Ipod help

Hyperion5182

I received a 2 GB Walkman for christmas two years ago. Best they could do given cash problems. At this point I'm looking strongly at an I-pod classic for its unbelievable capacity. However I've seen ipod touches and i now wonder if they aren't worth the trouble. Would i miss the overall capacity if i bought an 8 gig touch over the 160 classic? Or would you recommend a higher memory touch?

Logically: No. The Touch is ehh.

But really it's not all that easy. It really depends on how much you go out, how much music you listen to, and how many songs (and movies) you actually have.

I had an 80Gb iPod classic, and I never quite filled it, but it was always close. For while I was at school I kept a full season of a TV show at a time on it (around 200-300Mbs an episode), a few movies (which should only be like 700Mbs a piece), and a bunch of MP3s.

Now, with me, I like to listen to a bunch of music. I usually have a set few songs or CDs that I'm listening to most at any given time, but a lot of times I like to go back and listen to stuff I haven't in awhile. As a result I would always keep a LOT of songs on my iPod (albeit not ALL of my songs) because I would get frustrated if I went looking for a song and it wasn't there, and because I was away from my home computer at least 10 hours of my day and brought my iPod everywhere so it got a LOT of use.

The main features of an iPod Touch is that it has a bigger screen, which makes it better for watching movies and stuff, which you should keep in mind because, as I said, that stuff is way bigger AND the fact that it's practically an iPhone without the phone. This is important because that means you get all the cool apps, but none of the cool internet unless there's wifi around. It's essentially a mini-laptop, but not as free as you want.

If I had infinite amounts of money at my disposal I'd get the small iPod touch for movies and apps (or just an iPhone, really, because I'd carry both) AS well as the smaller iPod classic.

If I could only afford 1, I'd get either the bigger touch or the smaller iPod classic, and honestly I'd lean toward the classic.

With the 16GB touch 2-3 GBs for movies, 5-7Gbs for TV shows. That leaves about 6GBs for about 30 CDs? (which really isn't as much as it sounds at all), and the function to use the apps with limit exposure to wireless internet where ever it's available (which is a lot of places but not really THAT many, unless you spend a lot of time at coffee houses or on a campus or smth). Even if you do nothing but basically apps and songs you're looking at about 100 CDs (which is pretty solid), but missing out on one of the MAIN REASONS to have a touch.

So basically, unless you don't go out for a long time much, don't listen too much music, don't have many Mp3s to begin with, and don't plan on storing too many videos, the 8GB touch is pretty meh.

IN MY EXPERIENCE, anyway. It really depends on you.

Logically: No. The Touch is ehh.

But really it's not all that easy. It really depends on how much you go out, how much music you listen to, and how many songs (and movies) you actually have.

I had an 80Gb iPod classic, and I never quite filled it, but it was always close. For while I was at school I kept a full season of a TV show at a time on it (around 200-300Mbs an episode), a few movies (which should only be like 700Mbs a piece), and a bunch of MP3s.

Now, with me, I like to listen to a bunch of music. I usually have a set few songs or CDs that I'm listening to most at any given time, but a lot of times I like to go back and listen to stuff I haven't in awhile. As a result I would always keep a LOT of songs on my iPod (albeit not ALL of my songs) because I would get frustrated if I went looking for a song and it wasn't there, and because I was away from my home computer at least 10 hours of my day and brought my iPod everywhere so it got a LOT of use.

The main features of an iPod Touch is that it has a bigger screen, which makes it better for watching movies and stuff, which you should keep in mind because, as I said, that stuff is way bigger AND the fact that it's practically an iPhone without the phone. This is important because that means you get all the cool apps, but none of the cool internet unless there's wifi around. It's essentially a mini-laptop, but not as free as you want.

If I had infinite amounts of money at my disposal I'd get the small iPod touch for movies and apps (or just an iPhone, really, because I'd carry both) AS well as the smaller iPod classic.

If I could only afford 1, I'd get either the bigger touch or the smaller iPod classic, and honestly I'd lean toward the classic.

With the 16GB touch 2-3 GBs for movies, 5-7Gbs for TV shows. That leaves about 6GBs for about 30 CDs? (which really isn't as much as it sounds at all), and the function to use the apps with limit exposure to wireless internet where ever it's available (which is a lot of places but not really THAT many, unless you spend a lot of time at coffee houses or on a campus or smth). Even if you do nothing but basically apps and songs you're looking at about 100 CDs (which is pretty solid), but missing out on one of the MAIN REASONS to have a touch.

So basically, unless you don't go out for a long time much, don't listen too much music, don't have many Mp3s to begin with, and don't plan on storing too many videos, the 8GB touch is pretty meh.

IN MY EXPERIENCE, anyway. It really depends on you.

Most of my music is OCR I've thought about really expanding my collection but i don't have the cash just yet. (will when i buy this thing)No movies yet. Might change in the future but i don't do illegal downloading and the movies i have on DVD don't do digital copies unfortunately. (would love LOTR on the go.) At least two possibly three days a week i'm on a college campus for more than 10 hours and i'm at the campus for about 8 when i'm not on the long days. So that's a big step in the touch's direction. Especially since i have a similar network setup at my house.

It's sounding like i might be better off with the touch and go with a high memory variant like the 32 gig despite its high price tag. I can afford one unit and i'm limiting myself to that.

Oh and now that i'm looking at itunes and what it offers.... Yeah i want the 32gig model now! XD

Yea, I didn't think to look but there's isn't even a 16GB option that I can see. Just an 8GB and a 32GB.

8GB is wayy too small, and 16 is borderline, but 32 seems about perfect. If it's in your price range I'd definitely recommend that one. Should be plenty for just about anything.

Also Handbrake is a great free program that does a really great job of ripping DVDs into MP4 format specifically for iPods (even keeps the chapters intact) if you're cool with that. =P

My wife and I recently got 32GB iPod Touches for ourselves, and we love them. 32GB is enough music/movies for anything but the longest road trip, and the ability to surf the web wherever you are for free is incredible. We like it so much that we dropped our phone plans and do everything via Skype now (you can pay Skype to get a number, etc).

We have the added advantage of city-wide wireless in the Twin Cities though, so your mileage will definitely vary. Our time is only spent at home, the University of Minnesota, and borders / the campus coffee shop.