin.

I give you this guy!

for fucks sakes he cleared Scythe - Fear faster than I could ever do on a good day. :lol:

-Way too hard

Have you ever played Wild Arms 4? That's another game where characters were fully healed at the end of each battle. As a result, battles were uber-hard (well, about half the time) because suddenly the game doesn't need to take wearing your party down into consideration.

Have you ever played Wild Arms 4? That's another game where characters were fully healed at the end of each battle. As a result, battles were uber-hard (well, about half the time) because suddenly the game doesn't need to take wearing your party down into consideration.

Basically this, which is awesome. I love the thrill of a good fight.

That's why the best memories I have of playing FF come from VIII. I think it's because, if you weren't prepared, you could still win a boss, but you had to hang on white-knuckled to pull it off. Similarly with some of IX's, though they're only really tough if you want to steal stuff.

But if they make every battle a gut-clenching battle to survive... yeah. That'll be pretty sweet, too.

^^^^

"Almost killed that Imp almost killed that Imp a few more hits a few more hits a few mo-

No!

NO!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK THIS GAME

FUCK THIS STUPID ASS GAME

FUCK THAT FUCKING SHIT IMP AND HIS FUCKING CHEAP ASS ATTACK!

FUCK

FUCK

FUCK"

this is ancient news and doesn't apply to anything anymore

You're right of course, but then again, that was kind of my point. There are easy games and difficult games, both from Japan and from the west, and this has always been the case. I guess Final Fantasy has just become so mainstream that people expect it to be easy these days.

Agito's gameplay is supposed to be based on Crisis Core, except with a party instead of a single fighter. I believe they're modifying Crisis Core's engine for Agito.

I didn't know that, that actually sounds pretty good! Maybe it's time to start getting excited for Agito after all.

I guess Final Fantasy has just become so mainstream that people expect it to be easy these days.

Hmm, in a way, I'd say somewhat the opposite could be said, too. When a series has been in play for this long, fans have long since become familiar with all the tricks and inner workings of the systems (even though each has its own little variances). Thus, for the last few years, everyone thinks the games have been easy (though FF X really was), when it's really been our own momentum pushing us through.

Making games harder really makes sense, because then fans get a new set of challenges each time, with the same kind of gameplay. If they don't get harder, the gameplay can get stale. So far, they've offset it by changing up the system each game, but that'll only go so far, I think.

I agree. I'm playing ff7 on my psp right now and I can't imagine how it was possible for me to have such a difficult time on my first playthrough. There hasn't been a boss that I haven't completely destroyed so far. Even the Prod Cloud was a breeze. Of course now it's going to be even easier now that I have unlimited megalixers (w-item materia)

I agree. I'm playing ff7 on my psp right now and I can't imagine how it was possible for me to have such a difficult time on my first playthrough. There hasn't been a boss that I haven't completely destroyed so far. Even the Prod Cloud was a breeze. Of course now it's going to be even easier now that I have unlimited megalixers (w-item materia)

Yeah, Most RPG's seem to be a bit challenging on the 1st time through. I guess on replays you know what to expect and what to use...

• 3 weeks later...

Well I thought I'd bump this thread being that we have XVII days(yes corny) before the game's launch, and what better way to bump a thread in a music forum by providing a few snippets of the OST courtesy of youtube?

For starters, this is probably my favorite track that I've heard thus far

So what do you guys think? I think it's a pretty strong departure from the norm, and yet it seems like the natural direction that the series sound would take. I think Hamauzu did a great job with the OST. What's interesting is the greater use of vocals within tracks. Very cool.

i'm hoping to finish a remix of a song from FFXIII before the game launches, but i'm not sure i'll have time =(

is anyone else pissed there isn't a Collector's edition coming to NA?

I for one am very pissed. If I weren't an impatient bastard I'd be tempted to import the limited edition from Europe.

RPG's were hard for me as a kid because I ran away constantly. I wanted to get to the next story sequence not fight random battles. So I was always really underleveled. The last RPG to really give me any trouble was The World Ends with You which lets you configure the difficulty however you want. So I always just played it balls to the walls.

i'm hoping to finish a remix of a song from FFXIII before the game launches, but i'm not sure i'll have time =(

is anyone else pissed there isn't a Collector's edition coming to NA?

I wanted to do that too. If you're interested in a collab at all, let me know. :P

I pre-ordered this game with release-day shipping. :-o!