Final Fantasy XIII

AJ-enova

As I have said to friends before who liked the idea, if they just changed the amount you could junction from 100 to 50, it would make VIII's engine so much better. You wouldn't feel so forced to melee only in that game.

As much as I hate the story, the battle engine, if worked on, would be welcomed back by me in another installment.

The game expects you to know that you're supposed to use Card Mod and Item Refinement to make it easier to get 100 of a majority of the spells in the game, but that's for the players to discover for themselves. Which is definitely a flaw, people shouldn't be punished by drawing magic from enemies for an hour or two if they don't realize they can take 5 seconds and refine it instead.

Overall though? When you learn FF8's systems inside and out, it's a really fucking fun game and one of my top FF games. Its biggest flaw is the story which gets kinda bad half way through then mind-numbingly stupid in the last 3/4.

EDIT: Dang, hijacked by Malaki.

The game expects you to know that you're supposed to use Card Mod and Item Refinement to make it easier to get 100 of a majority of the spells in the game, but that's for the players to discover for themselves. Which is definitely a flaw, people shouldn't be punished by drawing magic from enemies for an hour or two if they don't realize they can take 5 seconds and refine it instead.

Fuck the drawing and refining part. I just hate that the moment I cast, my stats go down. That is just stupid. You either get to cast Ultima and cause some massive damage, or use it towards a stat. Obviously, you are going to with the latter, since it will boost the stat like crazy.

If they lowered it to only 50 per stat, you could cast at least 50 of a spell without having to worry about the stat going down.

Fuck the drawing and refining part. I just hate that the moment I cast, my stats go down. That is just stupid. You either get to cast Ultima and cause some massive damage, or use it towards a stat. Obviously, you are going to with the latter, since it will boost the stat like crazy.

If they lowered it to only 50 per stat, you could cast at least 50 of a spell without having to worry about the stat going down.

Yeah, that's something I would've been down with.

I'd like to see a second take on FF8's battle system with a little more variety instead of "Aura on Squall, Renzoukuken like crazy, Melee/Heal with other characters."

the first time I played FFVIII, I hated the system and got stuck at the end because Ultimecia was too powerful for my underdeveloped junctions

the second time I played it, I knew what I was doing and wiped the floor with everything (including Omega Weapon)

edit: okay what the hellass, I'm looking at FFX right now and there ain't no ATB option anywhere

prophet, you have got to be thinking of another final fantasy. That "magic window" behavior that you're thinking of is part of the ATB system, but FFX has a different battle time system in where the characters basically "build up" an amount of points in a bar to get a turn. The number of points required to get your next turn depends on the speed stat, what attack you used last, whether or not you have haste or slow cast on you, and other factors. In fact it's called the CTB (Conditional Turn-Based Battle) instead of the ATB (Active Time Battle)

maybe that's what i'm thinking of, then. i've played several ff-style rpgs since then, i must be getting mixed up. my bad.

also:

uh, the fact that there's a tradeoff is kind of the point, dude.

I'm thinking about going down the hill to the Gamestop to watch the Midnight thing in progress.

I like being the one guy who's there to look at A/V cables while everyone else is buying FFXIII. The looks on the employees faces make it worth the trip. :)

What? No HDMI?