Ys I & II, wich is the best remake?

Dunther

Hi all, I never approached the Ys series, but I'm interested in trying it, so I've decided to take a remake of the first 2 episodes.

There are many versions, but probably the DS or the PSP ones are the better (because are the newest).

Anyone knows the series enough to help me? :)

I'm actually a HUGE Ys afficionado and I'd ultimately recommend going for the psp version even though I myself only have a DS. The psp version is actually a port of Ys I and I Eternal for the PC, which is considered by most to be the best remake in the series (I actually bought the PC one and used a translation patch to get it working, but buying the import can empty your wallet.)

The PSP version has updated hand-drawn art and the combat's a little more interesting; you can see sword slashes when Adol steam rolls into enemies and such. The DS version in comparison, well...Its a 3d remake but a lot of the visuals don't look that great. Control wise, you can either play it with the stylus and run into enemies but its kinda hard to control. You can play with the D-pad also, but if you intend to do that, there's an attack button for slashing, kind of like in Ys VI for the PS2, only it comes off a little wonky, if you ask me.

In conclusion, I'd say get the PSP version if you can because its about the same as the Windows version, only not as expensive and with a remixed soundtrack that isn't MIDI (the only flaw of said Windows version).

Now if you had a Wii, you could download the Turbo GFX version for 10 bucks on virtual console and get all the snazzy eighties voice acting and cutscenes, but the actual game itself is a little dated by most's standards. Word of advice.