Mario Medly WIP

Tydin

Its in the very begining stages, instruments havent even been chosen, just wanna hear what everyone has to say about it, any suggestion WILL ALWAYS be taken on board!

Id like to know what bits you like, love or hate. What could be added or taken away, anything. This is the first song Ive put up on this site, so I'm very nervous. BUT I can handle critque very well! The more honest the better. Otherwise I'll never grow ^_^

I like what you've got down so far. Definitely something I'll put on my iPod once you finish.

I think some light percussion might add some depth. Something like some soft marching style snare and/or some wishy-washy hi-hat sounds, maybe with some soft splash cymbals too.

So funny that you say that! :D I'm working on the percussions at this very moment! And, yep, there's a defo Marching band feel to them :) No symbols though, I didnt want it too sound too marchy. Theres a few finger snaps in there though, If you have any other Ideas would LOVE to hear them :)

and very very nice of you to say you'd have it on your Ipod, sounds silly but I have always done remixing for myself, never really thought too much about others enjoying them :D Makes me all fuzzy inside! lol

Definitely need some more variance in the velocity here, some parts just sound too mechanical because of a the consistent velocity levels. There are some changes, but they happen few and far between.

Times where the wrong note/a dissonant note is played:

-6 seconds in, a background note

-15 seconds, same note

-Around 57-59 seconds, it happens a couple times

-1:06, lead piano

-After that, there are a few more in the lead melody, not so much a wrong note but just clashes and causes too much dissonance.

Definitely need some more variance in the velocity here, some parts just sound too mechanical because of a the consistent velocity levels. There are some changes, but they happen few and far between.

Times where the wrong note/a dissonant note is played:

-6 seconds in, a background note

-15 seconds, same note

-Around 57-59 seconds, it happens a couple times

-1:06, lead piano

-After that, there are a few more in the lead melody, not so much a wrong note but just clashes and causes too much dissonance.

Awsome! Thanks for pointing them out! I'll sort em out right away! If you have anymore advice Id really love to hear it. :) Thanks again

When I heard just "Mario" the last thing I was expecting was Mario RPG or Yoshi's Island.

Your sample (singular as far as I can tell) is pretty bad and, like Neko said, there's some dissonant notes. Despite the shortcomings and the fact that it's a medley at all, which I almost never like, there's something kind of charming about it.

I'm wondering what kind of arrangement you're going for though. Not everything's going to transition as easily as all-piano.

When I heard just "Mario" the last thing I was expecting was Mario RPG or Yoshi's Island.

Your sample (singular as far as I can tell) is pretty bad and, like Neko said, there's some dissonant notes. Despite the shortcomings and the fact that it's a medley at all, which I almost never like, there's something kind of charming about it.

I'm wondering what kind of arrangement you're going for though. Not everything's going to transition as easily as all-piano.

Well the end result wont be an all piano arrangement. and if I'm honest, I'm not too sure what style I'm going for. I tend to just play arround and if I like the sound of something I just work with it. It will just end up however it ends up :P I'm really not a professional. I know very little at all. Any advice you might give would really help alot :) I'm not sure what you mean by "singular" I've also began sorting out the dissonant notes ^_^

I just wish I had someone around to check my work as I'm going along. I get so worried about how it sounds I start getting scared at the idea of continuing it incase I balls it up even more... lol?

I think some wind instruments, specifically some brass ones, might sound pretty good with what you have so far. Especially with the SMW part. Maybe some harmonica too?

Also, after listening to your WIP a bit more, I feel like some bongo type percussion would sound pretty good, if you choose to stay away from march.

Well ive got some bongos in there now, just adding some tamberines now :)

the mushroom kingdom had a slightly more marchy quality to it though. Im struggling with what to make what now, I agree about winds and brass. the smw bit sounds a bit funny with the brass. i might make it a full on orch? hmm

I mean it sounds like you're only using one sample. Normally I'd be saying "samples," it felt weird.

nah i used a few, i guess ill just ahve to tinker with it all some more ^^ any more advice would be great. i really want this to be a good song as it'll be the first ever i put up for judging

Liking it so far. I like medleys a lot, but I usually prefer them to be more varied. I liked the song selection you had there, but it would be cool if you hit on other songs even if only for a few notes or toss in another section. Also I think you should smooth the transition between SMW and YI, it has a stop and go feel to me. Hard to say though until you put in more instruments. Looking forward to seeing you on the front page.

Liking it so far. I like medleys a lot, but I usually prefer them to be more varied. I liked the song selection you had there, but it would be cool if you hit on other songs even if only for a few notes or toss in another section. Also I think you should smooth the transition between SMW and YI, it has a stop and go feel to me. Hard to say though until you put in more instruments. Looking forward to seeing you on the front page.

On the front page?! haha, I should be so lucky! ^_^ That'd be a dream come true!

Any suggestions for other songs in there, so far theres forest maze mashed up with lets play geno, SMW theme and mushroom kingdom from SMRPG and YI. I was thinking of adding the water theme from the original mario, and maybe something from SMG?

• 4 months later...

Here's an update :)

stats.png

I STILL NEEEEEEED advice, critique, maybe some suggestions for what melodies to add next?

Also looking for some some hands opn practical help, if you think your up for that let me know,

Ive moved it from just reason to cubase and reason ^_^

Please comment below! <3 2 Ya all! XX :sleepdepriv:

stats.png