Those hacked sidescrollers on youtube

Like Asshole Mario and Super Mario World: Intrigue. Does anyone here have insight into them? As in, what else is out there to watch. I vaguely know what's going on (people hack the games, make their own levels, use emulation tools while playing them, and record their activities), but can anyone here speak to it? What else out there is worth watching? Are there any portals where I can watch them? I have no interest in even trying to play them.

yeah what I was talking about is in the spirit of that, but I wanted to know if there were any others besides what was linked to? also, I cannot stand hearing retarded commentary to go with the game, or watching some idiot replay the same thing six times before finally beating it.
Well, you're kinda skirting the realm of Let's Play, which is exactly that: a regular (not pro/speedrun) play through with commentary. So, try not to get too disappointed. Especially since a lot of them suck.

I made someone ragequit last night off of an IRC channel when I showed them a youtube video of the German version of Half-Life. Now normally I'd show people videos of Kaizo Mario World or Parallel Worlds (a hack of A Link to the Past which yes has been Let's Played) I figured what the hell, it can't be any worse than the usual stuff you see on craptube.

Some hacks are just retarded, but if you've played a game to death (like MM3, in my case) picking up a hack might be pretty entertaining, if it's well done. I've played a hard-hack of MM2 before that was pretty intense (and therefore pretty fun), so if you don't know what to do with them try them out for yourself.

Except the Half-Life hack, obviously.

yeah what I was talking about is in the spirit of that, but I wanted to know if there were any others besides what was linked to? also, I cannot stand hearing retarded commentary to go with the game, or watching some idiot replay the same thing six times before finally beating it.

hmm.. sounds like you want a 'let's play' without sound or the person failing.;-)

i think it's part of the fun to watch them struggle, as long as they're not too terrible.

there's a lot of great LP's out there.

if you REALLY don't want any talking or screwups, just watch a few TAS's. those are entertaining anyways.

Actually, I used to dabble in Super Mario World rom hacking for a few years.

Since SMW hacking is by far the most popular retro game to hack it's a mixed bag to work with because on one side you have a lot of community to help you out and a lot of documentation from the hacks made before you and on the other side you have a good handful of quality hacks already made meaning that nobody would ever get around to play your stuff unless you forced em.

Put simply, the SMW rom hack 'market' for people's time is flooded and it's too difficult to work in. It's for that reason I stopped working on my hack, although I am proud of what I made.

csml0047.pngcsml0031.pngSuperMarioWorlds0062.png

Those were good times. :)